3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Wanting a little---something sweet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/172944-wanting-little-something-sweet.html)

Alana in Canada 05-30-2009 03:43 PM

Wanting a little---something sweet

I've noticed that after lunch and dinner (but not breakfast) I usually want a little something sweet. I've read, too that until the tastebuds have had something sweet, the body does not send the proper satiety signals to the brain. (Or something like that!).

I was wondering
1) should I satisfy the desire or push through it?
and
2) If I do choose to have something, what should it be?

I feel full, actually. A banana or an apple right now would be too much food. (I had a huge homemade veggie/chicken wrap and a diet coke for lunch.)

What do you think?
(I'm off to run errands, I'll check in later. Thanks!--and I just realised that because we are leaving the house, I think I'll indulge it. I have a few strawberries in the fridge. One ought to do it!) I DO NOT want to be out there "shopping" wanting something sweet. Yikes. :dizzy:)

Daimere 05-30-2009 03:46 PM

I found some frozen fruit bars that I use when I'm craving desert. It's made from fruit so it's much better option than ice cream or anything like that.

Trazey34 05-30-2009 03:54 PM

Tootsie Roll minis are about 20 cals and give you a little chocolate fix ~ I'm all over Crystal Light popsicles these days, because even if i lost my mind and ate them all LOL it would still be about 20 cals :D I like it because it's mixed with Jello Lite so it's more a regular popsicle consistency, not just hard ice!

one package Crystal Light drink mix, flavor of choice
one 0.3 oz package Jell-O Sugar Free flavor of choice
2 C boiling water
1-1/2 C cold water

In large mixing bowl, whisk together Crystal Light and Jello crystals. Add boiling water and stir until crystals have dissolved. Add cold water. Mix well. Pour into popsicle trays and freeze.

I'm a big fan of LIME for both, or strawberry jello with strawberry-banana crystal light :D

Daimere 05-30-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trazey34 (Post 2762944)
Tootsie Roll minis are about 20 cals and give you a little chocolate fix ~ I'm all over Crystal Light popsicles these days, because even if i lost my mind and ate them all LOL it would still be about 20 cals :D I like it because it's mixed with Jello Lite so it's more a regular popsicle consistency, not just hard ice!

one package Crystal Light drink mix, flavor of choice
one 0.3 oz package Jell-O Sugar Free flavor of choice
2 C boiling water
1-1/2 C cold water

In large mixing bowl, whisk together Crystal Light and Jello crystals. Add boiling water and stir until crystals have dissolved. Add cold water. Mix well. Pour into popsicle trays and freeze.

I'm a big fan of LIME for both, or strawberry jello with strawberry-banana crystal light :D

That sounds great. I would try it but I'm allergic to crystal light.

JayEll 05-30-2009 06:38 PM

If you are feeling full, and an apple or banana sounds like too much, then probably it's just a habit you've gotten into. I'd say push through it--there's no need to top off a meal with sugar. If you've eaten a good balance of food, then your satiety will catch up.

Jay

CLCSC145 05-30-2009 07:22 PM

I think you'll find that the sugar cravings like that will go away in a few weeks.

I keep a bag of sugar free LifeSavers in the butter toffee flavor around when I want that taste of something sweet and yummy. They really don't taste sugar free (in fact I can't tell them from Werther's that I really love). I keep them in the cupboard because I am one of those people that doesn't know they "want" something until they see it. Out of sight, out of mind - that way I know I've got them when I need one.

Alana in Canada 05-31-2009 12:10 AM

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks.

mel hughes 05-31-2009 12:24 AM

I really like Jello, and when I want a snack I have a sugar free strawberry jello. I think its only 10 calories. And it definitely holds me over until dinner =)

Rosinante 05-31-2009 02:27 AM

I agree with the pushing through, although it took many weeks to get over the sensation of needing something sweet. I am fortunate in that there's no-one else in the house, so I just don't have anything in. One cookie would Never be enough!

When I want a real treat I make up a fruit salad, just the fruit, no juice in a chunky drinking glass; I blitz together some tofu and a bit of soy milk to make a creamy like texture and pour it over the top; I sprinkle on 1 tsp soft brown sugar and put it in the fridge before I eat my main course. When I come back to it the sugar has turned to fudge, and by the time I've eaten down the whole fruit salad I'm so stuffed I don't need anything more.

TraceyElaine 05-31-2009 09:27 AM

I found this gum that I realy like it's strawberry/kiwi ...somethin er other and I just pop one of those in after I eat. Or if I have strawberries in the house (which is alot of the time) I have a big one. Or a sucker in your choice of color is fun. Jello is an awesome low cal desert.

I have a big issue with the sweets also. I love me some dessert so I'm always looking for ways to tame my swet tooth.

Tai 05-31-2009 10:45 AM

I used to experience this as well when I was done with dinner. For me it was just a habit. I agree with all the good advice you've gotten here; especially pushing through.

Sometimes if I really still want something I will have a cup of hot tea and that seems to help. If you do find you really are still hungry a while later and your plan/calories allow for it, try some frozen grapes. They're very good and sweet.

Thighs Be Gone 05-31-2009 10:54 AM

A piece of fruit

brushing your teeth

frozen low cal popscicles

sugar free gelatin with low cal whipped cream