Eat this, Not that!

• I've been thinking about getting that book but ya know, I think I might be happier saving my money and starting an Eat this, Not that thread.

Posting Pics are nice but not necessary.

Here's the eat this not that thing I had for breakfast and lemme tell you it was so fantastic I might not ever want to eat the fast food version ever again! I gobbled mine down before I thought about taking pics of it.

Cajun Fillet Sandwich

4 oz skinless chicken breast weighed before cooking (110 cal)
    1/2 Cobblestone Mill Sub Roll (110 cal)
    lettuce leaves (15 cal)
    15 g (1 tbsp) Hellmans low fat mayo (15 cal)
    ground cayenne pepper or ground red pepper
    garlic salt
    black pepper

I butterflied my chicken and pounded it til it was about 1/4 inch thick mainly because it cooks faster producing a juicier piece of chicken. But you don't have to do that if you don't want to.
    Sprinkle the raw chicken with the spices to taste, more red pepper for spicier chicken and less for less spicier.
    Spray nonstick pan with pam and fry chicken on both sides until done.
    While your chicken is cooking, slice the 1/2 sub roll in half and toast till desired crispness.
    Smear mayo on both halves of the roll and place the cooked chicken and the lettuce leaves on the bun and Enjoy!

Total Calories: 250 and 5 grams fat

Bojangles Cajun Fillet w/mayo = 437 calories, 22 grams fat

You could use any kind of roll you like but that is just what I had on hand.
  • Oh...that sounds so yummy!! That'd make a great anytime meal!! Have to definitly try that!! Its made me hungry!!
  • Oh and it only took about 10-15 minutes to make. Cant beat fast food made at home!
  • Thanks! Sounds delish, easy and healthy!
  • Now I'm hungry :| Hehe. Thanks for sharing
  • So, the idea is to post a recipe that is a healthy version of a fast food item?

I've got some "Chicken Nuggets" (sort, of!) This recipe is from Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner.

I just cut the chicken breasts into smaller "bite" sized pieces.

1 1/4 cups Italian Bread Crumbs (I use Italian croutons I buy in the store and crush them between waxed paper with a rolling pin.)
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and cheese. In another bowl, lace the mustard.

Dip the chicken first into the mustard, then the bread crumbs and cheese, then place on a baking sheet, lightly sprayed with oil (Use a pump sprayer and avoid the aerosol types if possible). Bake 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.

Info: (the recipe makes 6 servings) per serving: 267 calories. 5g Fat, 34g Protein, 19g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary fibre; 74 mg Cholesterol; 114mg sodium.

Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Meat; 1/2 fat.

For "fries," I cut a potato into eighths, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle salt, over them and put them in the oven with them. (Though they really should be in a hotter oven, say 400 or 450) to crisp properly)
  • Sounds good Alana!

I guess it could be any healthy version for any food, not just fast food. It's your choice.
  • If I remember rightly, if you go into the diet sections.. all of them!!! and look around in the stickies, there are loads of recipes in there. I am pretty sure I found some kicking ones last year before I got preggers with my littlest guy.

Anyway.. hotwings are a favorite food of mine, but of course are now out of the question so here is how I cope....

4oz skinless boneless breast for each person, if it's grill weather out I will have hubby grill these till they get a bit crispy on the outside, otherwise I will "fry" them in some canola spray, or like tonight I will dip them in some egg white and some flour (perferably wheat of course) then bake them. Oh.. if I "fry" or bake them I cut them into "nuggets" first.

When they are done I dip them in some hot sauce mixed with a stick (or less if only one serving of course we are a family of 6, only 3 of us eat them hot) and some garlic powder. I use Wishbone fat free blue cheese to dip them in. Comes in at right around 200 calories for a serving.

I serve these with homemade sweet potatoe fries which I bake after spraying them with my canola spray. The fries are pretty yummy if they "accidently" get into the hot sauce
  • I just reserved this book at the library, so if you want to read it you could try there. I went for the first time in about 10 years and between me and my hubby we picked up three weight loss books (including the 3 fat chicks on a diet book).
  • Oh, that's very cool!
    I didn't realize that the library would carry it. I haven't been in so long I forget about that place. And I didn't know 3fc has a book too! Double your pleasure, double your fun!
  • Boneless Hot Wings
    Boneless Hot Wings
    8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into chunks)
    1 tbsp eggbeaters
    1/2 cup fiber one cereal (pulverized in food processor)
    texas pete
    red pepper
    garlic salt
    pepper

Toss raw chicken chunks in eggbeaters and about a tbsp of texas pete.
    Pulverize cereal into crumbs and add red pepper, garlic salt, and pepper to taste, depending on how spicy you want it.
    Put chicken and crumbs in a ziploc bag and toss till the chicken is coated.

Spray cookie sheet with pam, spread chicken apart on cookie sheet so the chicken isn't touching. Bake at 400 degrees until chicken is done.
    When the chicken is done sprinkle with more texas pete and toss or just eat plain.

Total calories for whole recipe = 288, 3 g fat
    Makes 2 servings

KFC Fiery Hot Wings (6 wings) = 500 calories, 27 g fat