Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #16  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

A lot of the times media, the general population and even scientists link correlation to causation. If people who have better teeth and gums are thin, then bad teeth makes you fat. That's a fallacy. But that kind of link happens all the time, and not just in the weightloss world.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

hmmm...no I don't think bad teeth causing weight gain in itself but I did put on weight due to bad teeth. Firstly I was too scared to go to the dentist and comfort ate while I was trying to deal with that. Secondly I'm not a big fan of veg but I do love fruit and some salad but my teeth hurt too much to eat these things. Yes I could of been more careful to make healthy choices and to keep portions to the right size and I could of dealt with comfort eating but now my teeth are fine I can't stop eating fruit and salad and crave them all the time. That said bad teeth contributed to no more than 28lb I'd say of my weight gain, and last Summer when I had a tooth infection after root canal surgery I lost 35lb ands managed to keep 28lb of that off anyway despite being very inactive for a number of months due to a broken ankle and despite still comfort eating.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

My mom is a dental assistant, I think I am gonna let her know about this, she is ALWAYS on a diet and gets her teeth cleaned, polished, whitened, fixed up...you name it, ALL the time.

I go to the dentist every 3 months to get my teeth cleaned and I am still fat.

Hmmmmmm...maybe I should switch dentists.

In all seriousness, poor dental hygenie can lead to a myriad of health problems. In my opinion though, I think DIET can lead to more dental problems then the other way around. I am not saying I don't believe it has nothing to do with weight gain...just I don't know.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's known that poverty adversely affects health, and (in the USA and other wealthy countries, where getting "enough" to eat is easier than getting the healthiest things to eat) is associated with being overweight and is also associated with having poor dental care.

I've now been on "both" sides of the class/healthcare system. I've always had good to great jobs, and therefore great insurance. Then I got sick an had to quit my job (long story)... I'm now on Medicare, and have no dental coverage. We went through nearly a year when we had very little money for food (we made just a few dollars too much per year to qualify for food stamps).

I never imagined I would go without dental care, but there's no room in the budget for it. We're trying to save for a checkup and to deal with a problem tooth. It will probably have to be pulled (it probably could have been saved, if we'd had the money to get it fixed when I first started having problems). I already have one missing tooth next to the bad tooth, so we'll then have to start saving for bridgework to fill the gaps (I'm really lucky that unless I smile really widely, you can't see the current gap).

Medicare doesn't cover dental work - or much preventive care either (it will pay for a mamogram once a year, but not a tetanus shot). If a bad tooth gets so infected that it threatens my life - then Medicare will pay for the dental surgery, but short of that, I'm out of luck. We found a dentist locally who takes low income patients, but we also are just above the cut-off for income (and if that weren't a problem, the waiting list is over two years long).

I'm not arguing that my dental problems are making me fat (I was fat long before I had dental problems), but often there are a lot of factors that influence the big picture. A downward spiraling cascade of health problems can all be inter-related. Even minor health problems can push a person a little closer into poor exercise or eating habits. It's not "an excuse," just a tendency of human behavior. Recognizing and fighting the tendency is often an important step.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #20  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I can't remember which program it was, I think weight watchers, the leader kept telling us to brush our teeth so we wouldn't eat in the evening. Great idea in theory, but I didn't seem to mind eating then brushing my teeth again (!!)

this is a little off topic, but this morning on the news, there was a story about new ad coming out for this huge new fast food sandwich. they're using a young actress from one of the new WB? shows, she's in a very skimpy gold bikini -- on the beach...scarfing down this gigantic sandwich...

ah, advertising...
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #21  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Guys, the rationale for the statement is here:
http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat...loss-tips.html
in particular:

So what is the “magic wand” in this free weight loss tip? Its your tooth brush!

When you brush your teeth after a meal or snack, you send a signal to your body that you are finished eating. Therefore, if you are practicing portion control and are having a hard time, go brush your teeth instead.

In addition to signaling an end to your meal, brushing your teeth pretty much everything else tastes bad. This will give your body time to register the food it has eaten, helping you feel satiated and full.

So, when you get a sweet tooth or feel like something you know you should not, go brush your teeth.How else can brushing your teeth help you burn fat? By brushing your teeth a little earlier in the night suggests to your body know that you are finished eating for the day, thwarting any last minute, unplanned, snacks, and prepare you for a good nights sleep (and we know how important rest is!)

Nevertheless, the benefits of this weight loss tip does not stop there (it never does, does it?)!

Six minutes of brushing per day (3 times, 2 minutes each time) will burn well over 3500 calories per year – enough calories to loose at least 1 extra pound of fat per year!

Bonus Free Weight Loss Tip: Obviously, you do not want to carry your toothbrush into a restaurant, and those restaurant portions can be BIG! We all know that if it is on our plate, it is more tempting to finish it.

Carry some of those Listerine pocket strips in your pocket when you go out for a meal. You will get the same “everything tastes bad” effect you get from brushing as well as the signal to your brain that you are finished with your meal. Moreover, you do not look ridiculous lugging your toothbrush everywhere.

The rationale has nothing to do with "fat teeth" or societies views of poor dental health and weight. It has nothing to do with your ability to pay for dental care. It is just a simple weight loss tip that may or may not work for you...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell View Post
The announcer says "Did you know that neglecting your teeth can cause other medical problems, including weight gain?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
in particular:

So what is the “magic wand” in this free weight loss tip? Its your tooth brush!

When you brush your teeth after a meal or snack, you send a signal to your body that you are finished eating. Therefore, if you are practicing portion control and are having a hard time, go brush your teeth instead.

In addition to signaling an end to your meal, brushing your teeth pretty much everything else tastes bad. This will give your body time to register the food it has eaten, helping you feel satiated and full.
That might be an additional reason, and I think it's an excellent tip. But it sounds to me like what the OP heard was talking about something else. But hard to say since so little was said in the ad she mentioned.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #23  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

The taste/feel of clean teeth may be the reason for the OP's point. But I've also read many articles that also focus on good dental hygiene for those who are concerned about avoiding or ameliorating problems with heart health and elevated blood sugar. They're finding that ongoing gum disease can make these problems worse due to inflammation and to bacterial infections.

For folks who already brush and floss regularly, it's probably not somethign to worry too much about. But for those like me who don't have horrible dental habits but don't have good ones either, it can be that extra little nudge we need to practice flossing more regularly.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post

The rationale has nothing to do with "fat teeth" or societies views of poor dental health and weight. It has nothing to do with your ability to pay for dental care. It is just a simple weight loss tip that may or may not work for you...

Kira

Actually these are all completely seperate subjects. There has been several research studies linking poor dental care (which goes beyond brushing teeth several times a day as a dieting aid) and gum/dental bacteria/diseases to a variety of health problems, including weight gain (though that weight gain may be more a function of the health problems than the gum disease itself).

Some of the pathways are well understood. For example, the bacteria found in the mouth with gum disease can actually makes its way to the heart or other organs, causing inflammation and damage, just as it inflamed and damaged the gums (now heart and organ damagae/disease is also likely to slow a person down, so even a thin person might gain some weight when this happens, just by becoming less active).

The inflammation process itself has been shown to create or worsen health issues (and possibly lead to weight gain, indirectly as a result).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-09-2009 at 11:27 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote