Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default I want to create a 9391.66 calorie deficit - possible?

I changed this title from 'I need to' to 'I want to'. I don't NEED to, all I need to do is to keep going but I would like to make my 179 for 06/14. To do that I need to create a 9391.66 (but who's being precise? ) calorie deficit or 738.63 per day.

Is that possible?

I average 1450 a day, my BMR to maintain is 2050.

Since Easter I've averaged 2lbs a week.

I started going to the gym 2 weeks ago, twice a week. Because I'm a fat old newbie, I'm only doing 40 mins cardio and 20 mins weights/mat/stretches but it's an hour more than the nothing I previously did.

I had been trying to walk more but that seems to have lapsed a bit.

Meh, I guess I'm just writing it down really but I would love to think there's a way of upping my game for the next 11 days and seeing if I can make it!

I suppose that's the other thing: I was just thinking this morning: this is too easy, shouldn't I be trying harder?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

The thing I found when I started exercising (jogging) I put on so much muscles initially that I was really not losing weight at all - though the inches did come off. So don't be surprised if that starts happening to you.
Good for you for getting it started though. KEEP GOING!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would suggest that you keep on tracking your calories, but that you not use targets like this. Instead, just stay on plan and see where you end up on 6/14.

There is no reason to make this harder than it already is!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #4  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Okay, if you wanna blast that amount of calories 2 hours of high intensity cardio would do it...lol....But my suggestion would just be to keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about it...You look like you are kicking butt anyway!!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Oh OK then, I'll just carry on. I knew it was right.

I loathe every form of exercise with a mighty hatred but I do it because I have to, a bit like dentists or going to the bathroom.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #6  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, if I read you correctly, you've been losing 2 pounds a week. And you want to lose 4 pounds over the next 2 weeks.

Have you hit a slow-down, that you're concerned about making your goal and want to shake things up? Or are you just concerned about keeping moving?

At 2 pounds/week, you're averaging a 1000 calorie deficit each day. So, you're doing well to reach your goal on time.

Just keep in mind the big picture - will you look or feel any different physically if the scale reads 180.1 instead of 179.9 on 6/14? You've made great progress, and deserve to celebrate your accomplishment, no matter what the scale reads on a given day.

(Can you tell I tend to get discouraged if I don't meet an artificial "goal" - I've learned I have to focus on the big picture, rather than fretting about losing 12 pounds instead of 14 in 3 months!) Congrats on how far you've come, and keep moving!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm with Jay. I would just keep doing what you're doing. As you're DOING fabulously. Don't sweat the numbers so much. I never, ever track the amount of calories that I burn, because I find those calculators all totally inaccurate. I eat what I eat and I burn what I burn. I stay on plan - and I lose what I lose. It's not always the same # week to week, even if I duplicate the same exact things week to week.

And a big hearty YES to this one:

Quote:
I loathe every form of exercise with a mighty hatred but I do it because I have to, a bit like dentists or going to the bathroom.
Although, hopefully, eventually you'll learn to like it a bit better then say, a tooth extraction.

Plod. Plod. Plod. You'll get there. You'll get there. You'll get there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to up your game for the next couple of weeks. Walk a bit more, watch your sodium, eat more veggies, etc. I think it's possible for you to lose 4 lbs in 2 weeks if you've been averaging 2lbs a week.

However, I wouldn't focus on the numbers too much. Sometimes the numbers start rattling around in your cranium and can really screw things up in there.

If things are "too easy," great! That means you have successfully assimilated your new way of life, and you'll be able to stick with it long after you've lost the weight. In my book, that's every bit as good as a four lb loss!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
Oh OK then, I'll just carry on. I knew it was right.

ok this made me laugh with coffee in my mouth!! i get hating the dentist, but who hates a good poop??? i love pooping LOL and i LOVE that we talk about poop here!!! LOL

I agree with everyone ~ if you drop too much you'll prolly end up gaining, just do what you're doing and maybe throw something in to shock your system, like a "Dancing with the Stars" type of workout!

OR....I'm just saying.... a good dose of the flu will get you where you want to be!!! Try going to the mall and lick the escalator hand rail

you keep on keepin' on girlie!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Spinning classes or running is probably what I would choose to create that kind of deficit. I liked thin possibles idea of more veggies and water. Sure, you can do it. Just make sure you really want to do what you are doing. Love your routine.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 06-02-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #11  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Ailidh it looks like you should make your goal by June 14th. You are doing an excellent job! Don't know if eating more fiber would fill you up more and help weight loss speed up?
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Up your exercise. You say you are going twice a week... double that - or better yet, triple it! I find the more often I go the more often I want to go! I see people at the gym that are in their 60's and 70's and they go 5 times a week!
Just don't go too low on your calories. Make them nutrient rich!

All the best,
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
this is too easy, shouldn't I be trying harder?
Girlfriend! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! You are doing so well. Enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
i love pooping LOL and i LOVE that we talk about poop here!!! LOL

Try going to the mall and lick the escalator hand rail
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #14  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post

OR....I'm just saying.... a good dose of the flu will get you where you want to be!!! Try going to the mall and lick the escalator hand rail

you keep on keepin' on girlie!!
Having just come off a week-long bout of sinusitis, I can vouch for the sickness cure. All I ate for a couple of days was brown rice porridge and grapefruit juice with seltzer. Not good for the blood sugar (I'm pre-diabetic), but not even cheese tempted me (which tells anyone who knows me how sick I really was!).

I think you're doing wonderfully already. Eating more veg and getting more exercise is something we can all relate to needing to do. We'll be here cheering you on as you get closer to the 14th.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #15  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Trazey you just made me spit water out all over the place laughing!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote