Fed up - Exercise Rant

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I *know* the benefits of exercise and I *know* that I am in better shape from working out but gosh, do I really need to continue 1.5 hours @ 5 days a week to keep losing weight and getting benefits? I am just tired of it and here lately, I just have to force myself to do it

/rant
  • I know what you mean. I haven't felt like it lately either. I've been so exhausted since I came down to visit my boyfriend over Christmas that I haven't done a traditional workout since I got here. I'm just so tired. I do play guitar hero which does work up a sweat (and gives the brain a workout too).
  • Thanks CC
  • I hear ya. I had all the great plans to get back to regular ex after Christmas. But then I get a horrid cold, that is finally getting better after a week, and the weather has been brutal here, so no walking outside.

But, I am going to get back on the wagon. I've been telling myself, "How much other stuff do you do everyday that you don't want to do and don't even think about it?" Brush your teeth, do the dishes, laundry, trash, blah, blah, blah.
  • Have you tried cutting back? From everything I've read, the recommendations for fitness are 30 minutes 3x a week. Maybe cut off 2 days and see how you do??
  • Thank you
  • is there anything you can do just for fun that doesn't have to count as high intensity exercise but will still keep you moving a bit? Find some dogs or kids to run and play around with maybe? Have a snowball fight with someone?
  • switch it up, find a buddy, ditch a buddy, play music, or ditch the music. According to a new "study" changing these things in your routine may help you enjoy your work out and up the intensity w/out noticing.

p.s. the 30 mins 3x week is for fitness, but for weightloss and sports training more is often recommended, and you often have to build up the amount and days per week over time, but it does add up none the less. My routine right now is 45 mins/day 6 days/week and i'm sure an hour is just around the corner.
  • I think that 1.5 hrs 5 days a week is a freaking LOT of exercise. I can imagine why you are so tired and sick of it. Exercise should make you feel better not worse (at least once you get past the get in shape phase). Cut it in half and see how you feel!
  • Thanks for support and advice everyone
  • Maybe cut it down a little bit....some days I get 1 1/2 hours in and some I'm lucky to get 45mins
  • I think I will try cutting it down a little and see how it goes, thanks
  • I perfer "strenuous activity" to exersise. I like getting out and trail walking and other things that burn calories. I can't stand "gym" type exersise.
  • I have no advice, since I'm not currently very regular with exercise. I know I need to be though... so I have a question for you! What are you doing for 1.5 hours? I have some exercise videos, and some games, and they are 30 minutes, not much longer...

I am however impressed with your dedication, and wish you could pass some of that along to me. I'd definitely spend 1.5 hours a day exercising (if I could figure out what to do) if it meant my weight loss would speed up! So Congrats on that, you rock!!

-Aimee
  • I do DVDs by Jillian Michaels and DVDs from The Biggest Loser