Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
My number one fave right now is Arctic Zero Ice Cream. You can eat the entire pint--and thats one helluvalot--for about 125 calories.

I also like the Jello Gelatin sugar free--I think they are five calories each. I put about 4 of them in a bowl with finely diced celery, a few almonds and some Cool Whip Light.
wow, just looked up artic zero, and that looks amazing. haven't ever seen it around here though
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #17  

I totally get fruit not being dessert. Don't get me wrong, I love and eat tons of fruit, but an apple isn't going to cut it come dessert time.

I just can't go the sugar free/fat free route.

I suggest either smaller portions of what your already having or trying to lighten up some of your recipies. (I second the no pudge boxed mixes)
I found that when I started analyzing some old favorites there were just silly amounts of sugar and fat for no reason. No-one needs 3cups sugar in a cake! .

In the 90's I did a lot of the sugar free/fat free and I found (for me) it led to mindless eating and zero satisfaction, not to mention headaches from the artificial stuff and the eventual eating of the real thing (way too much of the real thing)

And as for subbing in fruit desserts, I'm not sure an apple pie is *much* healthier then a brownie. (Esp if you like it ala mode)
I think its better to just work in what you like the best you can. (Esp if you don't do well with restrictions or rules .
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #18  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I have a WW cookbook devoted to desserts from which I bake regularly. I work my desserts into my daily plan because I enjoy them and I can "afford" them within the parameters of my plan. I'm pretty lucky because I don't have a terrible time with sugar or refined foods. Others who don't share my good fortune often choose to eliminate these foods from their diets and move to fruits for their "sweet" fix.

If you can make desserts work within your plan, then IMHO it may be a really productive way to go because IF this is something that you enjoy, outright eliminating these treats may not be sustainable in the long run.

To each his/her own path...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 310/234.5/130

Height: 5'6"

I looked at a book, Hungry Girl 200 recipes under 200 calories...Lots of low fat, low calorie, modifications for many recipes...take a look online....
ernurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #20  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I'm also a doesn't-do-deprivation-well chickie. I make home-made popsicles from grape juice which keep me happy, I also eat WW treats occasionally and Skinny Cow treats. I take the ff dark chocolate pudding cups and add a dash of cinnamon for a real flavor blast. Oh..........now I'm getting hungry
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #21  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

We eat dessert a few times a week. Often it's a reduced sugar ice cream pop or something of the like. Pasty type desserts are A BAD IDEA for me so I stay away from them. I do like fruit and yogurt with a sprinkle of granola. I am TOTALLY going to try the pudding and graham cracker idea as well! That would be REALLY good with lemon pudding... hmmmm...
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not satisfied with a piece of raw fruit, either, but if I slice an apple or a pear, sprinkle on a little brown sugar, a tablespoon or two of oatmeal and microwave it a few minutes - wa la! - it's dessert! I'm also a huge fan of 100 calorie fudge bars. I like chocolate ice cream way too much to keep a container in the house, but those fudge bars are portioned out for me, so I never eat too much. Pudding cups are good, too.

I bake bars or cookies or a cake of some kind every weekend. My family is so great about eating healthy all week long so I feel they deserve a treat each week. We usually have company around for at least one meal each weekend, so the dessert is usually pretty well cleaned up by Sunday night. I usually sub applesauce for the oil in any cake I make and cut the sugar by 1/3 in bars.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I had a 90 calorie jello pudding pop this afternoon -- delicious.

I eat dessert type treats like that a few times a week, mostly prepackaged like that (including WW frozen treats).

I do bake cookies, waffles and loaves of bread that mostly just my husband eats. Twice this year I've made a fruit pie -- once an apple pie for my husband's birthday and once a peach pie at the start of summer. I had a small slice of each the original night I served them, and they were great as well as low-sugar, but I eat pretty low and thus don't have caloric room for something like that regularly.

I do keep a bar of dark chocolate in a drawer, and eat a square sometimes (45 calories).

They sell 4 oz packages of regular-cal ice cream at my grocery store. I think half of that is a pretty good calorie deal if you have room. Fills up one of my glass saucers; it's not so little as it seems.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Initally I was doing cookies, homemade, chocolate chip and the like. My control plan was pretty simple. I mixed a half batch together from scratch, and then froze 3/4 of the dough for use the rest of the week and I only baked 4 cookies each bake...one for each family member. Nice warm cookie with a cold glass of fat free milk...so yummy.
Lately I've either done without if I can or I go to the Slim A Bear Ice cream sandwiches for 100 cals or the swissmiss fudgesicles for 100 cals.
I love the ideas of mini candy bars but for some reason I'm not sure I'd stop at one.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #25  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Last night I pulled out a recipe that I am going to make for a church dinner and remembered this thread. I tweaked an old recipe that used full sugar and full fat products. I don't have the nutritional info. I will have to figure it again when I get the ingredients and need to write it on my recipe! This ends up about 200 calories per slice. I made it for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year to help me resist all my usual holiday treats. My husband also like it but I can't make it on a regular basis because I overeat it. I have a hard time eating just one slice.

Jello/Yogurt Pie

1 pkg sugar free Jello (any flavor but I like strawberry)
1/2 cup hot water
1 pkg sugar free Cool Whip (may use low-fat cool whip, look at the calorie content)
16 oz low calorie yogurt (same flavor as jello)
1 low-fat graham cracker pie crust

Dissolve Jello in hot water. Stir in some ice to get the Jello to start congealing. Once the Jello is slightly congeal, stir in the yogurt and cool whip. Pour in pie crust and let set for 4 hours before service.

For an additional treat, add in some fresh fruit. We really like this best frozen and it will keep in the freezer for a long time. That is if I don't eat it all!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #26  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

The last recipe made me think about strawberry shortcake. I like to go to Walmart and get the following ingredients and just put it together.

A sugar-free Angel food cake
Sugar-free strawberry glaze
Strawberries
Low fat Cool Whip
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #27  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

My MIL told me to buy boxed cake mixes (I will have to look for those no pudge ones listed to make it even better!) and instead of adding the water, oil and egg, add 1 can of diet soda and bake.

also not sure how it would be calorie wise for some.. but I am dying for it so soon I will make it with some tweeks...

Pumpkin Spice Dump Cake:
1 boxed spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin

Mix these and bake at 350 till done. (No don't add the egg, oil, water) The recipe calls for cream cheese frosting, but I'm thinking some of the low fat cream cheese whip stuff (the kind in the tubs) with maybe some sweetnlow or splenda in it would work fine.

This stuff tastes just like the horrible for you pumpkin roll!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

you can take low fat graham crackers crush them up put them in a small baking dish(a flan dish works great) add some i cant believe its not butter and bake. Topp with sugar free chocolate pudding and light cool whip it taste just like chocolate pie. you could top the graham cracker with anything and it would taste like pie i think
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote