3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   to run, or not run? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/186615-run-not-run.html)

RubyBlue 11-17-2009 03:18 PM

to run, or not run?

Every Thanksgiving morning, for the past 3 years, I have ran (jogged) in a local 8k race with my family. This is something that has been a source of great pride and accomplishment for me. 4 years ago I could barely walk 2 miles!

I signed up for this race a few months ago but, I am simply not in the best physical shape to run 5 miles this year. I could hurt my knees and worse, my stubborn pride.
The last 8k I ran was in March, but I haven’t trained or even jogged a day since. I weigh 30lbs more now and I am really torn about this Thanksgiving race.

Do I not show up at all? I think I might regret that. Do I participate and do a walk/jog best I can? I just really don’t want to turn this race into something that makes me feel shameful or inadequate. I know I am the one that makes myself feel this way, but I am afraid I will have to fight off that failure demon again. I think finishing any race should feel great. Don’t know if I can feel that way when I’ve added 2-3 minutes onto my mile.

Any thoughts on how I should mentally approach this? I want to stay positive and not put myself in a situation where I would feel worse. That make sense?

lovetorun 11-17-2009 03:23 PM

It wouldn't be wise to try to run an 8K race that you haven't trained for. Why not walk it if you feel you want to show up and participate in the event? There is nothing shameful about walking 8K and supporting a charity (which most of these races do). If this is the wake-up call you need to get back into running shape, why not make a goal to complete a 5k/8k next spring (set a date now) and kick off your training now?

Good luck with your decision and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

CLCSC145 11-17-2009 03:39 PM

I say walk it! What will feel worse: getting out there and walking it with your family in what has become a tradition or sitting at home during the race and thinking about how you chose to do nothing rather than compromise?

One of the hardest lessons I'm trying to learn is that life isn't all or nothing. There is so much joy and accomplishment to be found in the middle ground. Do what you can without hurting yourself and take pride in not having given up. :hug:

Thighs Be Gone 11-17-2009 03:46 PM

How about a nice walk or leisurely jog as you are able. I am with you--you will regret not doing it otherwise. You have nothing to hang your head in shame about--just do it! :)

Fat Pants 11-17-2009 03:58 PM

Oh, runners and our competitive nature. :) I can so relate to worrying that you'll feel less than happy if your mile time is longer, or if you have to walk it. I have totally been there with some races. But you know what? I think this race is more about just running the entire thing, or staying close to your usual mile time. It's a tradition with your family, and that means it's more than just a race. I think you might regret it if you don't go, and remember - you are the only one who can allow those feelings of shame and regret. Also, you never know how well you can run it until you try. :)

Nada 11-18-2009 11:01 AM

Walk it and know that there are some of us out here jealous of you (namely, me). To have a family tradition that incorporates fitness is a great thing! I'll be cleaning and cooking for the crowd and wishing I could be out there with you.

HeaterAS 11-18-2009 11:25 AM

Walk it! I'm also jealous your family has a tradition that incorporates fitness. That's awesome.

FitGirlyGirl 11-18-2009 02:28 PM

I'm also voting for walk it. It may cause you to feel like a failure for a little while, but that will go away if you get back into training an then are able to run them again, if you miss a year of a pretty awesome tradition with your family just because of stubborn pride the regret of that would probably take much longer to get over, if ever.

JustBeckyV 11-18-2009 08:37 PM

I vote for the walking as well! It might just be the kick you feeling you are missing to get motivated again.

RubyBlue 11-18-2009 11:18 PM

Ok, I thought long about it and I think power walking is my choice! While I may have not been training with runs, I have been power walking 4-5 miles a few times a week since I got back on track. So, I am going to make the best of my fitness level right now and be thankful for that. I think I already knew this answer i just needed a push!
I like the goal setting idea. I decided through the winter I am going to try and get myself back up and running (literally). The treadmill misses me I'm sure.

I have to say I am lucky to have a couple really supportive and athletic family members who have helped me through every single race. It would be a shame to miss out on that great support. I think I was partly worried to be embarrassed when I tell them I can't run. In reality, it's all about having fun and giving to a good cause. So I'm staying focused on that.

ChristaP516 11-19-2009 10:58 AM

Good for you!

FitGirlyGirl 11-19-2009 12:37 PM

I'm so glad you made that choice, I know you won't regret it. Have fun!

H8cake 11-19-2009 01:34 PM

I'm glad you decided to walk it. Be proud of where you are and that you are moving forward. If you stayed home you would feel awful. I know, I avoided things like this for many years and it was just a downward spiral. When you decide to get out and do your best you make progress. Please come back and tell us all about it!

bcort 11-19-2009 09:02 PM

Yay for you! You'll have a great time walking it, & it will feel soooo much better than making excuses & staying at home!

Idealmuse 11-20-2009 01:00 AM

I'm glad you're going for it. There is no shame in walking and in fact you can feel good about the fact you're not setting yourself up for injury by running when you're not trained enough... which would cause you further problems down the road. After speed walking you can spend the year training for next year where you can blow your old time out of the ballpark. :)