3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Got the new scale blues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/188595-got-new-scale-blues.html)

Jo Kittibuck 12-22-2009 10:05 PM

Got the new scale blues

Seeing as I'm rededicating myself to my weightloss plan, I decided to get a shiny new digital scale, to replace my cheaper analog. But where I expected the digital to be maybe a little higher, just how much higher scared the pants off me.

My analog scale reading this morning : 225
My digital scale reading this morning : 241

That's a heck of a variance! One of them's gotta be busted, and the sinking feeling in my stomach is saying, it's the analog.

So I guess my question to y'all of Three Chicks, is : are there any stores or other places where I could check my weight on a professional scale? I've seen blood pressure things at pharmacies, would they maybe have scales too?

CLCSC145 12-22-2009 10:10 PM

Do you have a friend or neighbor you could swing by and try theirs? Or you could go to your doctor's office - they would weigh you without a visit or maybe a local walk-in clinic?

I'm sorry you had such a shock! That would scare the pants off me too. :hug:

Suezeeque 12-22-2009 10:14 PM

If you use a gym they should have one there? Also, when I was in TN I walked into a hospital and asked them if I could use their balance scale and they were happy to accomodate me. I didn't trust the scale at the spa where I was staying so I wanted to compare another scale. I know what you are saying though; I got a new scale a couple of months ago and it is 2lbs heavier consistently. Nothing like your's though. Something is majorily wrong with one of them; but, you are right, chances are it's the old one. I weighed on a spring scale for weeks that was in a rental house and when I bought a house and moved, my scale was 25lbs heavier. I can tel you that took a little getting used to! Go check it out so you can find out what the truth is; and then you can get started on accepting it, good or bad. I hope it's good.

Gracie789 12-22-2009 10:44 PM

Wow, that's a new scale horror story! You could try to check both scales to see if they are accurate (try weighing a weight if available or something like a 5lb bag of sugar). If that doesn't help, going to your Doctor, gym (even if not a member it doesn't hurt to ask to use their scale), or public scales like at GNC/Publix. Good luck!

lovemyboy 12-22-2009 11:04 PM

I like the idea of weighing something with a known weight to test. I'm sure your doctor's office would be happy to provide a free weigh in or perhaps one of those walk in urgent care/sports physical places.

No matter what nothing negates the work you've done and the number of pounds that you have lost. Don't let a battery powered device take that away.

ubergirl 12-22-2009 11:15 PM

Oh dear! That's just AWFUL. I avoided getting a new scale for the longest time because I was afraid of that very thing.

Just a word to the wise-- I had two really dreadful digital scales, so don't necessarily assume that the digi one is more accurate. Also, I noticed that some scales are fine with a small weight but get less and less accurate as the weight increases.

My two scales both weighed my son correctly at 37 lbs, but weighed me with more than a 10 pound difference.

Good luck, and PLEASE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED. Remember that it's all relative and you have lost a TON so far.

bonnnie 12-23-2009 02:38 AM

What would I honestly do? You've obviously lost at least 50 lbs, which is huge -

I'd take the new digital back - say it was broken (because it is), and stay out of the digital section period! Use all that money to buy a new exercise outfit!

Keep movin' sister! Keep losin'!

And besides weighing on your old scale, find a pair of jeans you've always wanted to fit into and use that as another guide.

Don't freak out- have a good, happy day - there is nothing you need to "face", REALLY. Numbers are silly and psychologically it is not a good idea to keep the digital. You need your motivation to stay high n order to keep losing.

LizR 12-23-2009 08:25 AM

Make sure both scales are zeroed properly. For analog scales it is obvious if it starts at zero. For digital there are usually instructions for properly zeroing the scale. To get a third weight you could just go to a store grab an analog scale and weight yourself while no one is looking. :D Whichever weight you actually are the important thing is that you have done so amazing losing and to keep up the good work. Don't get down about it.

2annabelle 12-23-2009 08:39 AM

The scale may not be working properly. I bought a digital scale, and stood on it 3 or 4 times one after the other (after it went back to zero), and each time I had a different weight - literally within minutes! That scale went back to the store and was replaced with a different brand which has a consistent weight. I've also noticed that the floor surface a scale is on can make a difference on the weight. On a hard floor, it may be a lower number than on a carpeted floor.

Eliana 12-23-2009 08:43 AM

I think I was using your analog scale the last time I did this. :dizzy: My doctor's office weighed me 15 lbs higher. I would just close my eyes and ask the doctor not to tell me how much I weighed but instead how much I had lost. Their loss always matched my loss, so at least I know my crappy scale measured loss accurately. Yours probably did too. And you are the same person now that you were before you bought the new scale. It's a horrible mental adjustment to have to make, but it's entirely a mental game. You're in the same clothing size you were yesterday. You've accomplished just as much weight loss as you did yesterday. You simply have a new number to work with now.

Sucks, I know.

Now on the plus side, now that I'm doing this again with a better scale, I know that I have to get to 200 to match the 185 I thought I had made it to before. :D And I'm getting closer!

starfishkitty 12-23-2009 11:55 AM

Ugh! That happened to me only I found out at the doctor's my scale was about 15lbs-ish lower than I actually was! Imagine my surprise when I thought I was 239 or so and I was actually in the mid 250's! Horrooooorr!

I'd like to say three things though.

One, scales do tend to get off their rockers after some time... something about the weights inside getting worn out or something?... so an older scale will probably have more chance of being wrong than a newer one.

Second, not all digital scales are created alike. A bad digital scale is worse than an old analog one sometimes, I swear! I got a cheap digital scale and the thing was a piece of $#*&! I returned it and bought the Eatsmart scale from Amazon (about $30) that a bunch of 3FCers recommended to me and I haven't ever been so happy with a scale... it's never been wrong (compared it to two doctor's offices) and you can get on it five times in a row with the same weight! So basically.. it's all about the digital scale you choose.

Thirdly, and finally, just remember that you HAVE lost that weight, even if you didn't start at the weight that you thought you did. Changing your starting and current weights doesn't nix the fact that you've lost that massive and incredible amount of weight that you did! :) So keep chuggin at it, invest in a GOOD scale, one you know you can depend on, and don't give up! You'll be where you wanna be in no time. :)

greentara 12-23-2009 12:31 PM

I HATE getting new scales! I finally had to get a new one, and it registered 15 pounds higher! :fr:

I finally bit the bullet and recorded that weight as my starting weight. It was not a happy day for me, but really it's just a number. My body is still the same even though my mind is freaked out at the higher number. Now, I have adjusted to the new numbers and hope to get to a point where it won't matter because any number on any scale will be low. :cool:

medinazarley 12-23-2009 04:59 PM

my advice, as a soon-to-be medical professional, use the analog scale until you've met your goal weight loss and then set an appointment for your annual physical and ask your dr. for any reccomendations on weight loss.

scales and thermometers are weird, and the way to judge your health is to use the same device in the same way every time.

good luck!