Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #16  

Height: 6'1

Thank you for sharing your story. I know I hear it all the time how beneficial weight training is, but its nice to hear a success story to confirm that.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #17  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I can't wait to get moved into our new house so I can lift more often (that is where our weight stuff is). Right now it's very spuratic, but I dream of hitting the weights 2-3 times a week, and hubby finally says that we can get a Wii complete with the Fit for our "gym" I'm soooo excited!

Thanks for the reminder
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #18  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That's awesome!! I do lift weights as well but probably could do more!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

Wow! I have always been proud of the fact that I have lost so much weight with very little excercise...NOT ANYMORE!! This post just kicked my butt into high gear. From here on I will make an honest effort to get as much excercise in as possible. This is just one more reasons that I love this site!
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #20  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

It's so true. I got a Facebook message from an old college roommate about some recent pictures I posted. She said I looked 'exactly the same' as the last time she saw me. What I think she meant was I haven't aged (though she hasn't seen me up close in 15 years!), which is nice. But the truth is that I weigh a mere 10 pounds less than the last time she saw me, but I'm a size 8/10 now, whereas I was a 14/16 when she knew me. That's a pretty major difference, and all because I'm so toned.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

There is much truth in what you say...but of all the exercises out there...I hate weights the most. SOOOO boring. I know I *should* be doing it, but alas...
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #22  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

For people who are new to weight-lifting -- if you're into exercise videos -- try checking out Chalean Extreme. I had NEVER done weight-lifting before getting those videos, and now I love it! (And though I haven't lost pounds yet I can tell I've toned up in the month since I started!) There's also an instructional DVD that shows you how to do everything with proper form and prevent injury, which is really good for a beginner.

The idea of Chalean Extreme is that you lift heavy weights for only a few repetitions. That means you get a really good workout in a short time. The program is about 3 days of weight-lifting per week, 2 of cardio, and 2 of rest. I love love love it. Feel free to PM me if you want more info about it. (And no, I'm not making any money for recommending these videos -- I just love them and think they're *that* good!)
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #23  
Believe...

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

It worked!!! I went from the weighted glove to 5# hand weights and I got to move my ticker today!! Thanks for the tip!!
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #24  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Raise your hand if you heart weights. I love my dumbbells. I just got them yesterday and worked out with them for the first time today. It was just what my arms were needing. I love the feeling you get after a good workout, where your muscles have that slight ... I don't know what to call it. It's not really a burn, but it's that slight soreness when you move them that says you tore me down today, but it only builds me up tomorrow. ^^
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #25  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I have always been proud of the fact that I have lost so much weight with very little excercise
Yeah, so was I. Everyone (back then) was all like, wow you must work out a lot. Nope, never. We have excellent public transportation here in the DC Metro area but I drove into work (back then) because I was too lazy to walk 4 blocks from Metro to my office, and back, every day. Lazy, lazy, lazy. So when I got down in the 190s I was really dissatisfied with my body. Flabby, squishy, yucky.

Not now! I weigh around 230 but I look like I weigh under 200 lbs. I credit weight lifting (and whole foods, not artificial junk) with this transformation. Go lift weights! Do it now!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 170/131.5/133

Height: 5'2"

I started using a gym in August - I do a mix of resistance and cardio and have noticed that my shaped is definitely getting mored honed, and that I am fitting into clothes I bought when I last lost weight that I could only fit into when I weighed less thanI do now - so I definitely am a believer in the power of exercise!

Must go as off to gym!
W5fatgirlslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #27  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Thanks for the reminder.
Think I'll start with some free weights
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #28  
Out is Through

DC, is it normal to see the numbers move up on the scale when you first start strength training?
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
DC, is it normal to see the numbers move up on the scale when you first start strength training?

I'm not DC but I will answer this...YES! Don't get discouraged. It is a good thing.

I have worked out with weights for years. I do the Firm and use heavy weights. They are responsible for a few years ago when I lost 40 lbs and weighed 230...I fit into a tight size 16...at 5 foot 4 inches.

I do want to note though that you should have some sort of program in mind when lifting weights. Whether it's doing it with a fitness video like the firm, p90x, or chalean extreme (which I need to look into! sounds like it would be just up my alley!), or going to a personal trainer.
I second the routines from the new rules of weight lifting for women. I'd ignore a lot of the eating advice since he's mainly talking to women who are already either at goal weight or close to goal weight (he doesn't advocate much cardio), but the routines are great. I went from doing pushups against a desk to doing full pushups on my toes with that series. And the routines don't take very long either.
You just want to be careful when starting out. Muscle building requires a schedule of sorts because most of the work done to make muscles is done AFTER the gym and when your muscles are resting. So you need to make sure you don't do arms heavy two days in a row, or legs or back...because you aren't giving your muscles a chance to repair and grow.
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #30  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Just to second that, yes, if you are in a building phase it's not unusual to stall or gain. Who cares, your clothes will be getting bigger and bigger!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote