3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   The Heck with it! Im having me some salt! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/177295-heck-im-having-me-some-salt.html)

girlonfire 07-22-2009 04:32 PM

I have HBP, so I have to avoid it. Tabasco sauce is really yummy on eggs though and a couple drops doesn't contain too much sodium.

But yeah, I love salt.

nooch 07-22-2009 05:00 PM

I don't have high blood pressure, so when I make something that ends up tasting like air or cardboard (oops!) I am happy to put salt on it. I'm not A Salt Person, though.

TraceyElaine 07-22-2009 05:32 PM

I put salt and pepper on lots of stuff. As long as you arent going nutts with it and maybe have an extra glass of water that day you should be fine. Salt away.

mandalinn82 07-22-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin
I salt almost everything that I make. But I do stay away from processed foods 95% of the time, and that is where there's lots of EXCESS sodium to be found. Like Jayell, I don't have high blood pressure (anymore, that is!!) so I'm not concerned with salting my homemade foods.

Yep! My sodium, since eliminating most processed foods except a few things, is pretty low (unless I make stirfry with soy sauce...)...so I don't worry about adding salt to my homemade meals. I almost never have water retention from any of the homemade stuff (except the stirfries) but almost ALWAYS get a LOT of it when I eat out or eat convenience foods.

chickiegirl 07-22-2009 05:50 PM

I use/eat salt. I find that the real gains don't come from sea salt in my cooking, but when I eat a lot of processed foods and don't attention to what's there.

Gela 07-22-2009 07:48 PM

I don't use a lot of salt normally. But some foods (eggs, popcorn, home made salsa) must be salted. If salt isn't a health concern for you, go for it.

jab91864 07-22-2009 07:57 PM

I refuse to give up salt. At this stage I figure I have given up enough and as someone else pointed out no issue with high blood pressure and a lil water weight gain isn't my problem, fat is...lol.

Pita09 07-22-2009 08:07 PM

I love salt and cook with it a lot. I did buy some Mrs. Dash and some sort of salt recently that is a 1/3 less sodium, but I use my sea salt of plenty of things. I do retain water gain if I eat stir-fry, so I've learned not to do that a couple of days before weigh-in. I also eat very little processed food and I have perfect blood pressure.

thinpossible 07-23-2009 07:55 AM

I love salt, especially garlic salt. I season all our meat with garlic salt. We mostly eat turkey, and it needs more seasoning that other meats, IMO. I do try to stay away from processed foods (even though I love those gourmet deli soups). I also make a stir fry every couple of weeks and I don't even bother to count the sodium in those, soy sauce is through the roof, as you know. I really don't care about water weight, but I don't like feeling bloated. HA! Bloated, I have 80+ pounds to lose, I'm plenty bloated :lol: but you know what I mean

kaplods 07-23-2009 09:23 AM

I was raised in a household that only used salt at the table in the summer with sweet corn or some raw vegetables from the garden. My mother omitted salt from most recipes or quartered it.

Even though I have high blood pressure, salt isn't a concern for me, because my blood sodium levels are always very low, sometimes too low (not many people with hbp are encouraged to use salt by their doctor).

The only high sodium foods I enjoy are some potato chips (most are too salty, besides I really don't eat them anymore) and oriental food. Water retention is a problem, but only for about 48 hours if I drink extra water, so I don't worry about it.

WhitePicketFences 07-23-2009 11:47 AM

The only foods I salt are my hard-boiled eggs and fresh, juicy tomatoes. Oh, and popcorn -- but I rarely have popcorn.

I do eat high sodium, packaged foods occasionally. For most of this time I just haven't really worried about when I eat them; I've just made sure I don't eat them more than about twice a week.

Lately, though, I've found myself not having the sodiumesque things on the weekends before my weigh-in. Which is just vanity as it isn't 'real' weight, but it is annoying to see no big change on Monday morning W-I, and then the drop on Tuesday! Hate to write down a lame, official number!

But yeah, to get around to what you're saying, sometimes it is Sunday and I want what I want, sodium content be dammed! :-)

time2lose 07-23-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

I like salt, I don't have high blood pressure, and I don't care about water weight. Fat is the problem, not water weight.
Another echo of Jay - I am still relearning how to cook and have not been willing to give up salt. My bp is fine and always has been so I don't worry about salt.

My blood pressure has actually always been pretty low. I get a chuckle when a nurse takes my bp twice because they just can't believe that someone my size has good bp. The machine must be broken. :)

sandygomez6557 07-23-2009 08:12 PM

Of course!! Salt just makes everything taste better! I have had a hard time staying away from it!

WildThings 07-23-2009 08:37 PM

Blood pressure is not an issue with me either...good thing because I love my salt. I have cut back on some things, eggs, beans...cut back mind you, not cut out. The little bit of bloating from salt is nothing compared to the fat that was squeezing my organs.