Here we go again.. Again.

• I'm sure you girls may not remember me. I was only here for a month. I went off plan for a few days..and those days turned into a few months. So now I'm back up to my starting weight. 263lbs.

I'll be honest and say that my number one excuse for not trying is the lack of time and money. My oldest son (almost 3, Jordan) has autism, so my entire day consists of bringing him to therapy and scrambling to get anything done before I have to go to school at 5:30. We have to buy special food for Jordan (super expensive), which leaves my husband and me eating corn dogs and macoroni and cheese. Or fast food.

But at the same time, I realize this excuse is only that..an excuse. I know I have to make time to cook the things I need and to exercise. I'm just struggling. So here I am, coming to you ladies for inspiration and suggestions.

Just wanted to let you ladies know I'm trying again. I don't think I'll be letting anyone else in my life (other than my husband) know that I'm trying. Feels like too much pressure, maybe.

-Melissa
  • Welcome back Melissa :] I'm sorry to hear about Jordan's situation, my heart truly goes out to you and I know how much work goes into caring for an Autistic child. However, it doesn't mean you have to compromise your health in the meantime chickie! It's hard to hear but if you and your husband aren't around to take care of him, what will happen then?

Just the fact that you're back here and TRYING is an accomplishment in itself. I felt the same way you did, I ate crappy food just so it would be cheap and quick but in the long run it's not satisfying and it doesn't make your body feel too nice. Diet food can be really expensive, but my advice is to definitely cut coupons and buy your food based on what's on sale. Check store circulars too, where I work has a $10 off coupon if you spend $75 or more. Some grocery stores even DOUBLE manufacturer coupons, and it definitely adds up. I've seen a woman save over $40 by doing that What diet plans do you have in mind for yourself?

If you need advice, support, or just someone to talk to I'm here for ya :]
    -Stephy
  • First, you have to take care of yourself. I know it's hard but as my mother keeps reminding me, no one else is going to do the things you have to do.

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. Our 7 yr. old son is autistic and our 19 yr. old daughter has Asperger's. It is very hard to put yourself first when so much is going on around you but sometimes there is no choice.

Creeech had some good advice on stretching your food budget.

I shop once a week so I plan menus for a week at a time including snacks. Preplanning seems to be essential to keeping costs down and keeping on track for me. I count calories and no food is off limits for me though I realize some food is more filling than others. I keep snacks and water in the car for traveling and even keep a small snack in my purse for emergencies.

Exercise is something that I tend to do in spurts throughout the day. If I can only fit in 10 minutes then that is what I will do and just aim to do it several times during the day. If I can manage a longer time then I do that.

I think the biggest thing for me is to get away from the all or nothing mindset. Doing something is better than doing nothing, it just means the journey I'm on will be longer but it makes it no less worthwhile.

Hang in there. I know you can do this.
  • Glad you're back, Melissa!
  • Welcome welcome back! I DO remember you and I am SO GLAD that you have come back to continue your journey!
  • Boy, just when I think I have it difficult, along comes someone with real challenges. Just keep trying. As the old saying goes, all you have to do is suceed once. I've been doing the coupon thing and getting the online sale circulars in my email each week. Then I can plan my menu around what's on sale. I didn't know there was a special diet for autistic children. That's interesting, but as you said, expensive.
  • Thanks ladies. I know I need to take care of myself. And I really want to do this. I definitely suffer from the all or nothing mentality. If I can't work out 20 minutes a day and stay perfectly on plan, then I don't want to try. I guess because I constantly feel like a failure.

As far as a plan for eating and such, I'm going to give Weight Watchers another go. I've lost about 20lbs on it before, but of course gained it all back. It's much easier for me to count points than calories.

My doctor has told me how crucial it is to lose some weight. My triglycerides are high. I think a part of my problem too is being stuck in the feeling horrible about myself phase. I need to get over beating myself up for letting it get this bad and just work on it.
  • There is no such thing as perfection. No one is 100% perfect all the time, it's not possible. Give it up. What you want to strive for is to make the best choices you can as much of the time as you can. Commit, then do it. You have all the motivation in the world, your health, your family, but really, you don't need motivation, just commitment.

There are all sorts of better choices out there that are cost-effective. Tuna, apples, vegetables...coupons are great. Warehouse stores like Sam's and Costco are too. Get creative! I have done Atkins in the past, which can really be expensive if you don't watch it, on a very limited budget while living on unemployment. You just have to be careful and creative.

You can totally do this. You can!
  • Mel, you can do this! Don't worry about being perfect. I used to suffer from that all or nothing thinking too and it doesn't get you anywhere. You will never be perfect--nobody is, including yours truly. Just jump in and start something, whether it's eating right or exercising or drinking enough water. Baby steps! Over time you can add to it. And before you know it you will be feeling great and won't want to stop. There is no timeline, no deadline! Baby steps!
  • Welcome back Melissa!! YOu are taking the first step again and that is great!
  • Melissa, you do face some challenges, don't you? But it is not impossible. Read my motto in my signature. You don't have to be perfect, just persistent. If I were you I would make a food strategy first. How are you going to eat healthy and low cost and kick the corn dogs, macaroni and fast food? Maybe you could do a bulk cooking day on the weekend when your hubby is home to watch the kids. Chicken, tuna, beans, etc. Make a few things and freeze them. The exercise can wait until later, you need to come up with a food plan first.

We are all in this together. Stick around and take it one day at a time. You don't need to lose 50 or 100 pounds. You just need to lose one - the next one.
  • A crock pot might just be what you need. You just bung everything in the morning and it's ready when you get home. Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh. Baked potatoes make a healthy, quick supper, especially if you put your favourite salsa on them instead of sour cream or butter. Eggs are a good choice for any meal, and are really versatile and quick.

Good luck! You can do it.
  • Welcome (back)

I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids, my oldest is an unmedicated ADHD and ODD child... he is a challenge, I know you have challenges far greater than any he can give me, for that I applaud you because it sounds like you put your son first. I spent years and years putting my kids and hubby first... so much so that I have even taken their education into my hands and homeschool them. I also have realized tht I need to take care of me s that I can take care of them.

Money is a huge issue for my family.. for 6 people my hubby has brought home a whopping 16,000 this year. I have had to be creative with our food money, and I cut costs on everything I can to keep a roof over our heads. It is amazing how much further your food money can go when you learn to eat proper size portions, just doing that has made it more do-able to eat healthy on the cheap.

Anyway, good luck on your journey, and remember we are all here for you.

ps pardon any horrible typos, I'm typing with a grabby 5 month old on my lap.. I hope I caught all of them but if not well he is a great typer
  • Thanks again for the encouragement ladies. I'm making a shopping list for the grocery store right now, and I will get some healthy [and hopefully cheap] stuff for the week. I'll let you know how it goes!