Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #16  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Canned tuna is cheap and good for lunch either on a salad or in a sandwich, just use mustard instead of mayo.
I don't think I could eat tuna ever again. I made a healthy version of tuna salad and I felt so sick afterwards. But my boyfriend LOVED it.

Do you put things in beans when you make them? I don't think I liked beans except beans IN something (like chili) or refried.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I don't think I could eat tuna ever again. I made a healthy version of tuna salad and I felt so sick afterwards. But my boyfriend LOVED it.

Do you put things in beans when you make them? I don't think I liked beans except beans IN something (like chili) or refried.
You can stick whatever you want in them! If you like chili beans then you can cook them with some onion, garlic, chili powder, crushed tomatoes, cumin, and oregano.

What about canned chicken?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #18  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
What about canned chicken?
Yeah, chicken works for me.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Beans are so versatile!

Lentils (a legume but not really a bean) can make excellent indian style dishes with some curry powder, tomato sauce, garlic and onions. I've also seen a dish for a sloppy joe recipe using lentils.

Bean salads - Add some beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and a dash of olive oil. You can add various seasonings to give it a bit different flavor but so so easy. Some of the harder lentils like french green lentils also work well for bean salads.

Roasted chickpeas - These are great to snack on and various spices make them absolutely yum. If you roast them long enough, they become very crunchy and are a good substitute to croutons on a salad.

In green salads - Black beans, kidney beans and chickpeas are a regular addition to regular green salads I make. Black beans also make a wonderful addition to a 'taco' salad. Basically top a salad with black beans and salsa.

Bean burgers - There are various recipes online about making beans into a burger type patty. Makes for an extremely good sandwich.

Faux tuna salad - Mashed chickpeas makes a wonderful faux tuna salad by adding mustard, dill relish, diced cucumber, etc. You can also add some sea veggies to give it a fishy type taste without the mercury

Cannelini beans in soup - You can make a 'cream' soup by using mashed cannelini beans. It makes it creamy without changing flavor. I've seen various recipes including an italian wedding soup that utilizes the beans.

Hummus - Great as part of a sandwich/wrap or for just dipping veggies.

Various bean dishes - Last night I made a collards and black eyed pea dish that was really good. Added a bit of liquid smoke to give it a smokey flavor. Soo good.

I love beans.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

Here's an idea I've stolen from a couple people around here. Bowl of cooked frozen mixed veggies (drain them if they're too watery), mix in a can/pouch of tuna/chicken/salmon, then add some curry sauce (available in many flavors, in jars at most groceries). Very tasty, filling, and inexpensive.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #21  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
= It IS better to be fit and fat than thin and squishy.
Ok, off topic here but Alana, I loved this sentence!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #22  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It may sound a bit odd, but one of my favorite cheap meals in college was spaghetti sauce beans over a baked potato. I'd drain canned green beans (I liked the thin-cut french style cut) and simmer in an inexpensive spaghetti sauce (or homemade) and then serve over a microwave-baked potato. Fast, healthy, and cheap.

Another fast and cheap lunch option is taking cooked beans (canned or from dried) and puree/mash them in a food processor or with a fork or potato masher with seasonings and/or condiments, and then use them as a dip for vegetables or baked tortila chips or as a sandwhich filling (either on a tortilla to make a burrito, or on bread or toast).

One is so good, I've taken it to potlucks. I take a can of barbecue flavored beans (or pork and beans and a bit of bottled barbecue sauce) and a small piece of onion and whir it in the food processor until smooth. It's really good hot or cold. Hot, it's like a burrito filling, and really good on toasted whole wheat bread. I've been asked for the recipe so many times, and it's always a shocker, when I tell them it only has 2 or 3 ingredients (and Aldi or a store-brand baked beans, are only about 49 cents).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote