Trading Bad Habits for Good Ones

• I've been thinking lately about how I've traded a lot of bad habits for good ones in the past couple of months. For example, I used to slather mayonnaise on my sandwiches, but now I've switched to using mustard instead. I've also totally dropped soda in favor of water. The hardest switch for me was cooking at home instead of eating out, but I feel I've adapted pretty well with that now.

What kind of habit changes have you guys made?
  • Drinking water! And not snacking between meals (I know it works for some, but I think it's a dangerous thing for me).
  • There have been so many. I guess in general I have accepted the lowest calorie, healthiest options for everything when cooking. I use butternut squash instead of potatoes. I use non-fat plain yogurt in place of sugary yogurts. I use whole wheat in everything if I am having to use flour or bread--and then I use it sparingly. I have also switched my cow's milk to almond milk--1/2 the calories of skim. Paula Dean style cooking has gone by the way side. I experiment instead, with whole foods recipes that are satiating and delicious--and that won't leave me feeling like garbage.

I eat at home 99% of the time too. No more stopping by the drive-thru. I am too good for such trash foods and my body needs to last.

There are times I do splurge and have something horrific. By doing the right thing the vast majority of the time, I find it workable to indulge on occasion.
  • SF Jello instead of Ice Cream
    Old Fashioned Oats instead of the instant ones
    whole grain bread instead of white floor ones
    sweet potato instead of the regular potato
    green tea instead of soda
    Salmon with veggies instead of hamburgers
    Going for a walk instead of watching tv
    and the changes go on and on
  • Water instead of Everything else.
    Miracle Whip or avocado instead of mayo
    Subway instead of fast food (and driving thru 3 drivethrus)
    And calorie counting instead of eating like a maniac...
  • I now count my calories
    I plan what I will eat at a restaurant before stepping foot into it.
    I eat as much high fiber, low calorie foods as I can.
    I use lots of spices, vinegars, and mustard's now instead of mayo and butter
    I cook with low sodium chicken stock instead of butter or oil
    I love fresh fruit and try hard to make that the only sweets I do indulge in.
    I'm always experimenting with new and healthy recipes so I don't get board and go back to old habits.
  • That weekends are an opportunity for physical activities instead of naps or sleeping in.
  • Counting calories is a big one for me- I didn't do this ever before.

I also cook so much more than I used to. Before we'd eat out a few times a week- now maybe once a week we'll eat out.

Exercise has increased also- before I NEVER exercised- now I workout at least 5 days a week I'd say
  • So funny so many of you cut out potatoes - one of my best fixes was getting rid of bread in my lunch and substituting a small baked potato with malt vinegar instead - healthier AND less calories

I only drink water, even for breakfast most days (I used to have milk but I am sensitive to it).

Awareness of portion sizes, started tracking my hunger and satiety.

Eating fruits and veggies before anything else in my meal.

My single BIGGEST success - journaling my food! Not every single gram, but a general rundown of what I ate. I use a journal on my fridge for accountability and trackig satiety, and the LoseIt! iPod application for calorie tracking.

I also weigh daily and work out half an hour a day, four or five days a week, but that's just for general health more than weight loss.

I lose slowly, but still always maintaining or trending downwards. That is a huge victory for me, no yo-yoing!
  • My biggest change? PLANNING my food and STICKING to it.
  • I have a list that can go on and on but I will use just one -

I stopped drinking my 12 pack of sodas daily and now I drink water..lots and lots of water.
  • Turkey sausage instead of greasy pork sausage (regular AND Italian)
    Bison instead of beef
    A big one was coffee. I used to drink a TON of coffee with a LOT of sugary flavored creamers every morning. Now I have an 85 calorie chai tea latte with agave nectar, and the rest of the time it's green tea with lemon, no sugar.
  • Oh, and how about this: an egg beater/spinach omelet for breakfast instead of 6 slices of cold pizza, 2 cokes, and 1/3 of a chocolate cake for breakfast.
  • the biggies were ditching the diet soda, ditching the crazy snacking after dinner, and starting to eat breakfast.