Boca Ground Burger?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been having a craving for taco salad and am thinking about trying the Boca Ground Burger crumbles. If anyone has tried them, do they really taste like ground beef?

Thanks!
  • I don't think they taste like ground beef, but they're good. They taste like soy to me. Though once you put in the taco seasoning, you might not notice the difference. The consistency is similar.

I'm using texturized vegetable protein for my taco salads these days and that's a different texture than ground meat for sure. I like it, though.
  • Kaplods has posted about texturized vegetable protein too. I had never even heard of it before 3 Fat Chicks. I need to try it. Where do you buy it?
  • Boca burgers are pretty good, don't taste exactly like a hamburger but are good on there own.
  • I didn't really like the Boca frozen "crumbles". I love making tacos with extra lean ground turkey! Delish!
  • I have used it to make chilli and it was very good, I think with the taco seasoning it would be good, however the ground turkey is a good idea to. I get it in the freezer section at my regular grocery.
  • I mix lean turkey with a soy chorizo package from trader joes. It stretches the meal while providing 2 different sources of protein. And the flavor is so great, I generally don't add much more seasoning, just cans of corn, and beans and roasted tomatoes. mmm.
  • I find the Boca crumbles... odd. I'm a big texture freak. I've found tempeh makes excellent chili - I assume it would work well for tacos too.
  • I tried them once, many years ago and hated them. They may have changed the formula since then and I think veggie options have gotten better over the years but no way I'm going to try them again.
  • We like them. I sometimes mix half crumbles and half tofu & add taco seasoning. I also like them mixed with tempeh. It has a good chewiness to it.

I don't recommend the texturized protein stuff that comes dry & then you reconstitute it. It's not bad in veggie burgers, but I think it's gross in just about anything else.
  • Quote: Kaplods has posted about texturized vegetable protein too. I had never even heard of it before 3 Fat Chicks. I need to try it. Where do you buy it?
    If you look in the baking aisle at your grocery store for the Bob's Red Mill display, he has a TVP that's reasonably priced. At my Kroger the Bob's Red Mill is in the natural foods section, but I used to find it in the baking aisle at Publix. Or, if you have a decent whole foods grocery, you'll find it in the bulk bins with the flours etc.

Not everyone likes the texture, but I find it palatable. My sister says it makes her gassy, but I haven't had that issue with it either. My favorite thing about it is that it's fairly low carb for a vegetable-based protein, which is hard to come by for the carb-sensitive like myself.
  • never tried it but I do use Morning Star Farms Crumbles for ground beef substitite and I really like that. Its meatless, full of protein and is pretty good!
  • I use the MorningStar Farms - neither DH nor I are big Boca fans. He can't tell the difference between those and beef other than the lack of grease once seasoning is added.
  • I am a big fan of ground turkey! My family has no clue!!
  • I like the Morningstar crumbles just fine. I've had the Bocca patties but not the crumbles. I just bought a bag of TVP but haven't tried it yet.

I think with the taco seasoning you won't notice much difference and hope you enjoy !!!