Being mindful and a sliding scale goal...

• So, It took me a year to lose 40 lbs.

If I had been TRYING the entire time, instead of roughly six months I"d have lost more.

but

no time like the present. I've set myself my first longish term goal.

I want to lose 70 lbs by jan 1st 2011.

That is roughly 5-6 lbs a month. This would put me at 190. I remember wehn I lost 70 lbs before and weighed 190. I was a size 18 and a 1x. I thought I was smokin'! And really, my ultimate goal is 175. and i cna knock that other 15 out in 2011. This is very reasonable for me.

But how will I get there, with all the off and oning I've been doing.?

I've decided to set myself quarterly evaluations. I will take time out to answer questions I make myself about my diet/fitness. Every two months I will do a mini eval. and I will mark on the calender daily, for each day that I stay on plan (as well as doing the points challenge here on 3fatchicks).

I Find that, even though some people can't stand to let the whole 'diet' thing be so consuming, I do best when I'm really truly focused on it, when I'm half @$$ing it, I find I don't lose. Which will be fine once maintenance rolls around. (other than around the holidays I Don't really gain when I'm 'off the wagon', I just sort of maintain.)

I'm also participating in the 2010 challenge, and a monthly biggest loser challenge on sparkpeople.

This YEAR. The ENTIRE YEAR. I am going to make my year to shine and sure life gets in the way, but I"m going to try and be really MINDFUL of all the little ways I can get derailed and not let them knock me off track. I think mindfulness is a great skill I learned from dbt that can be used for weight loss.
  • Good for you. I'm trying to step it up this year as well. I had some months (especially in the early part) last year that I wasn't trying. This year I'm trying to lose an average of 4 lbs a month minimum (I want to beat that a few months so I can reach Onederland before 2011).
  • Good for you! That sounds like a very attainable plan and goal, and I look forward to seeing you achieve it. You're smokin' anyway, but weight loss will only enhance how pretty you already are
  • awww, thankee arctic mama. :P

and aclai, we will both do it, I'm sure.
  • You can do it my friend. I KNOW you can. And you KNOW you can!
  • What a great outlook. And I think it's fantastic you maintain when you're off plan. That in and of itself is an accomplishment. It means you aren't overeating. I either try and lose/maintain or I don't try and I gain. I never just maintain without effort. And "maintaining" for me actually means "plateau". I've never actually tried to just maintain...ever.

So here's to a great 2010 and thinner 2011.
  • You can totally do it! I think it's good to have a plan and a goal. (for life in general, not just weight loss!)
  • What a great plan!! Shows you've really thought about what does/doesn't work for you.

Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to "steal" your idea to do quarterly evaluations. Those will be beneficial to me, also.
  • Glad to be of some help!