Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #76  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
Robin, a california roll (the whole roll) is estimated here at 255 calories and 7 grams of fat. I don't know how many rolls you normally would eat, but any roll I'd only eat one. Sounds pretty low-calorie to me!
I love sushi, so much that I really have to watch myself - I don't think I'd want to stop at 1 roll! That's why it's a rare treat for me...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #77  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post
It is funny reading through everyone's comments and seeing how some people love what others hate and vice versa.
I kind of like Fat Free Plain Yoghurt.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #78  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
I love sushi, so much that I really have to watch myself - I don't think I'd want to stop at 1 roll! That's why it's a rare treat for me...
Well, really, it's rice and fish and vegetables. Unless you get the tempura rolls, it's low fat and healthy (depending, of course, on your opinions of white rice). If you go the sashimi route, then you can skip the rice and just eat the fish. And fish is always touted as a low-fat protein source high in omega 3 fatty acids and ideal for "dieting"...but sorry. Texture. Oh and flavor. Fish does NOT work for me!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #79  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post

And back to diet foods: I like baked chips now and then, but I do not care for baked tortilla chips unless they're covered in salsa. And hey, the salsa's good for you!
Salsa, though not a *typical* diet food is actually quite low calorie. Most salsas come in at about 15 calories for a couple of tablespoons. I eat it often. Those baked chips on the other hand - not so low calorie at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
Robin, a california roll (the whole roll) is estimated here at 255 calories and 7 grams of fat. I don't know how many rolls you normally would eat, but any roll I'd only eat one. Sounds pretty low-calorie to me!
One roll just doesn't satisfy me. I need LOTS more filling power/nutrition from my 255 calories for it to be included in my daily day in day out diet.

But besides, again, and this is just me, I still never looked at it as *diet* food. There are lots of low calorie foods out there and I don't consider them *diet* foods either. Chicken breasts, turkey breast, fruits, vegetables, soups, fish, tuna, veggie burgers - all lower then those 255 calories and I just look at them as *regular* food. They're (mostly) wholesome, natural foods - not commercially altered in some way to lower their caloric content, I suppose with the exception to the veggie burger. But I don't think their main selling point is that they ARE *dietetic*. That's why I said that I used to have this preconceived notion about grapefruit being a *diet* food and realized that it really wasn't. It was just a food that HAPPENED TO BE LOW IN CALORIES, that was not at all produced or altered in order to save calories.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #80  
Haley wants to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Tofu. Shirataki. Noodles.

Yes, I rinsed them. Yes, I cooked them properly. No, they're not edible for me.
I just have to hold my nose before I put sauce on them because the smell is awful lol
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #81  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82
Tofu. Shirataki. Noodles.

Yes, I rinsed them. Yes, I cooked them properly. No, they're not edible for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleygirl82 View Post
I just have to hold my nose before I put sauce on them because the smell is awful lol
I've never tried these and I gotta tell you this thread is not making me want to any time soon. Or at all. Ever. For all of eternity. And then some.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #82  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

I LOVE tofu and LOATHE the Shiratake!!!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #83  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Robin, I'm with you on sushi--it's not "diet" food in my book if "normal" folks eat it! To me, diet food is fat-free dairy products (shudder) and rice cakes and egg substitute. I can take some low fat products but yeccch on fat-free cheese and salad dressing!

I'm always amused by some of the substitutes for high fat restaurant options on sites like Hungry Girl. Waaaay too much trouble. I'll just skip fried foods. 'Course, I'm just a throw it together person--that's why some of my favorite recipes are soups.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #84  

Fat-free mayo...yucko! I rarely eat mayo now as I now like mustard...but fat-free mayo makes me gag.

Rice cakes...yucko! I agree with another poster about it being like styrofoam!

Yogurt...yucko! I can only eat the "whipped" yogurt...I can't get past the slimy texture of regular yogurt.

Nutrisystem....everything started tasting the same...yuck.

Weird fat free bread that doesn't even toast....looks plastic...yucko!

I have many more I'm sure! lol
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #85  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Hmmm... I'm with a lot of you guys on the cottage cheese. Just can't do it. Blech.

Also: avacado (supposed to be healthy, good fats, etc but it just makes me yark!), any diet pop but pepsi, tofu, or most frozen diet meals.

I started my diet journey with Nutrisystem for five months, and while I'm eternally grateful to them for teaching me how to eat properly in a lot of ways and I lost a good deal of weight on it... I'm REALLY glad to be away from their dang food! Yuck! My intestines are happier too.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #86  
trying again

S/C/G: 280/280/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
Fat-free mayo...yucko! I rarely eat mayo now as I now like mustard...but fat-free mayo makes me gag.

Rice cakes...yucko! I agree with another poster about it being like styrofoam!

Yogurt...yucko! I can only eat the "whipped" yogurt...I can't get past the slimy texture of regular yogurt.

Nutrisystem....everything started tasting the same...yuck.

Weird fat free bread that doesn't even toast....looks plastic...yucko!

I have many more I'm sure! lol
I have to agree on rice cakes. They taste like the styrofoam stuff that they use to pack packages so that things won't break.

Fat-free cheese is like cheap rubber. Fat-free mayo and dressings have that really weird aftertaste. Fat-free sour-cream has ruined the taste of everything I have ever put it in.

Fat-free microwave popcorn is another yuck of mine. It always burns in my microwave and then I have that toxic burning taste to add to the tasteless taste of the popcorn.
greentara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 264*184.0*145 Sz20*12*8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I am so turned off by the "look" of it, that it's never even passed my lips.

Agreed. And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.
Oh I remember trying to eat those. I would end up sick every week. I just can't eat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
This smoothie recipe:

1 cup skim milk
1 banana
1 package of Sweet n Lo
6 ice cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract

thin milk, tiny ice cube chunks, artificial sweetner, and banana.... YUCK.

And to think I could have just eaten a banana and drunk a glass of milk, LOL.
OMG...This made laugh so loud!!!!
Jae165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #88  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

*The Healthy Choice pasta steamers...like it literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about them. I tried the Ziti and it was like, sickly sweet and the noodles had a grainy texture..?! It was bad enough I skipped lunch. Me...skipped lunch...wow. (I've actually noticed that a lot of the Healthy Choice meals smell or taste extremely sweet in a very fake way. A girl at work eats them often and when the smell hits my nose at my desk, I know exactly what it is! Ew)

*Grapefruit. It's just so BITTER.

That being said, I love Lean Cuisine's. The cheese ravioli is my favorite and doesn't taste too different from restaraunt ravioli to me. They also used to make another kind called Pot Stickers, which now I can't find anywhere, that I absolutely LOVED. (Does anyone know if they still make them or do you guys have them in your stores?). I also like cottage cheese and rice cakes too!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 264*184.0*145 Sz20*12*8

Height: 5'2"

OH WAIT.....

BEETS!!!!!!!!!!!

BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have to agree with the majority, I can't do cottage cheese. The texture is just too much for me to handle.
Jae165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

so i mentioned like 80 posts ago that I hate low-cal dairy products, esp. ranch dressing.

I picked up the spray-on italian because i love it at my mom's house, and I noticed they have a ranch vinigrette. i picked that up too, out of curiosity.

It's delish!!!, 15 cals/10 sprays, satisfyes the craving w/out the weird tastes low-cal versions have.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote