Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #16  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I also can't have certain foods in the house.Most people trying to lose weight are the same way.Maybe it will be different at another time . But ,now defiently NOT!Of course it's success. Don't feel too bad,at what she said,I agree it was the GREEN EYED MONSTER!

Last edited by Tracy; 06-30-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #17  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
It would be a bit like encouraging your husband to spend time with and sleep (just sleep) with naked women to prove he has the self-control not to have sex with them.
We could just ask the governor of my state, South Carolina!

I don't have much to add because it has all been said. She is jealous. You are successful. Don't let her take your accomplishment away!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I have a sister who is skinny, has been skinny her entire life. At 5'2", I am pretty sure her highest weight ever was 120lbs, she is generally between 110-115lbs and wears a size 2. She cannot keep ice cream in the house-period. I don't know how she does it, but I have seen her clean a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting. Her and her boyfriend would both buy a kind they want, within two days, both would be gone, her boyfriend would be wondering where his ice cream went because he had never opened it. I wouldn't think she was destine to be overweight later in life, she just knows that to maintain her weight, ice cream cannot be in the house. She has successfully maintained a steady, healthy weight her entire life...I consider that successful weight management.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #19  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Don't doubt your success for a minute. Definitely some sour grapes on her part!

There is nothing wrong with knowing what works for you and following it all the way to your goal.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

She is not right. I can have a piece of pie at a restaurant but I can't have a whole pie in the house, same with ice cream, it's just common sense for me, I know what made me overweight in the first place. Your friend is jealous.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-01-2009 at 10:50 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #21  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

Time2Lose,
Very good comparison!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

She's an idiot. How dare she say something like that to you. She's an idiot.

I am the first to admit I still have food "issues". And I always will. I've no doubt. I am a compulsive over eater. It is my condition. One that can't necessarily be cured, but it can be treated, managed and kept firmly in check with careful planning, monitoring, strategies and coping mechanisms. With these tools I can go on to lead a perfectly normal and long life.

If I waited around to solve my "issues", I'd be like your "friend" - 15 lbs heavier then where I was when I started on this journey. Or worse.

And by the way, I DO eat ice cream and other indulgences from time to time - but outside of my home, in a controlled setting. Because I have issues. So be it.

I'm not sure why people think nothing of closely monitoring and setting guide lines and restrictions for other aspects of their lives that matter and are important (their money, their jobs, their children ), but don't think it's necessary to do so with their food intake which directly relates to their health - probably thee most important thing of all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #23  

Height: 5'11"

You are down 85 pounds and she is up 15. It's pretty plain to me who has the more successful strategy! Maybe she is having trouble losing because of all the sour grapes in her diet?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Why in the world would you torture yourself by keeping something in the house that you have a problem with. I own a bakery and sweets are my weakness. It feels like pure torture sometimes, to not dive in to the frosting bucket and eat myself into oblivion! I have considered finding a different line of work, but I've worked hard to build my business and it is successful. I've managed to lose the weight anyway, but it has been so much harder with the constant temptation. You have worked hard to lose the weight and don't let anyone down-play that!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #25  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

A wise and victorious person will evaluate her circumstance, formulate a plan of attack and follow through with it. You are wise and victorious as evidenced by the fact that you've lost 82 pounds so far. You are also wise enough to figure out how to keep the weight off forever. Re-gaining the weight is not inevitable. Hopefully, your friend will figure this out for herself, too.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like she wanted to sabotage you, but you seem to know full well what works for you.

I am sorry she made you doubt yourself.
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #27  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Poor girl. I don't know if it is sour grapes so much as it is this notion that you must have utmost "self-control" and must always do things by sheer will power--from this perspective manipulating your environment can look like "cheating."

It's a mistaken and self defeating way to think, of course. But it is a point of view. I think it's also a result of being in denial about the fact that you have limitations. Perhaps she thinks it's unacceptable somehow to admit that there's something she can't handle. I don't know--just guessing here.

In the end, though YOU really are the successful one, and unfortunately, (but inevitably, poor woman) she is not.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-30-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #28  

Height: 4'11"

Honey, I'll take -85 lbs of failure over +15 lbs of success any day. Yeah, gimme some of that kind of failure, please!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #29  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I agree with everyone else.

PLUS I think you did exercise self control, by making the decision to not bring stuff home. Its not always easy to pass things up you want while food shopping, so by doing so you've just set yourself up for success.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #30  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

thanks for all the comments - i chatted with my friend Ingrid who's weighed about 100 lbs. since she was 14 lol, and she said she never keeps cereal in the house because she'd eat the whole box - strangely, that made me feel better! Sigh, it won't derail me, that's not my makeup, but it did make me pause and think a bit -- i do think the changes i've made are do-able for life, i don't feel anxious or deprived at all because of it (lol it took me over a year & a half to lose 80 lbs. so i'm not exactly going gung ho). Thanks for all the opinions, cool to see where everyone's at

PS my hubby kind of LOVED the idea of testing him by making him sleep with naked hot chicks hahah j/k grrrrrr
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote