Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Reason to eat #739: my kid killed the class salamander

We've been taking care of the class pet all summer, a tiger salamander. No problems, very low maintenance. Last night my 11 year old was changing the water in the aquarium, and she put the salamander in the sink, because he has to be wet at all times. She left the water in the sink running and when she came back a minute later, the water was hot-- she had accidentally scalded the poor thing. He seemed to recover ok, we got him in the right temperature water right away, and he seemed to be his old self, but when I woke up this morning he was dead. On top of that he's a rare tiger salamander and can't be replaced because he's indigenous around here.

I feel like total crap. I left a voice mail with the teacher this morning and DREAD having to tell her. I'd like to eat a quart of ice cream to numb out these feelings. I guess I can only hope that my two younger kids don't have her for a teacher, or that she wasn't too attached to the salamander.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

It was an accident. Accidents happen. Everyone will be very sad, but really, accidents totally happen. That is part of life. I'm so sorry...would it help to have a semi-formal funeral-type event, to celebrate its life? Big hugs, this sucks.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

yes it was an accident and if the teacher was that attached to the salamander then it wouldn't have gone home with you....trust me! There are few people that I trust with my herps but I'm attached to them!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry! But DC is right...it was an accident. You don't really want the ice cream, you just want the numb feeling, go workout, read a book, distract yourself. You've done so awesome saying NO to junkfood, don't mess it up now!
Don't worry, the teacher may not be that upset. On top of it, one day you'll be able to look back on this as a story you can tell your daughter's children
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #5  
No description available.

Accidents happen, that's for sure. I doubt the teacher will hold it against you or your kids.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

You have any idea how many kids have killed class pets? Well, me neither, but I bet it's a lot. I had a newt as a kid and my sister and I put that animal through **** (dropped it numerous times and loved to drive it around on the remote control car. Of course he always fell off and got run over). The poor thing lived 7 years and probably prayed for death every day. Amphibians just aren't meant to live in our world. I'm sure he's in a better place. And I'm sure the teacher will be very understanding
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Obviously right now it is painful, but at some point, you can look back at this and laugh. Well, maybe chuckle.
Anyway, the ice cream will not help!! Stay away from the ice cream!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe offer to buy another pet- not the same exact salamander- but a replacement one? I'm sure the teacher wouldn't mind and it'd help the other kids get over the loss of the other pet.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I'm so sorry! I'm sure that the teacher has experianced this before though.

Remember-eating ice cream does not revive salamanders!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #10  

some day you will lol about this.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Aw, how sad! I'm sorry! Hopefully the teacher understands. I like the idea of having a small funeral like celebration..
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris81 View Post
Remember-eating ice cream does not revive salamanders!
Best reply yet!

I'm sure the teacher understands. The whole point of sending the pets home is to teach the kids about responsibility, how to resolve conflicts and more. Your sweetie will learn how to react by watching you. She will have so much to share with the class about this experience. It will also make for a great term paper some day.

Chalk this one up to something else you two can look back upon and laugh about.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Oh no... step away from the ice cream! Don't let it get you... it's only a salamadar for peets sake. If the teacher was attached to it, she wouldn't have let another person keep it for a whole summer. Accidents happen. I agree with offering to replace it with another pet, and I also agree with doing something to take your mind off that ice cream.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #15  

Height: 4'11"

I couldn't get a hold of the teacher all day. I finally went over there and waited for her to be through with her meetings. I didn't want to tell her on her voicemail, that just didn't seem right. Anyway she was fine with it. It was no big deal and I was very relieved. I did offer to replace it, and she said she'd let me know if she was going to get another pet.

So it all turned out ok. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by thinpossible; 08-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote