Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #31  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

115# bicep curls? Yeah I guess you do embarass the guys sometimes! I'm impressed--I'm going to raise my weight 5# on the bicep machine in your honor and I still won't be at half of what you do. Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't love weights like I do cardio, but I know it is important.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I know the scale goes up a bit when you start lifting weights, but eventually with proper diet and water, I will still lose weight right?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #33  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Chickybird-- once the fat loss is greater than the couple of pounds water weight you gain from lifting weights, the scale starts going down again.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

thanks!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #35  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

What a wonderful thread! I love weight lifting, and try and get it in at least twice a week. I do 2 sets of 12 reps each at weights that cause fatigue by the 11th rep (weight obviously varies depending on the body part I'm working). I like how my biceps are starting to show definition, I just wish the rest of me was. But since I'm about 70-80 lbs overweight, I've got a lot of fat on top of the muscle I'm building.

Got to admit, that once I learned about weight training helping to burn more calories even at rest or sleeping (more muscle increases your base metabolic rate), I was all for weight training.

I've got a back injury that flares up again from time to time, so I've got to be especially careful about engaging the abs and using proper form/technique.

Thanks again, DC, for this thread! You are truly an inspiration and have rekindled the weight training fire within me.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #36  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
I've harped on this before...sorry. But it's so important.
Hey DC! I just got back from vacation and this is the 1st thread I decided to read, one word "AWESOME"! Lovinging all the positive and inquisitive follow up posts.

My two cents I'm just going to say DITTO to all the benefits DC and others pointed out and I'll add that at 145lbs I can fit into a size 4 or 6 depending on store/brand. Seriously that still boggles my mind! There is no way I would be as small as I am without weight lifting.

Yes, you read that right I said small and weight lifting in the same sentence. Ladies you will NOT look like the Hulk lifting heavy
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

One thing else I'd add is step away from the machines and move into free weights when you can. I started initially with machines but I have to say free weights are so much better.

It was funny, the other day my stomach muscles were so sore!! Did I do crunches? Did I do sit ups? leg lifts? any ab exercise? nope. I'm doing a new routine right now and I can tell the difference. Also something I noticed when I initially started doing free weights is my balance also got so much better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #38  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

Great posts everybody, I'm ready to do some weights now!!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #39  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

115# is on the machine, using both arms, but yeah. The boys don't like that.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #40  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
115# is on the machine, using both arms, but yeah. The boys don't like that.
Wholly cr*p, you are strong DC!!! Very impressive! Is that doing bicep curls or peacher curls on the machine? How many reps can you do using that weight? WOW

I thought I was bad a** using a 60lbs barbell to do bicep curls. I can do 45lbs on the machine doing preacher curls...haven't tried the machine to do regular curls. Now I got to try it to see what I can lift

Here's a funny guy story from the gym this morning. I was doing pushups and some goober working with his trainer, in the same area as me, said he wanted to do pushups after I caught him checking me out. Then he could only do 5 before his form went to **** and his trainer kept telling him to go all the way down...haha

Silly guy, don't think pushups are easy just because you see a chick doing them!

I know this guy is new because I haven't seen him before and all of us regardless of gender have to start somewhere but I couldn't help it this just made me chuckle
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #41  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Speaking of pushups, last night in karate, we were told to do 30 pushups. There was a lot of groaning but I did 30 and my husband did 30 but a few of the girls and guys stopped way before us and I even saw some really bad form.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #42  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I wish my gym had a barbell, all it has is dumbbells and I can barely pick up anything over a 35. 115# on a machine is nowhere near doing it with freeweights.

I can do maybe 8 if I start out fresh. I have to bust through those last couple, though, especially if there's someone standing there waiting on the machine.

I sling 50-70 lb dogs around all day, that definitely builds strength and endurance.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #43  
Nana to Alyssa

Height: 5'11

Interesting post. I have been riding my bike to success for 3 years now - gradually increasing to where I am presently, 45 minutes a day, 5x a week. I just started to add weights and my boss, as a belated birthday present, is giving me an hour with his personal trainer for her to teach me how to do weights properly. Will letcha know how that goes!
KarenAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #44  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I could not agree more! I love.. love free weights. (plus they are better for you then the machines) I love what they have done for my body - I'm half way to goal and already have shape.. in my arms, thighs and butt! Who knew I had butt muscles?

If you have the money - invest in a personal trainer. Mine is $25/week at the Y - how much money did you spend on fast food? or to sit around and "chat" at WW? Trust me - this is the best money spent! Go to the Y.. and they will train you for free for the first 3 months. I sound like an informational - but it has changed my life.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #45  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I found this thread looking for older threads talking about the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (I'm thinking of buying it and wanted to hear other opinions on it) and I just found it to be SUCH an inspiration for me that I wanted to bump it in case anybody else needed to hear it right now.

Right now I'm 192lbs and that's 4lbs above the highest weight I was pre-pregnancy (where I gained all my weight) and 17lbs above my weight when I actually got pregnant. However, I've been lifting. I started doing water aerobics a few months ago and I was doing that with those floating water weights. I've since moved on to actual weights and let me tell you, there's a HUGE difference in my body now vs. my prepregnancy body (and I'm not talking about my lovely tummy ). I'm actually in my prepregnancy pants already (yes, the ones I was wearing when I was 17lbs lighter!) and one of the pairs is actually big on me.

I haven't seen the scale drop recently but I've been losing inches so I just really needed the encouragement from this thread at this point in time. I think I AM going to pick up the book....
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote