How much more rabbit food does a girl have to eat?

• I'm still working to get more fruits and veggies into my diet. I wish I liked them better. What do you think? Is this enough produce in my diet? Here's a typical day

Breakfast: smoothie with yogurt, protein powder and 2c fruit. I distribute this among the kids and me, so I probably get about half a cup of fruit.

Lunch: humongo salad with about 2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of lettuce/spinach

Snack: some kind of fruit if I can choke it down. Sometimes not. Possibly another smoothie.

Dinner: sometimes I'm good and have 2c of veggies. Usually more like 1c.
  • Remember, a half a cup of fruit or veggies is usually a serving. So you sound like you are getting a good amount....
  • It sounds good and I'd say absolutely excellent if you didn't eat any fruit/vegetables prior.

Why are you choking down fruit? You don't like fruit? Is there any fruit you do like?

ETA - Berries - Raspberries? Strawberries? Melon - Honeydew? Cantalope?

I'm not a huge cooked apple fan but I know a lot of people seem to like apples microwaves and sprinkled with cinnamon and maybe even something like splenda.
  • Thin,
    I hate to hear that you have not been able to find fruits and vegetables that you like. I really don't want to judge if you are getting enough but IMHO opinion, 5 servings of something you don't like is enough.

I have had to work on liking vegetables but have been able to find several that I like. Fruit is not a problem because since I quit processed sugar, fruit is a real treat.

Keep trying and, hopefully, you will grow to like them.
  • Thumbs up! Great job on the veggies! WTG! I am assuming this is just your allotment of produce and not your full day of nutrition.
  • Yah you are doing awesome on the fruits and veg and getting more than enough. I love big (like 3-4 cup) salads because of how many servings of veg it gives me! lol!
  • Maybe it's the way you prep the veggies?

I eat all sorts of fruit. Strawberries, oranges, apples, pears, blueberries, etc. What fruits have you been eating? (Just curious).

Ohh I also like cantelope YUMMY!
  • That does seem like a lot.

My plan calls for 2 servings of fruit--at 60 calories a serving and 4 servings of veggies at 25 calories a serving. That's based on a 1600 calories/day diet.

Perhaps you can start experimenting with herbs for your fruits and veggies? A tomato without basil tastes too plain to me (unless it's from someone's garden).
  • Quote: Thumbs up! Great job on the veggies! WTG! I am assuming this is just your allotment of produce and not your full day of nutrition.
    yes, it's just the fruits and veggies I eat, not everything. I'm just more of a protein girl, myself.

Quote: Maybe it's the way you prep the veggies?

I eat all sorts of fruit. Strawberries, oranges, apples, pears, blueberries, etc. What fruits have you been eating? (Just curious).

Ohh I also like cantelope YUMMY!
    I eat cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries (yuck), nectarines (I like these), cherries (like these ok too), apples, strawberries, mangos (but only in a shake, it's the only way I can eat them.)

For veggies I eat broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, peppers (like these), onions (like these), peas (like these), asparagus, spinach. I really like corn and potatoes, but IMO they're too starchy to really count as a vegetable, so I don't eat them too often.

It's not that I HATE fruits and veggies, it's just that I don't really LIKE most of them. I know I need to eat them, though, so I'll keep trying to acquire a taste. Putting cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs in my salad makes it palatable. Glad to know you think I'm getting enough.
  • I've had to acquire a taste for fruits and veggies as well and find that if I pair it with things it really helps with the taste.

For instance, I love fruit mixed with cottage cheese. Try sprinkling a little black pepper or cinnamon depending on the fruit. Also, a light sprinkling of sliced almonds make any thing taste yummy in my opinion.

Tonight for dinner I made a fruit and nut salad and poured it over low-fat vanilla yogurt. So, good!!

I like to roast veggies. A little olive oil spray, spices, and a super hot oven for a about 20 to 40 minutes and everything taste great. I eat roasted veggies in all sorts of ways, but my favorite is to top it over some brown rice.

I also steam veggies like broccoli and drizzle a tiny amount of blue cheese dressing over it.

Because fruits and vegetables are so good for us and so low in calories we have to find ways to love them.
  • Sounds like you are getting plenty to me. I still only eat about 2 cups of veggies and about 2 cups of fruit and I think I'm REALLY REALLY trying. So by my standards you are doing great!!!
  • you've got a great amount -- but why waste your time eating it in a way that you dont enjoy? try some different recipes and mix up the way you're cooking it if they arent appealing. it takes time but it's doable!
  • Looks like you are getting a fair amount of veggies, so congrats to that!

pita - I love roasted veggies too! We sometimes make tons of extra's and add some feta cheese and it makes for a yummy salad!

-Aimee