My Friend (a little long but worth the read)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I want to share the story of my dear friend, Ken. He's 58 (almost) and had been overweight for the last 25 years or so. During that time, he developed sleep apnea, heart problems, high blood pressure and Type II diabetes that required insulin to control. At one point, he was on nearly 20 different medications. He was 70 lbs overweight.

Around the beginning of September, he went to a seminar about lap band surgery. Based on his BMI he didn't qualify, but he was hoping his co-morbidities of diabetes and high blood pressure would get him the surgery. His insurance required that he have six months of documented doctor-prescribed weight loss attempts before he would get the green light.

So he began. And day by day, the pounds came off. In just under 4 months, he lost 70 lbs. But more than that--he is off almost every single med, including insulin. His blood pressure? Perfect. Sleep apnea? He's on the lowest setting on his CPAP. Heart issues? No more. His health transformation is nothing short of miraculous. Obviously, he didn't need the surgery now.

So how did he do it? Four simple things:
    1. He writes down every bite that goes in his mouth.
    2. He drinks a lot of water.
    3. He saw himself thinner and healthier--and BELIEVED it.
    4. He wallks his dogs or ride his bike daily.

Needless to say, he inspires me daily. One day, that will be me...
  • That is a great story about your friend. The four steps that he is following is a good recipe for weight loss and fitness in general. I am sure that he is inspiring, not just you, but many people and he is showing that weight loss is doable.
  • That is a great story! I hope your friend knows how many ppl he's inspiring via you today!

Annie

http://299lbs.wordpress.com/
  • What an inspiring story, thanks for sharing
  • Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about peopel who have lost 50+ pounds.
  • This is very inspiring. The thing that I like the most is this:

Quote:
    He saw himself thinner and healthier--and BELIEVED it.
    For so long I never made an effort because I always thought, "Why bother? I'm not capable of becoming thin." I stopped caring and gradually gained weight over ten years.

If there is one thing that is helping me the most in reaching my goal is that I finally believe.

Thank you for this post.
  • Great story.

And I honestly believe that no matter what eating plan you follow, journalling is so helpful.
  • I love it! It's great!

Now, why didn't he just try this long ago? The answer is probably the same as for many folks here, myself included--you just have to get to the point where you are willing to do what it takes. He thought he was getting ready for surgery, but really he was getting ready to be alive!

Jay
  • Great story Jen and very well written! Writing all my food down made a big difference for me.

And yes; one day that will definitely be you!
  • What a great story! I am so happy for your friend. He areally turned his health around.
  • Great story. My fiance has packed on 40 pounds or so in the past year and this month is getting a cpap machine for severe sleep apnea... Maybe I can get both our butts in gear and get him off that machine.
  • Fantastic story! I can't wait to feel the health benifits of dropping these darn pounds!
  • What A Wonderful Story
    Your friend is a great inspiration.
  • Such an inspiration! It amazes me how many others out there think the only way to lose weight is surgery. Nothing against those that choose that path (many medical reasons why surgery is necessary), but there for awhile I thought the only way I could lose weight was surgery. Little did I realize a lifestyle change was all I needed. Eating healthy & exercise was my 'magic pill' for weight loss success. I love the idea of visualizing yourself as thinner and healthier. That's something I haven't really done but I think I'll try to make a more conscious effort. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!
  • Great story. Just a great story. Remarkable what us humans are capable when we put our minds to something. The sky's the limit!!!

This man needed to regain and recapture his health, his life - and he took the steps that were necessary to do so. Ahhh....

Quote:
    For so long I never made an effort because I always thought, "Why bother? I'm not capable of becoming thin." I stopped caring and gradually gained weight over ten years.
    This was EXACTLY the case with me. For years I didn't think I had the ability to lose the weight. I didn't think it was possible for me. Until one day I realized "why the heck NOT me?" Others had done it, so really, "why the heck not me?" It basically boiled down to my signature. I wanted to be a fit, slim, healthy person - well then for goodness sakes start acting like one. Starting BEING one. Ahhh...

We ALL have the ability to do this. Each and every one of us. I am certain of it. Certain.