Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft6'

Default Veggies anyone?

I do not get enough fruits and veggies in my diet. I sure do try but seem to fail everytime. I mean I do eat some everyday but not near enough. So I deciede the other day that I would get some veggie juice and try to add that to my plan. Like a cup before meals. 1c=1 serv of fruit and 1 serv of veg. So I figure can't hurt right.

Anyone else had to resort to veg juice to get all their servings in?
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Not me, I love eating fruits and veggies
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I haven't had to do that very much, because I often have green beans around--the microwavable kind--that I dress up with a TBS of olive oil, some dill weed, and some salt. Good hot or cold! And I like the bagged salad mixes. As for fruits, we have peaches, blueberries... so many delicious fruits right now!

But when I do feel a lack of veggies, V-8 is my "go to" thing. It also helps with leg cramps if I drink it in the evening.

The only drawback to juices is that you aren't getting the fiber, which is another benefit.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-19-2009 at 07:10 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Not me. I use veggies, especially high fiber ones, to fill me up and I don't think that juice would do the same thing.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Same as time2lose, I used the bulk of tasty, low calorie vegetables to keep me full and satisfied. I like to eat, and I like a big plate of food! If you are having trouble getting enough vegetables, juice seems a good alternative (if it fits within your calories for the day).

Here's a typical menu for me (on maintenance, but trying to drop 2 lbs):

B - Trader Joe's fat free Greek yogurt with honey, 4 oz sliced strawberries

L - big salad - romaine, broccoli slaw, water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, edamame, grilled chicken breast, small measured serving of crunchy wonton bits, small measured serving of cashews, measured serving of Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette dressing

S - tall non fat latte

S - Cherries (loooove cherry season)

S - string cheese

D - home made vegetable soup (tomatoes, leeks, spinach, chickpeas, summer squash), sprinkle of parmesan cheese, 1 Trader Joe's naan
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Luckily I'm able to get all my veggie servings in, it's the fruit I have a problem with; they just get too tart for me. I've solved my little dilemma though by making smoothies out of fruit and plain yogurt every morning.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know what you mean, some days the time slips by and you just haven't gotten enough veg in, it happens! Veggie juice is better than no veg, I'm sure! maybe put some BeneFibre in it to make it more fibre-dense LOL I never have a problem getting enough fruit, it's like catnip to me hehehe but sometimes the veg is hard. I make a crazy veg soup that's got everything in it and freeze it in single servings, and try to squeeze that in if i'm running behind, or some raw veggies and dips. I've gotten away from all the pre-packaged salad stuff after all the horror stories of bacteria, etc., and it rots way faster. Having the garden this year has helped tremeandously!!

wow I kinda meandered away from the point there..it's the heat, sorry! drink the veggie juice when all else fails! it's better than nothing
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #8  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I was reading a V-8 can and I think it was high in salt. And then there's this other "fusion" they do, but that's high in sugar, if I remember correctly. So I just keep piling the fruits and veg on at lunch and dinner. Pile, pile, pile. *sigh*

What juice are drinking?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 6

I just do the real thing. The fruits and veggies are a low calorie way to fill me up. The juices usually have much higher calories than the real fruits/veggies, plus the fruity ones are high in sugar. For me that would make me hungrier!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I personally do the real things BUT if you are going to do veggie juice try to pick the low sodium version. It will give you the vitamins and minerals that you are lacking so it's not a bad way to go about things
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #11  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

If you REALLY want to get more fresh vegetables into your diet, I suggest buying a juicer and juicing fresh vegetables. WAAAAAAAAY better and healthier than any juice you could ever buy in the stores. Not to mention how your skin will start to just glow!
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I have trouble getting my veggies in so what I do is buy the small (around single serving size) frozen ones and mix them in with what I'm eating (chicken, beef, whatever) to make a one dish meal.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I get plenty of fruit, but not in veggies (non starch veggies that is). I have thought about the juices but many of the ones I find have too much sodium. I have thought about a juicer but have not gone that route. Instead, I have started steaming veggies then blending them down and cooking them into my casseroles.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote