Workout shoe recommendations, please!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm in the market to buy a new pair of shoes to workout in. I do mostly walking and DVD workouts.

I'm asking on the 100 lb Club because many of you are or have been my size and know that it could be challenging to get the right shoe for someone our size. I wear size 11W.

Any recommendations would be welcome! Thanks!
  • After my foot injury, my physical therapist reccommended that I go to the New Balance store to get fitted. They have wide (and even wider) widths and lots of sizes and can evaluate your foot's stress areas. It's the priciest option, but may save you an injury. You could also go to the NB store and find out what model number you need and then try to find it elsewhere - much cheaper.

I wear my NB when I exercise with my orthotic. I feel like a frump wearing an orthotic, but it has really changed my life as far as what my feet will let me do.

I am probably a bit biased, but don't skimp on your footwear.
  • I don't have any recommendations for you, but a friend once told me this: You spend half of your time in your shoes and the other half of your time in your bed. So you need to be willing to fork over the cash for high quality shoes and a high quality matress! (Maybe the timing isn't quite 50/50, but you get the idea!)

I agree with BeachBreeze-don't skimp on footwear, regardless of what you go with!
  • I went to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They looked at the way I walk and run and determined that I over-pronate and need a stability shoe. I tried on ascics, sauconys, and new balance. The ascics were too narrow for me, the sauconys were good, but the New Balance were great. That said, everyone's different so I suggest trying on a good variety. And REALLY walk around in them, not just the 10 steps down and back "yeah they seem good" thing. If you go to a running store they'll have a treadmill you can walk on for a bit.
  • I wear NB too, but I also were different brands 2. It was recommended to me that I got to a running shoe store. A small owned one...not a big box store. I don't know if you have one of those or not...college towns are great for them. Anyway they know their shoes and running shoes have lots of cushion that our feet need. I hope this helps...good luck!
  • I also recommend going to a running store and get fitted
  • I can't stress the importance of good shoes enough. I am in love with my Asics...they are extremely supportive and comfy, with lots of good cushion. I shelled out $115 for them, but they've lasted me well over a year and 1/2. I have a wide-ish foot, and even their medium width is generous.

Good luck...let us know how you make out!
  • I also use New Balance, the rest I tried are just too narrow/ long.
  • I would recommend getting fitted at a running store too, they have all sorts of sizes and widths. I know a lot of people like New Balance but not me! They didn't work for me at all and used to wear a 11 WW, I'm more like a 9.5 W now.
  • As previously stated, we are all unique so it's important to try on different shoes before finding the right one(s). When I first started out (just taking daily walks), I went to the local discount shoe store and bought a pair of NB running shoes that were on sale. The shoe wasn't a wide width that I needed, but I figured I would break them in with my daily walks. After about 3 months, I decided to go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes. The difference was night and day. I tried on several different pairs. The salesperson was very knowledgeable. I had brought in my workout shoes as well as an old pair of hiking shoes. By looking at the wear patterns on my old shoes and watching how I walked on the treadmill, she was able to appropriately recommend which shoes would best suit my gait. With my properly fitted workout shoes, I am able to exercise more effectively. Of course I paid more by going to the running store, but it was money well spent.
  • I've been wearing NB for years, I love them. It can be individual, like Nelie says, since it can be a money investment, sometimes over $100/pair, you probably are better off going to a good store and trying different kinds on. I herewith admit that I go through a pair in about 7 to 8 months (I give them a lot of use in the gym and through walking in general). A trainer at the gym mentioned, and I've heard elsewhere, that it can be a good idea to have two pair and alternate wearing them, they last longer that way. I haven't done that.
  • Another vote for NB! My brother took me to a NB store and treated me to a pair and I absolutely love them. I have small feet, but I still wear a wide shoe and these are the most comfortable I've ever had.
  • Guess who else loves her New Balances? I have serious ankle issues and they have been the most supportive shoes I've worn in a long time. I bought mine at Big 5, one sale for under $40 (normally $75). My SO just bought a pair there for about the same price.

If your tight on cash, you can always go be fitted for shoes at one of those smaller footwear places and then purchase the shoes at a bigger store or online.
  • Another vote for going to a running store to be properly fitted. I spent the first year in a pair of NB that I loved. I wore them out and now I'm wearing a pair of Saucony's. Love them too.
  • I'm a new balance kinda gal. I keep buying the same pair over and over because I love them. I was fitted properly at the store the first time and now I won't give them up for love or money!