Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Loose skin?

Does anyone have any tips to avoid loose skin? I am very afraid of it! Not afraid enough to stay fat, but still afraid. Also, I am concerned about my face wrinkling up and looking older!

Any tips?
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Fantastic FAQ here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #3  
I'm on my way!

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You're welcome
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I've lost 155 lbs and so far? not HALF as bad as I thought... and my face looks AWESOME! I do credit this to a whole foods diet with GOOD fats and lots of healthful foods
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My biggest tip would be to not give it another thought. Your skin will do what your skin will do.

The most important thing is for you to get to a healthy weight. Having loose skin doesn't increase your chances of having some pretty horrific health conditions and diseases.

I beg you to not be concerned about it. You will be so overwhelmingly thrilled with your results that any loose skin you may have will not bother you in the least.

It is way better to be slim, trim and healthy with a bit of loose skin then it is to remain overweight with none.

And like Meg always says, if you're that displeased with the results you can always gain the weight back. But I'm fairly certain that won't be the case! So please, please, please don't fear it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

skin was a big concern for me... so I had decided that somehow we would find a way to pay for surgery for me to get rid of it... then I starded looking at pics of before and after... boy oh boy those scars are a lot more nasty looking than some extra skin. I have told hubby that he will just have to turn off the light if the skin gets to be too much. He is a good liar and said something about loving my body at any size and shape because it's mine...I love him
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I gotta be honest... it's a concern of mine but I have so far pushed it away from my mind. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I mean, you really don't know how big an issue it will be until you get to goal, or really close.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #9  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I figure I'll deal with it when it gets here!

...and hello 155 pound loss!! CONGRATS
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I also recommend making sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet. I probably go a little overboard (I eat nuts and salmon almost every day, EVOO, flax, etc on others, plus I take fish oil and EPO supplements). But as a result, I think my facial skin is in *better* shape than when I started (and I'm getting near 50). I do think my thighs and abdomen are looser than if I hadn't been overweight, but I don't have any extra folds or wrinkles there. I also recommend losing weight slowly.

I'm not saying that these measures will prevent extra skin, but I do think they will help minimize the effect and both eating healthy fats and losing weight slowly are very important for good health.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #11  
I'm on my way!

Thanks everyone. My goal is to lose 107 pounds. Maximum would be 120. It sounds like some of you with more loss than that aren't really having an issue.

Where can I get information on how these good fats help the skin elasticity???
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The loose skin is just ... frustrating. My face didn't sag, though. The problem areas are my neck, my belly, my thighs & my upper arms. The latter bother me the most. I have some decent definition in my arms, but still have the jiggle. Can't seem to get rid of it, no matter how much time passes or how much I work my triceps & biceps. I've got a gorgeous dress for a friend's wedding but have decided on covering up with a lace bolero so I'm not thinking about my arms when I ought to be enjoying myself & celebrating my friend's big moment.

I'm not going to spend the money on surgery, though. There are other things I want to do with that money. Travel, stuff for my new apartment, savings toward retirement. So since I have decided against surgical modification, I deal with my discontent by reminding myself that I'm human. I cannot become perfectionistic about this. There's a lot you can change about yourself, but you cannot change everything through sheer force of will & positive thinking. When I lost weight, I wasn't originally trying for bodily perfection. I was trying to be healthier & to look more normal. I moved the goal posts as I went along, and began wanting more & more, because suddenly, conventional beauty, which had always seemed to be beyond my grasp, looked nearly attainable. But now I've talked myself down from those aspirations. They just get me into trouble. Perfectionism & all or nothing thinking is the enemy! It's what got me fat & kept me fat for a long time.

So I remind myself why I started this project. I try to remember that I lost weight so I wouldn't have to think so much about how unacceptable my appearance was, & so that I could get on with other things in my life. Fretting over the loose skin would be just like fretting over the fat, wouldn't it? I would still be imprisoned by my discontent with my body. I really do not want to live that way.

Anyway, being a slave to perfectability of one's physique is a losing game. Age will take its toll eventually, even if fat doesn't. Being healthy & being active & feeling like a not-freak & wearing nice clothes are all a good tradeoff for a little loose skin.

I try to see the skin as honorable battle scars. I engaged with life; I worked at taking control over my health, instead of sticking my head in the sand & letting myself get bigger & bigger every year out of apathy. And life bit me back. It gave me as good as it got. Loose skin is my medal or Girl Scout honor badge.

Last edited by saef; 10-16-2009 at 11:23 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I got this from a quick google. It looks pretty good but there are lots of other sites if you want more info...

http://www.healthyfellow.com/163/natural-skin-care/

Here's the most relevant excerpt:

This final experiment supports the earlier findings I shared about flaxseed oil. In this trial, a purified fish oil supplement was tested to see if it could help improve skin elasticity in women.

24 healthy, middle-aged women participated in this study. For 3 months they were asked to take fish oil on a daily basis, after which a special dermatological assessment was made using a device called an “optical cutometer”. It was found that there was a 10% increase in skin elasticity by the end of the trial.

ETA: BTW, I don't think I had seen this research before! I had incorporated healthy fats in my diet for health reasons (and to improve memory) and noticed the improvement in my own skin! Anyway, if I did see this research beforehand, I guess it hasn't improved my memory all that much, lol!

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I was worried. I started using more lotion, doing skin brushing (which I still do and think helps), taking fish oil. I think the best you can do is just moisturize and lose the weight, tone up and worry about it when you get there. Don't let it become a reason to quit. I would rather have loose skin than a thigh the size of my neighbor's waist.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #15  
Future Former Fat Girl

I was very concerned about loose skin, too. I have come to the point where the thought of being obese, out of shape, unfit, sick, diabetic and sad overtook the fear of saggies!

I do watch the shows on TLC or Discovery Health that show the super-morbidly obese people with yards and yards of extra skin getting the surgery. A lot of these folks had gastric bypass and lost a LOT of weight VERY VERY quickly.

Please don't let this worry get in the way of being a healthier person!
mllek is offline   Reply With Quote