3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I bought a bike! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/182617-i-bought-bike.html)

paris81 09-25-2009 08:28 AM

I bought a bike!

I've been thinking about getting a bike for a few months now, but I wanted to wait until the summer was almost over so that the prices would go down. Last night, I went to a police auction and got one for $25! It was so exciting and scary. The auctionner was talking really fast, and I couldn't understand anything. I was afraid that I would wind up accidently bidding too much money, and so I almost didn't bid on anything.

But then I got over it, and I did it! It felt great--I was so anxious, I could feel it in my body, must have burned a ton of calories just from the adrenaline of making the purchase.

Now I just need to get a lock and a helmet, and get it tuned up, and I'll be ready to go! Hopefully the weather will stay nice for a bit longer.

Judy Lynn 09-25-2009 08:31 AM

Cool! Great price too.

jefferzzzz 09-25-2009 08:32 AM

That's awesome! I wish we had those kinda auctions here... And enjoy your bike!

paris81 09-25-2009 10:54 AM

Thanks! I'm a little scared, actually. I haven't ridden an real, non-stationary bike in over 6 years---but from what I hear, it's just like riding a bike (lol--I couldn't resist).

Bonnie+J 09-25-2009 11:11 AM

woohoo!!! go girl! you'll do great on it. well done for taking the step!

Alana in Canada 09-25-2009 02:38 PM

Good for you! :cp:

wendyland 09-25-2009 03:27 PM

It's been very liberating getting a bike. I just got one this summer. I push myself so much harder on the bike without feeling like I'm pushing. I think it's because the wind makes me feel cooler than when I'm walking.

Idealmuse 09-25-2009 11:27 PM

Congrats paris81

I always got a kick out of the peoples faces when this 250+lb woman came zooming past them on my bike. Riding is great exercise!

jamsk8r 09-25-2009 11:46 PM

Congratulations! I got a new bike last year, but just started really riding it this year. I am loving it, so far!

cfmama 09-26-2009 03:19 AM

That's an AWESOME price and GREAT exercise! Good going!

sdrenken 09-27-2009 12:49 AM

I want to get one of the laying down bikes that the bikeathoners ( not sure if thats even a word!) but they're a bit expensive, maybe I'll kick diet coke and use the money to save up for a new bike! congrats on yours!

Lizzyg 09-27-2009 09:32 AM

Thats great!! :) I love my bike!

findingfawn 09-27-2009 09:40 AM

How cool! I chicken out at auctions... I have even given up going because I just waste my time there getting all worked up and scared.

Have fun riding!

paris81 09-27-2009 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the encouragment! I'm glad so many of you are happy with your bikes, it makes it less frightening for me. I do think that it will make me take my car less places, which is good for me, for the environment, for my wallet, etc, etc.

The tune ups seems really expensive--like $50! Twice as much as the bike! But I guess it's worth it, to make it safe to ride. It seems like the thing to do in my town, everyone has a bike, there are bike shops everywhere, so I'll fit right in. The other day, I felt comforted because I saw a girl who was around my size riding a bike...apparently it's okay!

Lizzyg 09-27-2009 02:13 PM

Of course its ok for you to be riding a bike!! :) I love riding my bike, and most of the time, I dont even feel like I'm exercising, because I just like to do it.

I do think its good that you are getting it tuned up.

Hope you enjoy it!