I learned something new to me today.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I planned on eating at the Autumnfest today that our town puts on every year. Part of my new lifestyle is learning to eat no matter where I am, even if it means having to eat carny food.

There is absolutely nothing healthy at this place. I knew that before going. I planned to eat there anyway.

I walked around to see what all was available. I decided that I would have the cheese steak minus the cheese and the butterfly fries. Butterfly fries are potatoes thinly sliced into chips and deep fried. This was like the only "real" food to choose from. lol
    So my MIL and I split the steak sandwich and the chips. The sandwich had thinly slices of beef, green & red bell peppers and onions on it. The chips were just plain salted. It really didn't taste all that great.

So we ate our lunch and about an hour later I was like... Dang, I cant believe I'm already hungry again. There was a different vendor selling grilled corn in the husk that I missed before on my search of food. So I got corn and ate it. Boy it was much tastier and I know so much better for me.

So the thing I learned is, Just because I plan for it doesn't mean it's going to keep me full enough to last till my next meal. This is something I'm going to write down and keep so I wont forget.
  • It's always good to learn something about yourself. I have come to accept that there isn't always a choice for me certain places. It happens very, very rarely though. Ahead of time, I try to throw two things in my purse. One is small baggies of raw almonds (12-15 per bag) and the other is one piece of fruit. I am absolutely amazed how long almonds will hold me over for--and in such small quantities as well.

I am not saying I never eat things I shouldn't. I just don't want to be forced to.
  • Interesting, isn't it?

It's no wonder that as a Nation, we're fat. That food doesn't keep anybody full--and yet it has TONS of calories.

Bizarre world, this.
  • I hear ya!!! I went to a birthday party for a friend of my daughter tonight. They got TONS of pizza, and I sat there while the kids ate having a major mental battle with myself. I was praying the kids would polish off all the pizza so there would be none left for the adults. (I have no problem, in my mommy role, going hungry for the kids). But no such luck....several entire pizzas left over. I knew I couldn't resist. So I estimated the cals (quite accurately, I might add!)...and let myself have 2 slices of cheese pizza. The hardest part was STOPPING. There was soooo much more. And I wanted it. But I stopped, and got a water instead I wish I hadn't eaten any...but I'm still proud I stopped. Then I came home, went to the website for Domino's, and recorded every morsel of those 2 slices in my food log. I'm still within my calories...but now I'm HUNGRY!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR....I'm not full at ALL!!!! But it's my own fault. Tomorrow is another day!
  • I also learned something about MSG while watching TV last night, I'm not sure how much credibility it has but it makes sense to me.

I know it's a flavor enhancer but I didn't realize it tricked your brain into thinking you need more food. That's something to think about.
  • That's the problem with eating outside. Like hpnodat I have decided to try and eat wherever we go to eat, I have to live like this forever, and it's stupid to just sit there nursing a glass of water while everybody is eating. So I have a few tricks:

Eat something light but filling before I go. I won't feel tempted to "over-order" or stuff myself with bread because they take ages to bring the food.

Always order a green salad, dressing on the side. Share an entree with my companions if I still feel like I need to eat more.

Have one glass of white wine and go all night with it.

Carry some back up food in my purse (some nuts, or some slices of apple). You never know if there will actually be something worth eating.

Remember I am there for the company, if the food is not healthy it is not good for me.
  • Quote: Like hpnodat I have decided to try and eat wherever we go to eat, I have to live like this forever, and it's stupid to just sit there nursing a glass of water while everybody is eating.
    I don't think I have ever, ever been more miserable in my life doing that kind of thing.

It will literally make me crazy.

I remember one time in particular I was dieting a couple of years ago. We went to Bonefish grill to eat dinner with the family and the family ordered bang bang shrimp. Well, needless to say bang bang shrimp was not on my diet. I was so miserable sitting there watching them eat this shrimp, shrimp is one of my favorite foods of all time anyway and I reaaally love bang bang shrimp. I had to leave the table because I could not control my emotions. I went to the bathroom and cried my eyes out. How crazy is it to allow food to have such control over me.

For the first time in MY life, Food NO LONGER has power over me. I don't allow it to have such power any more. Now,Today if I go to Bonefish, I eat the damn bang bang shrimp. But I eat it in moderation and I plan, plan, plan, plan...... For it.
  • Another thing I remind myself:

If I were to maintain my current weight I should eat 2170 calories and I wouldn't even have to exercise. I consume 1200 calories per day plus whatever calories I burnt at the gym (some days I go up to 1800 cals because I busted my tuckus at the gym)

If I were to splurge on a meal (within reason) I could work out that day and eat about 2700 cals that day! Do you know how much food is that? And I wouldn't have gained a single oz. The only drawback is I didn't lose the 0.28 lb. I had planned to lose that day, which isn't that much in the great scheme of things. If I were to do this once a month it would hardly impact my weight loss.

So, the trick is to tackle it with a plan and make sure next day I go back to my routine. No blood lost.
  • Someone posted "How crazy is it to allow food to have such control over me"...

Aside from nourishment, we make food an important part of our lives. With food, we celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and first dates; it soothes and brings us together at wakes/funerals; we bestow so much importance upon it that we wrap it up in cute little packages with pretty little bows and give it as gifts...the list goes on. I believe that's why it becomes so MUCH a part of us emotionally and, as we are creatures ruled largely by emotion...well, there's the rub.

I'm sure just about all of use have witnessed the reaction of family members when, say, at a holiday gathering, we refuse Aunt So-and-So's World Famous Most Excellent If You Don't Eat It She'll Think You Don't Love Her Anymore Five Layer Death By Chocolate Cake.

We've all, at one time or another, been guilted into eating SOMETHING we shouldn't for various reasons.

aaaaaaaaaand I'm rambling...

• Sherry, I am working hard to NOT make food the center of my own life--whether it be celebrations or what not. I think you are right--for many of us here it has always been all about the food. I try to remind myself that it really IS about the people, the company, being in the moment--not about the horrific smorgousboard (sp?) set out as a buffet in front of me.

Also, when I host gatherings or attend gatherings I provide healthy, satiating whole foods. Afterall, there are some beautiful and delectable choices--the sky is totally the limit! That way, there is always something for me and my family to eat.

I am not saying that I won't indulge or don't indulge time to time. I just cannot do it for all the holidays, get togethers and birthdays that we attend or host. That would be devastating to me.
  • I've observed that some cultures do revolve around food and most of the populace are not fat, like Italy or France. We have something about us that can't eat small portions of wonderful food and enjoy it. I'm just saying that for me, I have to accept that whatever it is that makes me different, it's a life sentence and requires constant vigilance or I'll gain back any weight lost. I've done it a number of times. And frankly, I hate it and in my worst moments , I think, why me! But better being fat than having Myesthenia Gravis, like my best friend.

I know there are ongoing studies trying to find out why some people don't naturally stop eating and lose all interest in food once they reach the number of calories needed to maintain a normal weight. Once, I was put on a medication temporarily that did exactly that. I would eat to a point and then the urge to continue vanished, and I thought this must be what it's like to be like everyone else.

If you look in any family you see thin and fat people who have been exposed to the same eating patterns. My mother is thin, my aunt is fat. My sister and brother are thin, I'm fat. My maternal grandmother was thin, my paternal grandmother was fat.

I'm saying that we should not berate ourselves because our natural eating mechanism is broken. It's a challenge but with dedication and persistence we can control it.
  • Quote: Sherry, I am working hard to NOT make food the center of my own life--whether it be celebrations or what not.. I think you are right--for many of us here it has always been all about the food. I try to remind myself that it really IS about the people, the company, being in the moment--not about the horrific smorgousboard (sp?) set out as a buffet in front of me.
    As am I, TBG...and sometimes it's very hard. All we can do is persevere.

As for it being all about the food, I couldn't agree more. We live in a culture of abundance and, therefore (IMO), excess. If it is within our means and we want it, we get it. With regards to food, it's not a problem for some, but for the rest of us, it's a problem...and a big one at that!

Sherry

Sherry
  • Quote: I've observed that some cultures do revolve around food and most of the populace are not fat, like Italy or France. We have something about us that can't eat small portions of wonderful food and enjoy it. I'm just saying that for me, I have to accept that whatever it is that makes me different, it's a life sentence and requires constant vigilance or I'll gain back any weight lost. I've done it a number of times. And frankly, I hate it and in my worst moments , I think, why me! But better being fat than having Myesthenia Gravis, like my best friend.

I know there are ongoing studies trying to find out why some people don't naturally stop eating and lose all interest in food once they reach the number of calories needed to maintain a normal weight. Once, I was put on a medication temporarily that did exactly that. I would eat to a point and then the urge to continue vanished, and I thought this must be what it's like to be like everyone else.

If you look in any family you see thin and fat people who have been exposed to the same eating patterns. My mother is thin, my aunt is fat. My sister and brother are thin, I'm fat. My maternal grandmother was thin, my paternal grandmother was fat.

I'm saying that we should not berate ourselves because our natural eating mechanism is broken. It's a challenge but with dedication and persistence we can control it.
    Suezeeque, I've read your post about a half-a-dozen times...

If we could find a definitive answer to the first (highlighted) statement, regardless of whether the problem is cultural or personal, perhaps we could resolve the second.

Now here's something else to make your gray matter twitch...

Why, in a culture that places SO much importance to beauty and perfection, are we, as a people, one of the most obese countries as a whole?

Sorry to the OP about the highjack...it was not intentional.

Sherry
  • I am loving every one of these posts!

The best part of the journey is finding out these things about ourselves. What works and doesn't work. Insights about why and how we eat. I love this part of the journey and I'm embracing it with a fervor! I had an epiphany (or duh moment--however you choose to look at it ). I have to embrace this and learn because if I don't I'll end up right back where I was.

I'm trying to break the hold food has over me too. I'm so blessed to have a husband who is my partner in this. 99% of the time when we're out we split an entree. Depending on our mood, hunger level, etc we might each get a soup or salad to share or we might get our own. At the same time I'm trying to break the hold food has on me I'm also slowing down and enjoying what I do have. Putting my fork down between bites. Savoring that bite. NO more unconscious eating. No more just shoveling it in until it's gone but eating until I'm full (which may or may not be the entire portion).

I am also a big one for planning. DH and I will discuss in the car what we're going to get and may not even look at the menu if it's one that's familiar. I too carry high protein snacks, fruit and water with me just in case. Being prepared is key for me!

Practicing self control, portion control and good eating habits begets more good habits! Good for all of us for learning as we go along!!!
  • I love these kinds of highjacks. LOL