Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Default Can someone explain this yo-you thing?

I do great for a bit get my weight down and then it's like a free for all the next day. Yesterday I weight in at 292 my lowest in awhile and I was thrilled because I've been stuck at 294 for a week. Then I pretty much ate all day, it was terrible. I did bike about 6km during the day and went to aquafit but ice cream cake? come on what is wrong with this picture? So back at 294lb this morning. I find it's been like this for months, the drop, the gain the struggle back to the drop. It almost like this jolt I give myself okay will do better today, going to aquafit again today, not sure I'd do anything else in this heat though. Counting calories today.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

When I was yo yoing these past few months, it was almost like I had the attitude of, "Oh, I dropped a few lbs, now I can EAT!"

I'm not saying this is your problem, but maybe? Just try and take it one day at a time, and after you lose, try and be extra vigilant of your calories, exercise, etc, because you know that that is a sensitive time for you.

My fridge is covered in inspirational pics and quotes.

Maybe do this? It is hard to reach in the freezer for an ice cream cake when you have to open a door that says, "I have wanted to quit, but never more than I wanted to succeed."

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Maybe you need to stay off the scale for a couple of weeks? Do you think that would help?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Have you figured out why you are eating all day the day after a drop? Do you think it is a "reward" thing? Are you actually feeling hungry or are you binging?

Have you done any change up to your work out routine - something that is new and hard to do because your body is not used to it? Maybe it's time to try something else for the exercise so that your body has to "think" when doing the workout?

If it is coming from a reward perspective, then try to find something else to reward yourself with. If it is coming from actual hunger, evaluate overtraining, dehydration, or starvation causes.

Another option is to account for the "treat" item in your meal planning. If it is the heat and wanting something cold, find something better for you than the ice cream cake. We've actually been loving Julie's frozen yogurt. Their local so I'm not sure you can get them where you are. Also, make sure you are portion controlling the "treat" if/when possible.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie63 View Post
When I was yo yoing these past few months, it was almost like I had the attitude of, "Oh, I dropped a few lbs, now I can EAT!"
yes, I definitely kwym.

I weigh in on Fridays, and I had gotten into the pattern of saying to myself "I've been sticking really well to the plan all week, now I can relax and have some treats!" sometimes that has spilled out into the weekends, which means sometimes I might still lose weight, sometimes I wouldn't (I'd maintain), or sometimes I'd gain. (And that can be discouraging!)

I've been working on my Fridays and weekends, which is helping. My strategy is trying to consciously keep in mind what I want more, the weight loss or the goodie. I do that by coming here and reading posts, and by trying to focus on the positive aspects of losing the weight (smaller clothes, better body, better health, etc.). I know it's tough!

But you know, once I let go of a bad habit -- example, I was eating ice cream every Friday night for quite a while, as my allowed splurge, and I stopped doing it since it was interferring too much with my efforts -- I don't even miss it. In fact, I'm kind of thrilled I'm not doing it anymore.

Don't let the blips get you down. I'm sure it's something a ton of people experience.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wish I could explain it to you. But I think this is one you're going to have to figure out for yourself.

If it's a reward you're after, try something OTHER then food. A manicure, a new book, a scarf, a small piece of costume jewelery - something other then food.

You say you're counting calories, so do you count these days when you're eating all day??? Shouldn't that help keep you in check? How about making an unbreakable rule that you will write every bite, lick, taste and crumb that goes into your mouth BEFORE you put it in your mouth?

You've got to set yourself some rules young lady and stick with them.

Don't forget to keep your home a safe haven by getting rid of the junk and ADDING in good healthy foods.

Plan out your days IN ADVANCE, each and every one of them. Then execute the heck out of it. Repeat the process. No stopping. Just continuing. You CAN do this. You know what needs to be done - now go out there and do it!!! Ya hear? Good.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree- don't reward yourself with food. I used to do the same thing. The attitude now is "great, I'm still down, time to keep it up!"

Last edited by beerab; 07-30-2009 at 01:35 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #8  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

you have to always keep your eye on the prize!
MsDiana 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #9  

I don't think or feel like it's a reward thing but I haven't been keeping up with journaling or tracking as I should be. But it could be, I'll have to delve further. I've been slowing achieving going organic, only so many options here. The house is pretty much a safe haven, usually but the ice cream cake was a total spontaneous buy and I'm easing the kids and ourselves (easier for the adults) off the processed and colors. I started this to see if there is a behavior difference for my oldest son and listening to Jillian talk about it in on her podcast.

My exercise routine hasn't change much it's mostly only been aquafit with a few walks, biking or berry picking/gardening in there. I do need to get back to the gym but it's gross hot in there as they don't have air conditioning.

Yes, I have to stick to my plan and journal and count and stay focused. Another blip on the radar but I'm back on track after yesterdays fiasco! Thanks for the input ladies.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundChick View Post
I do need to get back to the gym but it's gross hot in there as they don't have air conditioning.
ok, that just is ... not right!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

This is EXACTLY what I just went through. I'm one month in and my first week I lost 6 pounds. I was so excited. And everytime after that I was presented with food/treats I had this split second processing time where I'd think "I lost a good amount of weight already, I can slide a little bit." And then I'd slide and slide and for the last 3 weeks I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds which put me into a slump.
Someone recommened this to me: Just aim for having a good day just for today. It'll motivate you to keep having good days. And so I don't fall into my pattern of thinking anymore I sat down and figured out all my mini goals (loss broken into 10% increments) and my "self" reward for each one. Than I posted it on the fridge and I'm going to post another right by my scale. The one on the fridge (and I mean it stand out front and center) I'm hoping keeps me from shoveling the food into my mouth every time I lose a few pounds. So far its been VERY effective. Especially because I have some very exciting rewards on there, like a trip to Victoria Secrets when I hit 149. I don't even care if I buy anything so long as I can walk into that shop and KNOW I could wear an item!!

Last edited by TaraLee; 07-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #12  

You'd think I'd have this now after 8 months of this.

I got on the Wii today, started the 30 day challenge for Active, worked up a great sweat. This may be what I need to get out of my fitness slump as well. Doing good so far today!