3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I don't understand where my oomph went (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/180166-i-dont-understand-where-my-oomph-went.html)

Rosinante 08-26-2009 03:37 AM

I don't understand where my oomph went

I did so well until July. Not outrageously so, I was following a programme that worked and wasn't too taxing. I lost weight well and even lost weight while on holiday.

And then it all hit a brick wall. OK, I had that relationship blip (he still doesn't talk to me voluntarily, so I guess we close that part of my life now) but that shouldn't make such a difference. Since I got back from Spain I lost 6lbs, regained 8, lost 4, regained 6, lost 4, regained 4. I know it's no-one else's fault/responsibility but mine but day by day when I ask myself the question: Would you rather eat this X or would you rather be thinner when you go to Paris in October? I'd rather eat the X.

It sounds so wet and wimpy to say that I've lost my oomph, and I know no-one can retrieve it for me - I'll just try to make Today the day I catch it again, cos it sure as heck wasn't yesterday. :(

RMatS 08-26-2009 03:55 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this from you. :( I know you can do it, and have been doing it for a while now. DO NOT GIVE UP. You'll gain it all back and all the work will be for nothing and you'll be so unhappy. If you're having issues, maybe focus on maintaining for now until you get your mojo back?

salsa chip 08-26-2009 04:16 AM

What works for me (on the whole I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing, but in these situations it turns out to be a plus) is divorcing the emotional from the intellectual. So intellectually I know I have to eat 1500 a day, and the emotions that are all blah get pushed aside a bit because no matter how blah I feel, I still need to eat 1500 a day.

I guess we could call the emotional side "motivation" and the intellectual "commitment". It's the commitment that needs to be there all the time; the motivation will come and go.

Good luck with today :)

CJZee 08-26-2009 05:45 AM

You used to be such an exuberant poster on the boards. I love-love-love to read your thoughts. Maybe by helping us again, it will help you more?

Just for today, pick one thing you will (or won't) do to stay glued to your plan. Just one. You can do this. We are counting on you to be our muse.

TraceyElaine 08-26-2009 06:47 AM

:hug::hug:You can do this my girl! You don't want to be loosing that 100lbs for a third time in a few years do ya? You look amazing and inspire other people (like moi). You can find your oomph again. Look hard don't stop. We are all here for you.

GirlyGirlSebas 08-26-2009 07:25 AM

I understand. I've been going through the same thing myself since May. As of this week, I'm back on-plan and have found my mojo agan. What I'm finding that works well for me is to plan my food. I start off the day knowing exactly what I'm allowed to eat. It helps.

rockinrobin 08-26-2009 08:15 AM

All right little missy. Time to get thy arse re-ooomphed again. For me, I find I need 3 solid, "stick to it like glue no matter what" days to get me back in that groove. 3 days. One day at a time. One hour at a time. Stick to that plan of yours like glue. LIKE GLUE. No matter what. Keep yourself busy, promise yourself things, get out of the house, read, journal, clean - whatever. Just stick to that plan. Give yourself the gift of those 3 days. And I'm pretty sure at the end of those days, you will be feeling marvelous with yourself, you will be relieved. You will be firmly back on the wagon and well on your way.

These things are going to happen from time to time. I know when I'm not firmly on plan, I'm all anxious and out of sorts. I then get myself firmly back on plan and it's like the fog has lifted. I feel all delighted with myself and wonder why I ever veered off in the first place. Never mind the wonderful rewards that come with being on plan, but just BEING on plan, in and of itself is a great feeling - and comforting.

The oomph is there, so get out their and seize it. Grab a hold of it. You can do it. Why wouldn't you?

WhitePicketFences 08-26-2009 08:34 AM

You'd rather eat X ... but you won't eat X. You just won't. Right?

Remember that it doesn't matter what you'd rather today, or what you'd rather next Monday afternoon. Because you are the plodder, and you will keep plodding.

VickieLou 08-26-2009 08:41 AM

Rosinante Sorry to hear you"ve losted your oompha. :hug: Just think of all the walking you will want to do in Paris. The less you weigh the more walking you will be able to do. You won't get as tired and get to see more. Did you want to ask your friend to come with you to Paris? Would that smooth things over?

time2lose 08-26-2009 08:45 AM

Such good post above, great ideas.

You have got to get your oomph back! You have done so well. I was struck by this part of your post

Quote:

when I ask myself the question: Would you rather eat this X or would you rather be thinner when you go to Paris in October? I'd rather eat the X.
Maybe you are thinking too short-term? Picture yourself in 10 years, at our age we have to prepare to be healthy as we age. Instead of asking yourself the question above, ask yourself "Would you rather eat this X or would you rather still be able to travel in 10 years?"

I ask myself "Would you rather eat this X or would you rather be able to walk?" I picture myself as either an active 64 year old or as someone using a motorized chair to get around. I want to be one of those little old ladies that pass me in the walking lane!

GirlyGirlSebas 08-26-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time2lose (Post 2894997)
I want to be one of those little old ladies that pass me in the walking lane!

Yes! Me, too. I want to enjoy my life when I retire.

Rosinante 08-26-2009 09:11 AM

They are really great ideas and I do thank you for your support.

It's just getting out of the cage of the here and now, that I'm struggling with: of course I want to be lighter in Paris; of course I want a fit old age, ****, I'll be glad to make it to old age;my head and my heart really know what the right answer should be but I have such a carbandsugar monster on my back.

Off for a walk now to try and shake it off.

ps, kind thought but I don't want to invite the friend to France, part of this trip is to prove to myself (and no-one else) that I can manage on my own, it's a kind of right of passage affair.

JulieJ08 08-26-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2894933)
For me, I find I need 3 solid, "stick to it like glue no matter what" days to get me back in that groove. 3 days. One day at a time. ... No matter what. ... And I'm pretty sure at the end of those days, you will be feeling marvelous with yourself, you will be relieved. You will be firmly back on the wagon and well on your way.

This is pretty much how it works for me. It helps to think of it as only a few days of "willpower" because sometimes it's thinking about resisting things forever that makes us give up. But after the three days, there's not so much resisting and willpower involved. It gets easier again.

time2lose 08-26-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Rosinante originally posted I have such a carbandsugar monster on my back
Oh, can I identify! Me too. The only thing that works for me is abstinence. One piece of candy, one cookie, one small slice of cake is never enough. It will just make me crave more. I am only free of the cravings if I stay completely away from them. I can deal with a small amount of carbs but there is some line that when I cross the cravings start.

I think you have to go the Robin way. Make some foods off limits. Stick with that for a few days and I think you will see this get easier!

chickiegirl 08-26-2009 09:39 AM

Oh, Rosinante, I hear you! July was my brick wall too. Up and down, up and down.

No easy answers girl. I know you know this is something you have to re-commit to and only you can do it.

But I also know you've had huge successes and huge moments of empowerment and this is totally something you can do and can re-commit to.

Good luck pushing past this! You can absolutely do this!! :)