Can someone "splain" this to me?

• I have been a little more than frustrated with myself lately because I did not lose a thing during the month of July. I want to lose, I was working as hard as I was able- though I missed a week of my regular walking after my biopsy- but we did walk 1 mile a day a couple of the days instead of the regular 3- it was all I could do. I was back to myself today and we walked FOUR miles- yeah!!-- opps, back to my question.....

Anyhow, so I lost no weight on the scale, but when measuring I have lost an inch off my "muffin" top and 1/2 inch of my hips and 1/4 or 1/2 in a couple other places. Once I got past being depressed about the scale not moving, I realized something is happening or I would not have had the inches lost- right? I mean, did I lose some fat, but it is replaced with smaller muscle- or what- I don't get it? I was beating myself up for not staying on plan, but if I am getting smaller I must be doing something right- huh?

Can someone explain- casue my little brain is way too confused- the scale I understand- simple, strightforward, logical- why does weight loss not follow in a nice logical way- the way I like things??? :-) I'm on the way to onederland, but I feel like my train got de-railed and there is no repair team in sight!
  • I think the scale is overrated as a measurement tool. Inches lost is queen. Please don't beat yourself up and keep on with it. Do you feel better? Do you have more energy? Are you taking better care of yourself through nutrition and exercise? Are you happier? confident? Enjoying life more?
    Good luck.
  • I think if you stick to your plan and the walking, you will see a loss eventually. I had weeks where I didn't lose anything, but I would just food journal and that would usually help me weed out the culprit.
  • Like mamaspank says, I usually discover that I've gone a little further off track when I have times of non-losing. Other times, though, it seems that I'm doing everything the same and for some unexplained reason, I don't lose on that week. Maybe even two weeks in a row! But if I stick to my plan, the loss will eventually begin again and sometimes I even get a nice reward of a 2 or 3 pound loss. (I lose at a rate of about 1.5 pounds per week normally).

I would agree with you that if you're losing inches then your plan is working! The scale is just one way of measuring progress, so try not to get too disappointed if it doesn't show a loss at a particular time....you're losing inches, so you're on the right track!
  • I am in the same boat myself. I keep loosing and gaining the same 2-3lbs. I am going to start an exercise program, and be more careful with what I am eating, journaling as someone said, is a good idea I think. Hang in there 2behealthy, we can do it. Hugs to you!