Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 226/158.2/137

Height: 5'6

I agree it's commitment. At the end of the day I know I'm not always going to eat right, I know I'm not always going to make the best choices, but I also know the following day I will and I will be committed to learn from my mistakes and keep on pushing.

The only other way I've gotten through my journey so far is to just take it five pounds at a time.

Good luck! You can do it!

Last edited by nineoceansaway; 06-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
nineoceansaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 264 / 150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and helpful suggestions. Hopefully this time I can stay committed to the lifestyle changes I need to make.

I've struggled all my life with my weight (since the age of 9 or so) and I realize that I eat for the wrong reasons - boredom, stress, depression. Why is it that you continue to eat the wrong things fully aware that they are harmful to your health? I know all the right things I should be doing but some days it seems like I am sabotaging myself on purpose. It also doesn't help that my father whom I live with isn't on board with a healthy lifestyle. He gets touchy when I try to cook healthy and continues to bring crap into the house. It's really hard sometimes to resist the sweets when they are right there in front of my face.

Anyway, I didn't do great for breakfast (two pieces of cheese on toast) but I did do a 35 minute walk and burned 300 calories. Hopefully I can behave the rest of the day. Trying to decide now what to do for dinner.

Thanks again everyone. Glad to have found this site.
Stormkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #18  

P.S.

When can I add a ticker to my postings?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #19  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Welcome StormKitty! It takes 20 days and 20 posts to get a weight loss ticker.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

You get the ticker option in your User CP after you've got 20 posts on the board. It's worth it too. I loves my ticker.

You might want to check in on the "Chicks in Control" section of the board... it's for people with binging issues, who "self sabotage". I know what you mean... even now, some days I leave the house fully intending to go buy healthy groceries... and an extra cheese large pizza later, I'm wondering what the heck just happened. What helps me is keeping close attention to how many calories I have left each day. When cravings hit, I hit up the restaurant websites for their nutritional info. Then I try to juggle the food into my diet plan. Did that today... figured out I could have four slices of pizza and stay on goal. But that was enough to turn me off the idea... just four pieces, all day?! No way would that fill me up.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #21  

Thanks!!! Will be posting every day then.....LOL

BTW, does your scale drive you crazy? I have a digital one (Sunbeam) and this morning it displayed 262.8. Just now, after a workout and a shower it was 258.8. Drives me nuts. I do take fluid pills but is it possible to retain THAT much?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I would caution against weighing multiple times a day if the fluctuations bug you and make it hard to stay on plan. Weight just varies.

I used to weigh 5+ times a day and my emotions were a roller coaster tied to the scale. If the weight was down, I was pumped/committed, if the weight was up, I was dejected, felt like a loser and thought "why bother."

What worked for me was weighing once a week and tracking my weight in an Excel spreadsheet. Even if the weight seemed to be not moving, I could still see a downward trend in the loss.

Some people like the variations, they think the human body is interesting and they like being able to see what food does (eat Chinese food the night before, weight jumps up) etc. I had a really hard time with it, so I elected to get off the roller coaster - but I don't think there is a definite right/wrong answer, it's what works for you and only you that matters.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #23  
addicted.

S/C/G: 270/270/150

thank you for this thread. I'm slacking in the motivation dept lately too. It's nice to read all these great tips.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 280-->150

I traded out my digital scale for an analog for exactly that reason... it refused to even show me the same number twice in a row.

Hopefully you'll get used to crazy weightswings with time. I swear, sometimes I weigh before going to bed, and weigh again in the morning in exactly the same clothes, without eating or drinking anything, and I weigh more. Okay, that's not physically possible. But still, it happens. How? I dunno. Weight's crazy.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote