Question! Is there any benefit...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is there any benefit in drinking oat milk over regular milk in regards to health or weight loss?
  • In weight loss, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. But as to your health, I would say it is worth it to explore it.
  • If you're drinking cow's milk, I would stick with reputable companies that produce organic hormone free milk. Otherwise, soy, rice, almond, etc, are good options. I don't know much about oat milk.
  • Well I have heard some weird things about soy milk, but being lactose intolerant I enjoy it quite a bit!
  • Well oat milk is cheap if you make it yourself so that is a benefit
  • I have never had oat. I drink almond-1/2 the calories of skim.
  • I don't drink much cows milk, and think oat milk sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it.

I used to be a big cow milk drinker until I visited a local dairy farm...ugh. One thing I'll NEVER forget was when the skinny old dairy farmer said, "you know, milk is designed for calves, so they can grow and put on weight quickly, as fast as I sell it, it's no wonder so many people are fat". HA, I never really thought of it that way.
  • I never heard of oat milk... hmmm have to go visit google.

For me, I need real milk, but I consume less than a cup of skim a day 99% of the time.

Lori.. I never really thought of it that way either....eek!
  • I just got vanilla soy milk and original almond milk today. they are both very good, dunno about oat?

I LOVE the almond milk. it's so good!
  • I've never heard of it before (google is my friend!) I am not a big milk drinker at all but I do eat yogurt.
  • I was going to buy this the other day but decided to go with my usual almond instead - definitely interested in trying it!
  • I love cow's milk.
  • I am now very interested in oat milk...Not a huge fan of cow's milk, or it's calories. I love soy milk, (and here is some TMI) But I drank half a gallon of it this last week...and my breats are a lot larger than normal. I guess what they say about the estogen in soy does affect me.
  • They sell oat milk right next to the soy milk here in Sweden, and I got some the other day, and while it doesn't have the same flavor as regular milk, it's not bad at all. It's particularly good on cereal I find. It's got the same consistency as probably 2% milk has, I think. Maybe a little more toward the skim side.

I never see almond milk for sale here, I would definitely get that if I saw it. Both me and DH love almond milk.

I was asking here, just cuz I have no idea if it's worth making a switch to oat milk over regular milk, since oat milk is a bit more expensive. But Lori Bell's story there, made me think that there must be a lot less calories in something like oat milk, than in something designed by nature to fatten up baby cows! Hehehe

I'll have to check the calorie count and see, I guess. Thanks for responding everybody!
  • Quote: I am now very interested in oat milk...Not a huge fan of cow's milk, or it's calories. I love soy milk, (and here is some TMI) But I drank half a gallon of it this last week...and my breats are a lot larger than normal. I guess what they say about the estogen in soy does affect me.
    LOL---maybe I will try that.