Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin- Time Magazine Article

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...4857-1,00.html

I really don't know what to think about this article. But I must say that exercising isn't the reason why I'm fat, that's for sure. I don't think I have ever in my life wanted to run to the nearest fast food joint or run to the convenience store for something sugar laden after a great workout. Yep, exercise makes me pretty hungry but I always prefer to eat something that is not so heavy afterward. And DUH! It makes sense why you're hungry afterward, its because you just got done burning a million calories.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #2  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I was really depressed when I read this article but they do have a couple of points. Unfortunately you don't burn a million calories. I saw an example of that kind of thinking in one of my coworkers yesterday. He justified eating a (very large) cookie by saying "I worked out this morning". So you still have to be vigilant about intake.

BUT they discussed this on the exercise forum the other day and someone linked an article in Prevention Magazine "Why Time Magazine Got it Wrong", listing all the benfits of exercise.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I think it's totally normal to be hungry after a workout... the key is having self control and good judgement and eating the right things.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

There's a couple threads on this already..one is here if you want to check it out

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-you-thin.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #5  

I think this article is ridiculous. There are so many health benefits to exercise. And someone trying to lose weight should exercise AND eat healthy. Obviously no one is going to get skinny by eating whatever they want just because they worked out.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #6  

I once read that if you are craving sweets after working out, you should drink a glass of chocolate milk. There was some actual science behind it...
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote