3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Am I doing this right? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/176762-am-i-doing-right.html)

ubergirl 07-15-2009 03:37 PM

Am I doing this right?

Hi everybody!

I'm four days shy of my first month of changing my exercise and eating habits, but I'm feeling all kinds of doubts.

I'm counting calories on fitday and either walking on a treadmill or lap swimming about five days a week.

I'm eating between 12 and 1400 calories according to fitday. I don't weigh and measure everything, but I've weighed or measured some stuff to give me an idea about how big my servings are.

So far I've lost about 12 pounds, if I use my highest fully-clothed weight as the starting weight.

I really haven't noticed much change-- my clothes fit the same, nobody has noticed anything different.... I feel like it's so slow and I'm working so hard but the scale just bobs around the same spot for a week at a time, sometimes going up or down 3 pounds through the course of a day.

Am I on track?

L R K 07-15-2009 03:41 PM

12lbs in less then one month is amazing!

TJFitnessDiva 07-15-2009 03:47 PM

12 lbs in one month is awesome!

I didn't really have people noticing until I lost between 40-50lbs. I went down a size I think after the first 25lbs or so were gone. That 25lb mark seems my magic number with sizes ;)

You will not see a direct downward fall of the scale esp in a single day....you are eating and drinking during the day so you have that and whatever else making you fluctuate. My favorite thing I have read here in the beginning of my journey was the quote "Weightloss is not linear" and that is certainly true :) So no worries...keep doing what you are doing!

jelder227 07-15-2009 03:58 PM

Agree - 12 lbs in a month rocks! Be warned, it will possibly slow down. Don't worry if it does - 6-8 pounds a month doesn't sound like month, but it adds up fast. And nice steady weight loss tends to STAY off - which is what we all want. If you're careful, you'll be creating habits that will stay with you, so even your "off plan" moments won't be devastating.

You may need to actually increase your calories at some point - I'm the same height you are and am around the 1400 - 1500 calorie mark. I wasn't moving at all at 1200 - 1300.

As for the clothes not changing, no one noticing. . . I feel for you. Again - the whole height thing. 12 pounds on 5'8" just doesn't have the same impact as on the girls who are 5'2" or 5'4". Possibly some of your clothes were a bit tight before and now they're fitting? Stick with it though - People really starting noticing on me at about the 20 lbs lost mark. It's different for everyone.

Good luck, and good job!

TJFitnessDiva 07-15-2009 04:05 PM

OH yeah I didn't even read the amount you were eating...you might want to try bumping it up a little and see if you still lose. I'm eating around 1550 now....just so you can compare. No need to feel deprived if you don't have to!

matt_H 07-15-2009 04:25 PM

Yes, you are on the right track! 12 pounds in 1 month is awesome! 3 pounds a week is kicking butt!

Pita09 07-15-2009 04:41 PM

Tomorrow is my one month since starting over to lose my weight. I've lost a little over 8lbs according to my "official" weekly weigh-ins. I think you are doing great with calorie counting and exercise. Keep it up!

Arctic Mama 07-15-2009 05:19 PM

That is crazy good weightloss! I agree, though, that adding in a hundred more calories or so could help your weight loss and energy levels.

Lachelle 07-15-2009 06:26 PM

I agree with bumping your calories up. I started at about your same height and weight. The first couple months of my weight loss, I was eating about 1300 calories a day. In june, I totally plateaued, and it wasn't until some folks here told me to bump my calories up to 1700-1800 that I started losing again.

I'm not telling you to jump up to 1800 now. I do a lot of physical activity at my job, and our calorie needs may be different. Just something to be aware of. :)

Judy Lynn 07-15-2009 07:56 PM

I think you are doing great! :hug:

Numina 07-15-2009 08:38 PM

Great job, Ubergirl!

What you are doing seems to really be working!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Beck 07-15-2009 08:48 PM

Keep up the great work! A 12lb loss is 12lbs less that you are hauling around. Maybe taking measurements will help you see a change or taking pictures for every 10-15lbs lost. I'm always amazed when I see pregnancy pictures week by week- you don't see much of a difference comparing just two photos, but seen all together the difference is profound.

Also, just because others haven't commented it doesn't mean they aren't able to notice. Perhaps they have, they just haven't voiced it aloud.

cfmama 07-15-2009 09:07 PM

Sounds good to me! Rock on!

shea5 07-15-2009 09:34 PM

Most people won't comment on weight loss unless they are 100% sure; so it will start soon. 12 lbs is great, and it sounds like you've got some good habits working there.

samhainschimera 07-15-2009 09:45 PM

k