Entertaining myself with numbers (BMI)

• Another eye opener. I've had a few of them recently. I hadn't realized I had entered the "morbidly obese" category until I just messed with the numbers. I actually thought I was way far away from it, but apparently I wasn't.

5'4" classifications:

normal: 108-145 lbs (BMI 18.5-24.9)
    overweight: 146-174 lbs (BMI 25-29.9)
    Class I obesity: 175-203 lbs (BMI 30.1-34.9)
    Class II obesity: 204-232 lbs (BMI 35-40)
    Class III obesity: 233 lbs+ (BMI 40+)

So I started out at about 235 lbs. I might have been a bit more.

It looks like I need to get down to 203 to be in the class I category. That's a good goal.
  • And it's a goal you are so close to! I knew about obesity and morbid obesity, but I didn't realize there were "classes". Interesting.

I started with a BMI of 45.9 and today it's 30.9. 7.4 pounds to go to be "overweight". Sigh. I can't wait.
  • That's a great goal!

I remember learning about these BMI classes too. At the time, I didn't fully realize just how much extra weight I was carrying. My starting BMI was a whopping 43.8, well within Class III obesity. I was shocked, I didn't realize that I was THAT obese. Now, looking at pictures from back then, I can believe it. I think that happens to many people.
  • Quote: I started with a BMI of 45.9 and today it's 30.9. 7.4 pounds to go to be "overweight". Sigh. I can't wait.
    Wow, that is sooo close! You'll be there in no time CLCSC145!
  • I started morbidly obese with a BMI of 45

Now I'm class one with a BMI of 34.

Can't wait to get to 29 or just overweight. I'll hit that at 195, which is a very symbolic weight for me anyway because it's what I weighed the first time I stepped on the scale for my first (of four pregnancies...) That was the highest weight I had ever seen in my life, but little did I know that I was headed for 18 years of obesity after that.

Glad I finally decided to stop and head back down. The best decision of my life.
  • My starting BMI was over 50. That's about right, I need to lose another person in bodyweight. It's kinda scary that I lug around that much weight all of the time. I guess that's why overweight bodies burn up more calories.
  • I hadn't realized these classes existed until just recently, but it shocks me to think I was class III morbidly obese to begin with, and yet I thought I wasn't 'all that bad'. My BMI is the lower end of class II now, and I am SO glad!