Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #16  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matafleur View Post
34D is too big in the band and a teeny bit too big in the cup. 34C is just right in the band, too small in the cup. I'd try a 32D
I would try on some different styles of 34D and 34C. I know that I can now wear a 36F in some styles, but in others I cannot stuff the girls into that size cup no matter what. So if you haven't already, I would try a few other styles.

But--I do agree with you. It's very possible to be between sizes. I went through that when I left Plus sizes. Regular 18's looked like they were painted on, but 18W and 16W were too baggy. I just had to keep wearing the baggy stuff till I could finally fit comfortably in the regular sizes.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I think that my weight loss has been uneven and my dimensions are out of proportion for the short term. Does that sound possible?
Maybe, but I think the problem is that most clothes just aren't good enough. One of the good things from the show "What Not To Wear" is their advice that it's not that your body doesn't fit the clothes, it's that the clothes aren't cut good enough to fit your body.

Of course, that doesn't make it easier. But I really like the attitude/expectation that it's the clothes' job to work for you, not your body's job to work for the clothes.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #18  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I definitely understand the intimidation in regular stores. I went to Banana Republic with a slim friend and we were looking around separately and when the sales assistant approached me and was like "can I help you find anything specific," I'm probably being overly sensitive but I thought she was being sarcastic. I did buy a really nice cardigan there (in the largest size)... mostly to prove a point to her that I could (which in hindsight was kind of dumb as I didn't really need it).

As for the original topic:
I have to say that I'm a big fan of tailoring. I do NOT have an hour glass figure. I have big boobs and big tummy and no hips or thighs which means that I buy pants to fit my waist but because they imagine if you're chubby, you're hourglass (yeah right) but they're excessively baggy in the hip and thigh and so very unflattering. When I'm home, my mom or our next-door-neighbour takes it in for free and when I'm not, I get it done at the dry cleaners. It's definitely worth it. I do it for jackets too (they think it you have big boobs, you automatically have huge arms). I can't recommend tailoring enough. It's definitely worth the inconvenience. Especially if your shape is not the normal pattern used by clothing stores.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #19  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I buy 10s now and I *still* expect people to scoff and kick me out of the regular petites section. So sad.

I don't know where you live or what your body shape is, but I'm an hourglass, and when I first downsized from plus sizes the place that worked best for me was, believe it or not, Wal-Mart. Their George brand makes decent pants that hit at just the right spot on the waist (at least for me) and didn't sag in the butt like pants often do. Also they aren't super-expensive, which is a bonus when you're going through sizes like crazy.

Of course, I hem a lot of regular length pants these days, because I only buy on clearance/second hand while I'm losing, and there aren't many petites in the clearance sales or second hand shops. But you might try Wal-Mart. Old Navy has a few styles that worked pretty well during that transition period, too.

If neither of those suggestions work for you, you might try adapting to skirts for awhile. They are much more forgiving of our weird body changes.

Good luck! And welcome to the 'regular' section.

Last edited by thistoo; 10-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #20  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you for the sympathy and suggestions everyone. I have adapted to many other things during this journey so I will just adapt again. I am going home for the weekend later this month, so I really want at least one pair of pants that fit decently. I think that I am going to try some more stores this weekend and, if I have to, have one pair tailored to fit. I won't do that much right now because I plan on getting smaller.

Thistoo, I am really glad to hear about the pants at Walmart and will definitely go there. It should fit the budget!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I always have trouble with the length, being short. I know my inseam and always carry a tape measure with me and measure them before I try them on. I try to avoid having them altered if I can.I recently bought a jacket and had to have the sleeves shortened, cost me as much as to have them altered as the origional price of the jacket.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-06-2009 at 05:28 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote