What has your new-found energy added to your day?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • As I was standing at the sink washing dishes, I got to thinking--wonder what it would be like to have enough energy to do everything I wanted or needed to do in one day, without having to DRAG myself through the task, or sit down between each activity, or just say, "Forget it" when I think about adding anything extra to the day.

Obviously, the fatter I get, the less I can accomplish in a day.

You guys are so inspiring here--what things have you been able to do now that you've gained new energy? It doesn't even have to be anything major, just things that are easier, or that you haven't been able to do in awhile due to weight.
  • I think the biggest thing for me is yard work. Not that I *couldn't* do it before (though certainly it is much easier now) but I used to be so self-conscious that I didn't want to be outside where my neighbors could see me in the daylight. Isn't that sad? Now I feel good enough about myself that I don't care who sees me sweaty and dirt-covered while I battle the weeds and poison ivy in my giant yard. Still don't love yard work, but at least I don't have panic attacks thinking about doing it anymore.

There is a whole other tangent about a guy at work I'm interested in and the fact that I am finally confident enough to do something about it, but if I start to tell that story I'll be here all day.
  • I know what you mean about not wanting people to see you. I'm that way too. If I'm outside when somebody stops by, I usually run inside to "hide". I hate that.

I don't like anybody to see me walking either, then I get mad at myself for caring what they think.
  • I think most things I do are easier now - my washer and dryer are downstairs and I don't dread carrying the clothes up and down anymore - plus if I have heavy groceries, I tell myself "You used to carry that much weight with you ALL the time" it's very uplifting.
  • I started taking my 2 small dogs to the dog park last december. I could hardly finish a walk there, bend down to pick them up and so on. Now I am actually running and spending on average 1- 2 hours just rambling around with them. The dogs have also lost weight. I will probably never "run" as I have metal rods in a leg due to a break and they hurt when I try to run, but I can "lope."
  • I can clean my WHOLE house, go for a huge grocery shopping trip AND still do a 5 K walk after. And not be dying when I get home.
  • Be and stay alert. I am restless when watching tv.
    I just pop up off the couch to get up. No bracing myself and the pushing up. Just pop up and down. Multiple times. No big deal.
    I can stuff my quilt in its duvet cover in one go, no need to rest my arms. I sleep better because my body has been worked through-out the day. (Instead of just being in a seated position then adjusting to a lay down position to signify bedtime.
    Many of these changes were felt early on. My body seemed to be so happy it was finally moving.
    I still have a ways to go and am looking forward to even more energy.
    Good luck.
  • Trufle, I know exactly what it is you're speaking about. I felt the same exact way. I used to sit and wonder how I would ever get things done.

Quote:
    I am restless when watching tv.
    Oh yes. TV is difficult to watch. I barely put the TV on now. I can't sit still that long. I used to lay on the couch for hours at a time (except to get up to get food every now and then) back in the day.

The added energy and stamina is MIND-BOGGLING to me. I don't know how in the world I lived without it for so long. I get sooo much accomplished in a day, it's, it's, it's - it's just AMAZING. My family actually comments on it all the time. That alone is worth everything. That wonderful sense of accomplishment and just being able to get things done.

My evenings used to be worthless. Just worthless. I was good for nothing. Whatever little energy I had was used up much earlier on in the day. Now. I actually can and do things in the evenings. This was big for me. My day is much longer now.

When I was heavy everything was a monumental task. Now I do things with ease. Everyday things. The dishes, the laundry, the housekeeping, the cooking. Zip. Zip. Zip. Shopping. I used to take my kids to the mall. I couldn't last more then an hour or so. And then that was it for the day. Now I can shop for hours and hours on end. Come home and STILL get stuff done. Lots of stuff.

Errands. Going to the bank. Food shopping. The actual shopping and carrying all the groceries into the house. Going to the dentist. PAcking up the car for a road trip. etc... Everything was just so - hard. I now do it all without giving it a second thought. It's all a breeze.
  • Wow, Robin. You certainly have a way of making me look forward to the most ordinary of things!

Although I've only lost about 30 lbs so far, I've already noticed a significant decrease in pain. I now longer limp from sporadic foot pain. My knees bother me much, much less and my back isn't as fragile as it once was. Thank goodness. It was because we could suddenly no longer afford the chiropractor that spurred me into this!
  • I've already noticed huge differences.

I live at the top of a cul de sac with a beautiful garden at the bottom. I never went down to the garden because it was too hard to walk back up the hill.

My feet hurt. I couldn't stand up from the couch with bracing myself. I got tired doing just a little bit of housework. I hated picking up toys because it was such an effort to bend over.

Now, I can also work out and still do other stuff.

I'm thinking about what Robin said, as I am not at the zip zip stage yet.

I still have a tendency to sit, and to avoid tasks that are more active, like housecleaning. But now, when I start, I think-- hey, this is no sweat.

I'm sure it will only get better from here.
  • Truffle,

After losing 65 pounds, I can get so more work done! I am not close to what I want to be yet but life is much improved. Won't it be wonderful to ".....do things with ease. ... Zip. Zip. Zip. "!!! Robin always gives us something to look forward to.

Hang in there!
  • I live in a two-story house and hauling myself up and down the stairs, hanging onto the bannister, and groaning all the while, was getting so bad I was thinking I was going to have to start sleeping downstairs or move. but with JUST 9lbs lost it's so much easier. I can't believe the difference.

Even though I have a long way to go I find that I am not as content to park myself in front of the TV all day and night. I've started to think about going out, maybe taking a drive. Don't laugh. I was a total hermit! except for the days I swim. And when I have to go food shopping (only on swim day) I don't sit in the car for 10 minutes getting ready for the ordeal; and yesterday for the first time in a long time I actually walked into the store instead of getting a basket in the parking lot to lean on.

Small glimpses into a future where I can be nomal again.
  • Suezeeque,

That is so wonderful. You can do this! You will be "normal" again. Please remember that you don't have to be a size 8 to be "normal", we have a nation of obese people and there are many people who are having the same struggle that we have. You are a beautiful worthwhile person.
  • Quote: I don't like anybody to see me walking either, then I get mad at myself for caring what they think.
    Indeed, I used to feel too self-conscious to go out and walk as well. It's a miserable catch 22 to be in, and I hope you find a way to overcome it.

I just got home from a several-hour shopping trip with my sister, hitting the sales at the department stores. In the past I would have been miserable after the first store, my legs would have ached and I would have wanted to cry watching my sister pick out tiny, 'normal person' clothes while I was relegated to the plus section.

Today I can buy smaller clothes than she can. That's bananas! I walked away from the CUTEST jacket today (size petite medium) because it was so expensive, even on sale, but man, did it ever look cute on me, so I'm thinking it might be worth the money. I *did* buy boots with heels and three pairs of tights for winter, because I can wear skirts now without chafing and I fully intend to wear them all winter long.

The best part, though, is that she wanted to go home before I did, and I was neither exhausted nor in pain when we called it a day, in spite of the fact that I actually dressed up and wore shoes with a heel instead of my usual weekend uniform of jeans and a t-shirt. Turns out salespeople don't ignore you when you dress like you care about your appearance. Go figure.

So much has changed for me, and I thank you for the reminder of just how far I've come. I truly hope you find the 'aha' moment that gets you on your way. It's worth the struggle. I've been at it three years and I still have more to lose, but it's really been worth every moment.
  • The replies here are fabulous! I can't wait to experience some of the same things! (It's been TOO long since I've been able to "zip, zip, zip"!)

Most of the time right now I'll do a task, then sit and read at the computer for awhile, do another task, read at the computer...all day long. I'm usually useless at night because the daytime things have sucked up all my energy.

Some of the things are really ridiculous too, like going in to watch a tv program with dh, but not enjoying it because none of the seating in the living room is comfortable. I won't even attempt sitting on the couch because it's so hard to haul myself up off it. Can't wait to be able to "pop" up and down from it again sometime.

You'd think with so much "padding" that sitting wouldn't be uncomfortable, but I can't sit on a hard chair for very long without hurting, and if you saw me rise, you'd think I was a 90 year old woman because I'm so stiff.

Keep sharing because hearing this stuff is very inspirational!