I've been a cooking fiend!

• I am following the calorie counter method of weight loss, tracking on fitday.com. So far I really really like this-- I even enjoy journaling (LOL now that is saying something, coming from a lifetime WW menber). It really helps me to see in black and white what food groups are coming up at what time of day (i.e. carbs, protein, etc) and how I can adjust things. whomever suggesting upping my proteins was right on-- I have done that, and will have a protein snack in the evening (lately it's been an apple & cheese) and I'm very satisfied.

I must say-- even though I'm not "into" cooking that much, I will say I had an awesome dinner tonight (LOL made by ME!)

marinated boneless pork chops on the george foreman grill
    whole wheat couscous
    asparagus (total yum!! it was $1.99 at the grocery today, OMG!)
    and spinach salad with strawberries, mandarin oranges, a few sunflower seeds, reduced fat feta and a piece of red onion. with poppy seed dressing.

Seriously, even my 10 year old daughter loved it!

I also whipped up a batch of hummus (for any of you who love it but buy it-- it is soo easy to make!!), and a "chocolate raspberry tartlet" from the biggest loser cookbook -- (4 servings) - take 1/2 c. of grapenuts with 2T + 2t allfruit raspberry (or orange marmalde) -- whirl that together for a crust, and then make up a box of SF/FF instant chocolate pudding!~

ahhh.

Yay me! I'm really proud of myself.
  • sounds good!! Can you share how you made the hummus?
  • I am interested in hearing the recipe too.

I make my own on a regular basis with smashed chickpeas and spices--garlic and sundried tomatoes being my favorite. I do not add tahini because of the calorie content.
  • oohhh...chickpeas garlic and sundried tomatoes sounds way good! I'll have to try that tomorrow. Do you just eat it with veggies or some sort of cracker?
  • 1/3 c. tahini
    1 can of garbanzos
    1/4 c. olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic (more or less, depending on what you like)
    juice of one lemon (to taste)
    salt ~ to taste

throw it all in the food processor and whiz it around! If you use canned garbanzos you can reserve the liquid and add a little to your desired consistency.

Some people add spices like parsley or cumin, but I don't usually. You can add roasted peppers too if you'd like.
  • also - the recipe site I really like is recipezaar.com, and I know they have a recipe for hummus on there which is very healthy -- you use yogurt. I did make it once and liked it-- but I guess I'm a purist.
  • Here's another great recipe for hummus, with a bit of a twist...
    and less fat, which helps me out alot.

Chick Pea and Roasted Pepper Dip
    Servings: 4 • Time: 5 minutes • Calories: 201 • Points: 4 ww points

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 medium roasted red pepper, skin and seeds removed
    2 tbsp fresh parsley, leaves only
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt and fresh pepper
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add a little water if it is too thick. Blend until smooth. Serve with fresh vegetables like cucumbers, peppers, celery, or whatever you desire.

Kira
  • Are chickpeas and garbanzos the same thing?
  • Lachelle-Yes they are
  • Quote: 1/3 c. tahini
    1 can of garbanzos
    1/4 c. olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic (more or less, depending on what you like)
    juice of one lemon (to taste)
    salt ~ to taste

throw it all in the food processor and whiz it around! If you use canned garbanzos you can reserve the liquid and add a little to your desired consistency.

Some people add spices like parsley or cumin, but I don't usually. You can add roasted peppers too if you'd like.

What is the calorie and fat content of this per serving?
  • FYI..on the hummus you can make hummus patties too...after you smash your chickpeas and add your spices just brush with a little egg white and dredge a little ball of it in a small amount of whole wheat flour....place on wax paper and put in freezer about 20 minutes---then, you can grill out or cook on stove...
  • thighs be gone I will send you a PM (as a new member my rights here are limited LOLOL)
  • What is tahini? Can I get it at a regular grocery store?
  • Quote: What is tahini?
    Sesame butter. Like peanut butter, but made with sesame seeds instead of peanuts. To me it tastes like a cross between peanuts and sunflower seeds. It's runnier than peanut butter.

Quote: Can I get it at a regular grocery store?
    Probably/possibly, depending on your area. Check the ethnic foods sections.