Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #1  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Default Weight training and weight gain

Hello all. I have lost now officially my divorce weight. All of it. I haven't been on here lately because I still have to update my browser but I will soon. Anyway I have lost 80 pounds and even though I plan on losing more I have to tone up my body. I am loose and jiggly in my legs and arms. I have decided that instead of doing so much cardio which has been great! I have going to do half hour of weight lifting starting off twice a week and as I go on then do a circuit workout which is cardio and weights. Actually I think I will do a few more circuit workouts instead of just cardio. My concern is that I am involved in weight loss challenges on here and I think that with me toning and firming the muscle will weigh more and I the scale might not move even though I will be looking great. Does anyone think this will be a concern of mine and does anyone know about how much I should expect to see the scale fluctuate? That wouldn't stop me from hitting the weights because I do need to firm my body but it is good to still see the scale move down.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Good for you!

I really can't answer your question about weight fluctuation and the scales--but I suggest you take your measurements--everywhere!

That way you will have another way to measure your progress--because you will shrink--no matter what the scales say!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Unless you're spending hours at the gym everyday lifting massive amounts of weight, you're not going to gain much muscle in a short amount of time. Even a pound can take a serious weight lifter over a month to achieve. You might see some fluctuations due to water retention after your workouts (your muscles swell during recovery), but if you're lifting enough to make a difference, that's a much better prize than winning a weight loss challenge!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Weights have always been a part of my exersice routine, even heavy (I'm not sedintary I just ate too much!) I have never noticed a slow down in my weight loss because of it but I've never tried without it and won't want to. It's makes cardio easier, your posture better and flab is flab no matter what your size.

I would have to second what Drina said, it's a real myth that weights make you heavier. Most of us here are doing fitness competitions or bodybuilding so it really isn't likely to put on tons of weight. I'd check out the fitness forum, those ladies have a lot of really good info.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #5  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

At least for me when I started weight lifting I stalled for about a week (1-2 lbs of water weight retained in the sore muscles) but then you should consistently start loosing again even with the soreness.

It's totally worth it.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote