3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My scale and I... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/175870-my-scale-i.html)

Michelle1210 07-04-2009 05:07 PM

I weigh every morning, after my morning elimination, I have a graph that I chart, daily, I can drink 2 cups of coffee and the scale be up 2 lbs., so now its only once or twice just to check the numbers and if they are the same then I record. then no more scale till the next morning.

CLCSC145 07-04-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaraLee (Post 2812845)
For those daily weighers out there: Do you notice an actual predictable pattern that has emerged?
Cause if so, I'm rethinking about the daily weighing then, cause I think stepping on during a "up" day for the offical weigh in would bum me and really make it hard to stay motivated.

It's not exact by any means, but I definitely have a pattern. I'll drop on one or two days, creep up, stabilize back down and stay there for several days, then another drop for a few days, then up, back down, stay there for a while, etc... The overall trend is down, but there really is a discernible pattern. And my "up" days aren't normally more than a pound, but my down days can be a few pounds. It's worth it to me to catch a glimpse of those down days!

Couch 07-05-2009 07:42 AM

I weigh daily. I am deal with a lot of data in my profession, so I am don't generally have a problem with the daily fluctuations. I MUCH prefer knowing what's happening daily than waiting all week just to be disappointed. WW drove me insane - I would try all week, lose only 0.1kg because I had a second cup of coffee for morning tea, then be annoyed with myself for the whole of the next week before finding out whether it was a fluctuation or whether I was doing something wrong.

General patterns: I stall a few days before TOM, and a few days into it, and then I can lose a kilo in a day. I can gain a couple of kgs the morning after a salty dinner, which can take about four days to start shifting and then it'll whoosh off. Too much alcohol causes me to stall for almost a week before it comes off. And if I don't drink enough water I stall too, and that can take a couple of days to come off. Not enough fibre does the same thing. But sometimes, it just fluctuates for no apparent reason.

Pooh63 07-05-2009 03:21 PM

I agree with C.C. I weigh every morning after bathroom trip. Some mornings I may be down 3 lbs. and it is definitely worth it to see those numbers because my WW weigh in is on Thursday night, so it's always higher. But I don't get bummed out anymore (most of the time) when the numbers are up, because I've seen how much my body flunctuates from day to day and based on what I'm eating, i.e, salt, fiber, etc. A curious thing I have discovered is that 30-45 minutes later in the morning, I'm down even more than that 1st weight. That's before I eat or drink anything.Nothing in, nothing out, so where did it go?? Bodies can be really strange.
Anyway, it seems to be taking me forever to lose this time, but I'm hanging in & sticking to my plan because the alternative is not acceptable. The scale eventually goes down (that downward trend) and someday I'll get to where I want to be. In the meantime, I'll learn a lot on the journey!

Rhonda
(Pooh)

babyfattimes3 07-05-2009 03:28 PM

I used to do that too. It drove me crazy I was obsessed with it. Then one day I was so sick of it cuz the ups and downs and I felt it should be going down faster I threw it out the door and broke it! My hubby come home from work and saw it in peices on the deck he was a little shocked, thought I had gone off the deep end lol

Couch 07-06-2009 12:05 AM

Just popping back in to give today as an example. I ate ok yesterday, about 1200 cal (low), but didn't have enough water or fibre, then had a fairly salty dinner. This morning, I'm up 0.7kg (1.5lb).

Why yes, I am currently drinking massive amounts of water, why do you ask?:)

momof5k 07-06-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooh63 (Post 2813676)
I agree with C.C. I weigh every morning after bathroom trip. But I don't get bummed out anymore (most of the time) when the numbers are up, because I've seen how much my body flunctuates from day to day and based on what I'm eating, i.e, salt, fiber, etc. A curious thing I have discovered is that 30-45 minutes later in the morning, I'm down even more than that 1st weight. That's before I eat or drink anything.Nothing in, nothing out, so where did it go?? Bodies can be really strange.
Rhonda
(Pooh)

I am the same way! I weigh myself first thing in the morning after a potty break and sort of use this as a "baseline" and then (sadly) I weigh myself pretty much every other time I use the bathroom and notice what happens throughout the day.
It may seem sort of obsessive but seeing those ups and downs throughout a day helps me not become totally freaked out when I see higher numbers than I would like at my "official weigh in" because I know in a few hours, it could be different.

As long as my general baseline is moving down, I am pleased :)

Samantha100 07-06-2009 07:00 AM

Stepping on the scale is only a snapshot piece of data. Remember, your weight is TREND DATA and looking at only the snapshot doesn't tell the story. Try keeping a weight log and look at the "trend" of your data. Is your weight changing in the right direction?

TJFitnessDiva 07-06-2009 07:26 AM

I get on the scale every morning....if I record daily you'll see fluctuations but an overall downward trend. I no longer really write it down now but it did help open my eyes. I can see why some people can't do it but I'm a science geek. Our bodies are such awesome machines! So many things factor in with that number you see on the scale and not just fat.....you have to take it as another person's advice. ;) Nod your head, think about it and move on!

scarletmeshell 07-06-2009 11:18 AM

I have a scale at home that doesn't work well. One morning I had a 50lbs gain, I knew this was wrong but still the number almost made me faint. Then I got off, and back on again, I only weighed 8lbs! Now I just get on it every day, and sometimes more when I'm home just for the fun of it, to see what it comes up with next. I work in a Dr. office so we have a good scale there. I dffinately have a partern and loose over the weekend. This is why my official day to weigh in is Sunday.