Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #16  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I stopped by The Pig on my way home to get the Boca crumbles but they did not have them. They had Morningstar crumbles so that is what I tried. I have to say that I did not care for them. I think I will just use an ounce of my normal taco meat in taco salad. I think that I had rather reduce the calories that way.

I am glad that I tried the Morningstar crumbles. One thing that I have learned is that I have to try new things.

Thank you for all the input!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #17  

Height: 5'6"

When I make DH taco meat, I put the crumbles and spices in the pan with about a cup or so of water, then let it all simmer down. I tried just warming them with spices and he wouldn't eat it, said it had a terrible texture and the flavor was gross. Not sure how you did it tonight, but if you have any left I would experiment some, you may find a way that you enjoy.

When I used to cook meat, I made him taco meat with ground turkey breast and he loved that too. It's a decent way to cut the fat and calories if you don't like mock meat.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband also doesn't like the texture of ground beef substitutes, no matter how well seasoned. However, he does like my tvp/meat blends.

I get tvp from bulk bins, in health food stores and some grocery stores. It comes in several forms, but I buy the granules (they look much like grape nuts cereal or light tan aquarium gravel).

I brown it with ground meat(s), such as chorizo, sausage, or ground beef, pork, chicken. The fattier the meat I brown it with, the more tvp I use, in order to reduce the fat per portion (because tvp is virtually fat-free).

Inexpensive ground beef, ground pork, chorizo and other sausages have a lot of flavor, but the fat content is often far too high to be diet-friendly. However, by mixing it with the tvp, I can get the flavor and cost savings of higher fat choices, and the lower fat content of leaner ground meats.

The meat/tvp is a good compromise for us. While I like tvp ok (either reconsituted or in Boca products), I also prefer the taste and texture of "real meat" (because of the real meat in it). And saving money per serving, is a nice perk also.

I have a basic recipe on my blog

http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/kaplods/

It's not so much a recipe as a flexipe, because if you've ever browned and seasoned ground beef - you just do what you normally do, but ad the dry tvp and equal amounts by value of water to reconstitute. You can add the water to the tvp before, after, or during browning with the ground beef (or ground whatever).

I made a huge batch a week or two ago. I used 1 lb of ground pork, 1 lbs of ground beef, and about 1 lb of dry tvp (the equivalent of 4 lbs of ground beef) and seasoned with onion, bell pepper, celery, and diced carrot. Then I freeze, stirring every half hour or so so that it freezes in crumbles (or I freeze it in recipe sized containers).

Because tvp doesn't have a lot of flavor, but absorbs flavor very well, the more tvp you use, the more seasonings you will also use.

When I first started making tvp, I'd use 1/2 of a cup of dry tvp to 1 lb of ground beef. (the equivalent of 2 parts meat to 1 part tvp), and every time I made it I would use more and more tvp.

1 lb of meat and 1 cup of tvp is my "standby" recipe, but this last mega-batch turned out so well, I may make it my new standard.

The reason I make such a mega-batch, is because it doesn't take much more time to make, and then I can get multiple super-quick meals. In the long-run it saves me a lot of time in the kitchen.

I bought a few really cheap ground beef cookbooks at Goodwill and on amazon.com, and so many of the recipes start with ground beef.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #19  

I love the Morning Star Farms crumbles but haven't tried the Boca. I use them in chili, sloppy joes, spagetti sauce, veggie lasagna, tacos, anything I'd use ground beef for. I find that the texture stays better if you add the crumbles at the end of cooking whatever dish, like simmer all your ingredients for chili the usual time, and add the crumbles a few minutes before serving. It's still good either way, just has a better texture that way.

Pooh
Pooh63 is offline   Reply With Quote