Eggs & Cholesterol:How many are too many per day?

• Does anybody enjoy boiled eggs as much as I do? Im beginning to worry about cholesterol though.....I am a vegetarian, so I dont eat much things with cholesterol in them besides the eggs.

How many do you eat per day? Do you worry about cholesterol?
  • I normally have 2 whole eggs every day and honestly, I don't worry about it.
  • I usually eat two eggs every day for breakfast - sometimes hard boiled, sometimes fried and rolled into a wrap, sometimes scrambled or into an omlette. I like the protein to keep me going all morning. I do not worry about my cholesterol and my levels are always good at my checkups. The Dr says I need to lose weight but he has no complaints on my blood pressure, cholesterol or other numbers - just my wieght (which is coming down slowly).
  • Since you are a vegetarian I wouldn't worry unless you are eating more than 4 eggs a day. If you don't have a history of high cholesterol you should be fine.

I have heard of some people who eat 1-2 dozen eggs a week and are healthy- you need your protein
  • I have 2 eggs almost every day. I have my own chickens and can monitor their feed. I worry about the eggs that come from large egg operations. They sometimes add strange stuff to the chicken's feed to increase egg production. I think that can come through in the egg. I would just suggest looking for organic eggs, or better yet, farm fresh eggs.

May seem crazy, but I can tell the difference!
  • Well what is your cholesterol? Have you had it tested before?

I would also recommend looking for farm fresh eggs from humanely treated chickens. I believe animal products from animals that are stressed isn't good. I recently had to perform a search for eggs for my dogs and it was really hard to find decent eggs. Even the organic ones don't say cage free. The funny thing is the eggs I found look 'different' than the standard grocery store eggs. They look more real if that makes sense.
  • Quote: Well what is your cholesterol? Have you had it tested before?

I would also recommend looking for farm fresh eggs from humanely treated chickens. I believe animal products from animals that are stressed isn't good. I recently had to perform a search for eggs for my dogs and it was really hard to find decent eggs. Even the organic ones don't say cage free. The funny thing is the eggs I found look 'different' than the standard grocery store eggs. They look more real if that makes sense.
    Yes, I buy the cage free ones from Walmart. I know that there is still cruelty involved with those, but it has got to be better on the chickens not being in a small crate. I also get some fresh farm eggs from the inlaws, but I have a big problem with getting those to peel. I read up online and some say to only boil 5 minutes, then they should peel. Tried that, that doesnt work. so....oh well.
  • I have read time and again after searching google for "are eggs bad for your cholesterol" that they are NOT and I have seen it on tons of "myth vs facts about food" that eggs are not bad for you ....(eggs are bad for your cholesterol: myth!) you might want to google that for a more in depth answer.

I'm veggie as well, I eat a lot of eggs, my cholesterol is fine.
  • Quote: I have read time and again after searching google for "are eggs bad for your cholesterol" that they are NOT and I have seen it on tons of "myth vs facts about food" that eggs are not bad for you ....(eggs are bad for your cholesterol: myth!) you might want to google that for a more in depth answer.

I'm veggie as well, I eat a lot of eggs, my cholesterol is fine.
    I can sometimes eat like 5 or 6 a day.....is that what you consider a lot? I like to take them to work for snacks, and sometimes just for lunch.
  • Eggs are a wonderful food and so good for you. I go thru times when I eat several a day and then none for a while. I wouldn't worry about cholesterol being affected by egg consumption at all.
  • I eat about 4-5 some days, I don't want to go over my fat limit for the day so I will have 2 whole eggs sometimes and then 4 egg whites, have you had your cholesterol checked? If it's ok I'd say nothing to worry about.
  • I eat 4 whole eggs a day, but if I need quick lunches and in between snacks, after that, I switch to egg whites. My cholesterol is great. I have also heard that it is a myth that the eggs raise your cholesterol levels. So, if you love it them, and it's keeping you from "other" choices. I say keep it up =) Also, if you are worried about cholesterol, rolled oats really do help bring it down. Put some applesauce and cinnamon on top, it's like a little healthy apple pie.