3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I am a salsa addict... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/181348-i-am-salsa-addict.html)

momof5k 09-08-2009 10:12 PM

I am a salsa addict...

and with all the fresh tomatoes coming in from my backyard I am craving tortilla chips and homemade salsa SO BAD!!

Is there such a thing as a non-fried tortilla chip???

I have looked and looked and cannot find any. There are baked pretzels, tons of baked potato chips, baked crackers...everything but what I want.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? In Canada?

TIA :)

bacilli 09-08-2009 10:14 PM

I've never seen baked tortilla chips, but it's easy enough to bake your own with corn tortillas, a squeeze of lime, and a bit of sea salt.

Onederchic 09-08-2009 10:17 PM

I use to be addicted to tortilla chips with melted velveeta cheese and rotel tomatoes :o :|

But I will take some of your homemade salsa :D

cfmama 09-08-2009 10:19 PM

Lay's makes baked tortilla chips ;) Just sayin!

chickybird 09-08-2009 10:26 PM

I loooove to eat salsa with celery sticks. maybe I'm just weird, lol!

Bunnababy 09-08-2009 10:44 PM

Salsa is very good with veggies. Making your own chips is easier than trying to find baked ones, which you have to watch because some of those chips have sugar in them. My dh and I bought the Tostitos scoops and our reasoing is that you fill one chip up with salsa and you will eat less chips. So far so good on that one. :carrot:

Trazey34 09-08-2009 10:44 PM

My garden exploded with tomatoes and I've been salsa-ing it up like crazy too!!! I take a w.wheat tortilla and cut it into triangle shapes and pop it in the oven til it gets crunchy, bob's yer uncle.

momof5k 09-08-2009 10:49 PM

So how is it that it never occured to me to make my own? :dunno:

I may give that a shot.

I did find those Baked Tostitoes Scoops online but can't seem to figure out if they are available in Canada? I was sure I had seen baked tortilla chips and then thought I must be losing my mind when I couldh't find them but we were on vacation in the States a few weeks ago so that may have been it.

Had I known, I would have stocked up!! ;)

Any Canadians out there know if we have them??

Thighs Be Gone 09-08-2009 11:01 PM

Yep--use the 50 calorie tortillas from La Tortilla factory.

I also like "Soy Crisps" that are 7 calories each.

kellost 09-08-2009 11:07 PM

I make homemade salsa pretty often, and my husband has started using "carrot chips" to dip in it. These are found in our grocery store near the regular carrots and bagged baby carrots, only they are pre-cut into a chip shape. It's admittedly not as tasty as real chips, but it works!

StellarGirl 09-08-2009 11:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of delicious salsa mixed in with some canned chicken. I know it sounds weird...but it's SO filling...EXTREMELY lo-cal...and you get all the yummy salsa! It's kind of like a chicken salad that way. Super yummies...in fact...I might go make some right now! lol.

hpnodat 09-08-2009 11:34 PM

my husband likes salsa on his scrambled eggs

cfmama 09-09-2009 12:20 AM

I've found then here (In BC) in Superstore :)

ringmaster 09-09-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 2916335)
Yep--use the 50 calorie tortillas from La Tortilla factory.

I also like "Soy Crisps" that are 7 calories each.

I will have to look for these. What a good idea using them to make your own healthy-ier chips, it's something I really crave often.

I also use salsa in rice.

salsa chip 09-09-2009 12:39 AM

LOL I thought this thread was about me for a moment there :O