It's definitely the cereal.

• The reason I've been feeling crappy all week? Cereal. I normally stay away from it, but when I go grocery shopping I primarily shop "loss leaders" and grocery stores have been having a lot of cereal sales lately. I thought since it wasn't sugary, I'd be OK. I've been eating a bowl every day. Yesterday I had some for afternoon snack, and almost immediately I felt that same crappy feeling I've had all week.

Eating cereal + my carb sensitive system = feeling crappy + craving more carbs

Fiber One doesn't seem to have that effect on me, but maybe it's because I always combine it with a protein, like yogurt or cottage cheese. Other than that and oatmeal, no more cereal for me.

I'm starting to see I'm even more sensitive when it comes to grains/starches than I thought.

I think I'm hereby declaring myself allergic. Even though I don't break out in hives or go into anaphylactic shock, it sure seems like my body has a definite negative reaction to certain foods.
  • Fiber is really good for you, if you can just eat fiber one instead try that. Fiber makes your body absorb the sugars from carbs more slowly, so you don't have that kind of sensitivity to high fiber foods (I"m guess this is the case with you, as it is with me)

I eat carbs, I just want to go to sleep! Then wake up, and eat more carbs!

hehe. try and stick to complex carbs instead. much better for you anyhow. The more fiber the better! I LOVE Fiber one apple cinnamon muffins. Speaking of I'm doing bulk cooking, maybe I"ll make some today. Though the muffins are still prolly not the best idea for you
  • Fiber One has Aspartame instead of sugar, so the carb count is much lower - probably why it doesn't affect you as much. I love FiberOne! Especially with fresh blueberries on it.
  • I also love Fiber One. Yesterday I had a bowl (okay, so it was a big bowl) topped with a diced apple, cinnamon and splenda. I put unsweetened almond milk over the top. It tasted I SWEAR like Apple Pie.

I actually prefer (taste wise) Kashi Go Lean. I just cannot have it in here though. I gorge myself. Someday I hope to be past that point.
  • glad you found the reason for your yucky feeling, hope this week is, carb free cravings for you.
  • All cereals and grains do the same to me, and give me a lovely carb hangover headache, to boot. I get all my fiber from veggies now, and feel MUCH better.
  • I don't know whether it's grain-related, gluten-grain related (since oatmeal doesn't seem to bother me) or generically carb-related, but I also find that I do best on a relatively low carb, especially grain and sugar diet. Sugar is definitely a trigger, not only for hunger, but also for some very weird symptoms. I ate much more grains and carbs last week when visiting my parents in Illinois, and (as usual) my joint pain, fatigue, hunger issues, and even my skin problems flared. I haven't had to use my prescription steroid skin cream for months, and after a few high carb, high grain days I ended up with the scaley "ick" on my face of seborrheic dermatitis (or as my husband calls it "face-rot").

Even knowing that I will feel terrible (and look terrible with the face-rot and rosacea), I sometimes forget how important it is to keep grains/sugars/starches under control. I've proven it often enough, that I'm not sure why I continue to experiement. Hubby "lectured" me today because he saw the skin starting to flake around my eyebrows and nose, and he said "have you been eating too many carbs, again?" I guess it's pretty bad when he notices before I do.
  • Quote: I don't know whether it's grain-related, gluten-grain related (since oatmeal doesn't seem to bother me) or generically carb-related, but I also find that I do best on a relatively low carb, especially grain and sugar diet. Sugar is definitely a trigger, not only for hunger, but also for some very weird symptoms. I ate much more grains and carbs last week when visiting my parents in Illinois, and (as usual) my joint pain, fatigue, hunger issues, and even my skin problems flared. I haven't had to use my prescription steroid skin cream for months, and after a few high carb, high grain days I ended up with the scaley "ick" on my face of seborrheic dermatitis (or as my husband calls it "face-rot").

Even knowing that I will feel terrible (and look terrible with the face-rot and rosacea), I sometimes forget how important it is to keep grains/sugars/starches under control. I've proven it often enough, that I'm not sure why I continue to experiement. Hubby "lectured" me today because he saw the skin starting to flake around my eyebrows and nose, and he said "have you been eating too many carbs, again?" I guess it's pretty bad when he notices before I do.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what my triggers are, but carbs definitely make me feel yucky and trigger major cravings. Whole wheat pasta, potatoes and tortillas are OK. I can eat small amounts of rice or bread if I pair them with a protein. Oats and corn are iffy, sometimes I can handle them, other times not. Crackers and cereal (except Fiber One) are a huge no-no. And of course, I don't eat sugar, but any of those with sugar is a binge waiting to happen.

Even though I don't know why some things trigger me and others don't, at least I can tell before I eat them if they're going to trigger cravings.

One thing this whole cereal ordeal has taught me, it's much better to be safe than sorry. Those cravings are so tough to fight off. Much better to avoid them in the first place.
  • Quote:
    Fiber One has Aspartame instead of sugar, so the carb count is much lower
    And that is why I can't eat fiber one. I found that out after a month of eating it and weird headaches/spells.