Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/see ticker!/175

Height: 5'5"

Wink New to the forum...have lots of weight to lose!

Hi there! My name is Robyn, and I'm 28 years old. I have 2 children, and work part time.
I am 270lbs, though so many people say I don't look it. I feel 1270, though, most of the time. I just want to lose 100lbs or so, so I can feel comfortable in my own skin again.
I love to cook, I love everything but fish, and I have a small budget. My one staple is soda, which I am going to try desperately to stop drinking.
If anyone would like to trade stories, or has any tips for me, don't hesitate to pm me!!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!!
~R
imaninjadangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Robyn

Definitely ditch the soda, if it's the regular sugary stuff, it's just hummingbird food and isn't good for you or anybody in your family.

I'm so glad you like to cook - I really feel one of the reasons I was successful was I liked to cook! Eat plenty of good, whole foods, limit processed foods with little nutritional value and you will be on your way to a healthier, better-feeling you.

Sorry you don't like fish - I would highly recommend my favorite salmon recipe to see if changes your mind - total winner for everyone I've ever made it for!

Maple-glazed salmon

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound salmon

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.

Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 265
Total Fat: 12.4g
Cholesterol: 67mg
Sodium: 639mg
Total Carbs: 14.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
Protein: 23.1g
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/see ticker!/175

Height: 5'5"

That does sound super good. I will def try that!! Thanks!

And yes, it is the normal, sugary, oh-so-tasty, carbonated...okay...I have to stop.
imaninjadangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

You might try replacing your soda with something different. I got my husband to switch to sugar free cherry kool-aid and he loves it. After drinking that for quite some time he started drinking an occasional diet Mt. Dew. He was a HUGE regular Mt. Dew drinker before - like 3 or 4 big bottles per day. He always swore he couldn't stand the diet, but the kool-aid changed his taste buds or something. Just a thought.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi, welcome!

Do you have a plan of attack yet? I'm a calorie counter, though honestly right now I'm doing it very loosely because I'm nursing my 3 month old and some days that alone makes me ravenous! I do try to stay about 1800 a day. I have promised myself that I don't have to cut anything out, and I don't have to eat things I don't like. I can eat what I want, in controled portions and as long as it fits into my calories for the day. We have switched from regular soda to diet, from koolaide to crystal light and from ice tea made with a ton of sugar to ice tea made with sweet n low. I also try to drink 64+ ounces of water every day... I'm not a water fan so I found if I drink it from a straw I can guzzle it and not even realize what I'm doing before I have my 32oz cup emptied.

Good luck, this is a long hard journey... but you CAN do it!! We are all here for you!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome, Robyn

This forum is full of information. When I first started I read the older threads and learned so much.

Glory, Thanks for the recipe. I struggle with healthy cooking and this sounds simple enough that even I can do it!

Last edited by time2lose; 08-20-2009 at 09:41 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh - it's so easy. I confess to just slapping the salmon skin side down in a pan and drizzling the 1/4 cup maple syrup over both pieces and just not measuring the soy sauce or garlic salt and not marinating it and it's STILL great. I serve it over Trader Joe's microwavable brown rice (serves 2) and a simple, steamed green veggie and it's SO EASY - it's my "go to" dinner when I want to feel virtuous and don't feel like cooking.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Welcome Robyn! This is a great place for support, you're going to be really happy that you found it.

And Glory-that recipe looks fantastic! I'm going to make it this week!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Robyn and welcome! Good luck with your goals

I am a calorie counter as well. It is fairly simple and flexible

Side note - Glory, I am ganking that recipe..thanks
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #11  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

So glad to see you on the board! 3FC is a great place for encouragement and support. I find there are times when I am posting more for help and other times when I am spending more time lending encouragement. I think it's a nice balance here.

As for plans, I am doing Calorie Counting. I use Fitday to track calories. I'm not cutting anything strictly out of my diet but I have elimated fast food and most junk for the most part. I am trying to eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, and whole grains.

Stick around and post often!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #12  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Welcome Robyn! You are going to be amazed how even a small amount of weight lost is going to make you feel so much better. Mentally and physically.

Sounds like your first hurdle is going to be the pop. Try Crystal Lite it comes in lots of great flavors.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! I am a calorie counter, too, altho I have tried all sorts of diets. I have found calorie counting is best for me. You shoud choose a plan that you will do. Many prefer Weigh Watchers and South Beach is popular as well as Atkins and there are others. It is ok to experiment until you find what works for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #14  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

welcome, I am a calorie counter too, I use www.sparkpeople.com and love it over there...

good luck to you!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #15  

Height: 6'1

Welcome to the boards. Everyone has given you a lot of great starting points. I use dailyplate to keep track of my calories and I have started drinking tons of water in the last few weeks. I have really noticed the benefits of the water. Also for me, checking in here has been so motivational because I can't wait to start posting pics of my progress. Do what works for you, good luck on your journey.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote