Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Danger Will Robinson

I don't know what is up with me this week, but I am craving carbs like crazy! I'm tired. I'm just feeling yucky, like I want to crawl into bed.

It's not my TOM, but every time I walk through the grocery store or go into Starbucks the junk calls to me. Today was my son's birthday party and I wanted some of that cake so badly! (I mean, I didn't really want it, because it wouldn't have tasted as good as I thought it would. I'm sure I would've been able to taste the shortening in the frosting, and the cake would not have been as light and fluffy as the addict in my brain was telling me).

What is up with me? I haven't made any major changes to my eating or exercise, what gives? I feel like I'm on the cliff...could my commitment be slipping? Do I need to be more restrictive with my grains/starches? Should I exercise more? (Ugh, just the thought is making me tired.) I don't want to fizzle out. I've done more than my fair share of fizzling, and it's usually right around Onderland that it happens.

Phooey. What's wrong with me?

Last edited by thinpossible; 07-30-2009 at 11:57 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Happens to me too every now and then. One thing that can work for me is surprising my mouth with something different. If I want cake, I eat a couple of dill pickles. It seems to send the craving into shock for a bit until it fades on its own.

Good for you for resisting your son's cake, that would have been a toughie for me - even after all this time! Cake + true reason to celebrate (he's your son!) I would have been a goner. Kudos! You're right, it wouldn't have tasted nearly as good as you thought it would.

You aren't going to fizzle out, sometimes we just get cravings for no good reason! The other day, I really really wanted pancakes. It was out of the blue, but it went away.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Sounds like your body and your head are going in opposite directions. From what you said, this has happened to you before "it's usually right around onederland when it happens" have you given up junk food totally before for this length of time? Maybe your head is playing a trick on you, so you will give in. Not sure if you want that, but can you induge a wee-bit, or is that not possible without a free-fall backwards? I do want to say, saying No, to cake at your son's BD party is truly wonderful, you are so strong and I wish you much success. Two months is amazing without Junk Food.

ps-{I know I could be more successful if I gave up all Junk also-I love reading you posts, keep up the Great Job!! You are doing so well}
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

How about experimenting with some new foods and recipes and cooking methods? Time to try something new. Jazz up your menu a bit. Expand what you CAN and SHOULD eat....

Make a wonderful new salad, loaded with mango, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, red onions, yellow peppers, euro greens, grape tomatoes.....

Or a banana smoothie.... made from no fat yogurt and fresh bananas, skim milk......

Or some tender, spicy and crunchy chicken fingers... coated in corn flakes, oats, sliced almonds with a hit of cayenne pepper....... Or some lemon chicken......

Or a wonderful black bean chili....... or a delicious tomato soup.......

No fizzling young lady. NONE. Revitalizing yes - fizzling - NO.

Cravings can be strong - but luckily you are STRONGER. You ARE stronger.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh and I LOVE the reference to one of my all time favorite old shows. And I've used that expression many times, but not in a while. I think I'll bring it back now! Thanks for the memories........
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Rockinrobin - It was great to read all your suggestions. I'll try those myself. And I loved your comment: "No fizzling young lady. NONE. Revitalizing yes - fizzling - NO."
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I understand this completely. I would kill for for rice, pasta, or a potato!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #8  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I get the carb cravings the week before TOM. If it's in your food plan, what about a bowl of oatmeal? Sometimes cravings are head-cravings (like cake), but sometimes I think it is nature's way of calling for what our body needs. So I would find a healthy carb and go for it. But that is just me.

If it is the Onederland thing maybe get out an old fashioned pen and notebook and do some stream of consciousness writing. Is Onederland scary for some reason?

And as Rockin' Robin (who Rocks BTW!) said - No Fizzling! You can do this - just for today.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Thanks Ladies. I appreciate the support. I don't know what the connection is with Onderland, maybe I do need to do some writing about that.

Robin, thanks for the suggestions for revitalizing. Gonna work on that.

Pep talk to self:
I CAN do this. I CAN get through this rough spot. I CAN do what will make me feel better, instead of going for instant gratification. I can keep my streak of no junk food going. I can get into the 190s, the 180s, and even lower. I am happy with my plan. It's healthy, and I can be comfortable doing it for the rest of my life. I WILL keep doing the work. I will not let my weird brain derail me. I CAN override what my inner carb addict keeps telling me. I don't want that stuff. I don't need that stuff, I WILL NOT eat that stuff.

I think I'm just going to report in today on this thread and track how I'm doing. Woke up feeling pretty yucky. Wanted cereal for breakfast, which can be a slippery slope for me-- even the sugarless kind. Cooked some ground turkey topped with cottage cheese instead. Very yummy and giving me the protein kick I need. Also had a pear because if I don't start out with a fruit or veggies I won't get them all in.

Drank water instead of diet soda. I think my soda intake has been creeping up, and that may well be part of my problem. Just going to have one after dinner tonight. I think I just need a few days that are super clean. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to small changes in my diet/exercise than I think.

Thanks again. I'll be back to check in after lunch.

EDIT: Did ok at lunch. Now I'm about to have my afternoon snack. The way I've been craving cereal, I think it and diet coke are the culprit.

Last edited by thinpossible; 07-31-2009 at 04:42 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote