Going to my first meeting at Curves

• I have my first meeting and workout at one of the Curves here and I'm a bit nervous. I feel like it's the first day of gym class and I'm the fatty lingering in the back, hoping no one notices me. Blech!!!
  • I would be willing to bet that there will be other "first timers" there. Don't worry about it and just try to enjoy it. I have heard good things about Curves. I wanted to try my local one but they close at 6:00pm. They must have plenty of stay-at home folks!
  • I used to work at the Curves here. You will make some wonderful friends and believe me you will very soon feel so much at home there. No men, no mirrors is one of their logo's. I found most of the people I met to be very supportive and caring. Don't be afraid to ask questions!! It takes a while to learn the equipment and the staff is there to help you.
  • Congrats! I just started at the gym a couple of days ago and I too had major anxiety about it. You are not alone! I found a lot of support on here in which actually made me go into the experience a lot more relaxed. It was helpful to be reminded that 1) everyone has had a "first day" and can relate to your experience, 2) the gym is representative of the community. You see all shapes and sizes at the gym, just as you would see at the grocery store, the movie theater, or at the coffee house. I found this to be so true! 3) In the off chance that someone does look at you weird (which I have not felt at all!)...so what? We are bettering ourselves and we should be proud of that. No matter what anyone thinks...we are there taking the first step. Awesome! Finally, 4) You have people here who have felt the same anxiety and who are rooting you on! Congratulations for making the first step and I look forward to hearing how the first experience goes for you!
  • Congratulations for taking that step! Being the beginning of the year there will be LOTS of newbies there! Stick it out for a month and unfortunately you'll notice most of them start to drop off But then it gets far less busy!
  • It really wasn't that bad. I still felt really self-concious because the woman too my measurements, wrote my goal, and showed/watched me with the equipment. I think it'll get better as I go along, though. I'm going back tomorrow and hopefully bringing a friend with.