3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   In the News today - Mike Tyson's Daughter injured (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/172566-news-today-mike-tysons-daughter-injured.html)

emmalee51 05-26-2009 09:12 AM

In the News today - Mike Tyson's Daughter injured

from exercise equipment at home.

I must say this is a real wake up call for me this AM. I forever leaving my treadmill unfolded, plugged in. I may shut the door, but I KNOW my son can open said door. He has watched me more than once start the treadmill - I have even caught him trying to use it.

So for those of us that have equipment and little ones at home - Please be careful!

chickiegirl 05-26-2009 09:13 AM

I heard just a bit about that last night. Something about finding her neck is some part of a treadmill. How awful!

raec 05-26-2009 10:16 AM

I thought the same thing about my own treadmill and children. I think she became tangled in a cord that was looped under the display. That's what I read online anyway. I know mine has a long cord with magnet as an emergency stop. It's easily long enough to be wrapped around a child's neck.

emmalee51 05-26-2009 10:22 AM

Mine too raec - I usually have it tied onto the handle bar with quite a bit hanging down in a loop - this is what has me bothered the most. An accident like this can happen to anyone!

TJFitnessDiva 05-26-2009 10:45 AM

That is so sad. I hope she pulls through :( I keep my key to the treadmill on in of my drawers in my room...it's too dangerous to keep it attached!

momof5k 05-27-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomanceDiva (Post 2756396)
I keep my key to the treadmill on in of my drawers in my room...it's too dangerous to keep it attached!

I do too but my teenager jammed something into to it so the key is no longer required! GRRR!

CLCSC145 05-27-2009 01:02 AM

Poor little thing passed away tonight.

Rosinante 05-27-2009 02:40 AM

That's beyond sad, what a tragedy for the family.

TraceyElaine 05-27-2009 07:39 AM

OMG I read the story. It's heart breaking and frightening. When I first got my treadmill my son was only 3 (5 now) and I had the safety key in and it plugged in. I also had the back facing the wall. He hopped on and flipped it full blast. He fell against the wall and the belt scraped off skin from his arm and back. It only took a second and I can only imagine if I hadn't been right there. It was so scary. I now have a high spot to hang the key and it is in my basement gym where the children are never allowed to be. I now know how dangerous they can be. Children should not be allowed around them at least unless all the safety features are utalised.

Delphi 05-27-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLCSC145 (Post 2757465)
Poor little thing passed away tonight.

I saw that this morning. What a horrible tragedy! I think the family decided to take her off life support and she passed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

momof5k 05-27-2009 09:17 AM

The confusing thing is it seems (if I am reading it right) that her neck got stuck in some cord coming from the console. It had nothing to do with it being turned on! So the safety key thing really had nothing to do with it...it was a completely freak accident.

SO sad...and SO scary :(

Momto2Ms 05-27-2009 09:26 AM

That is absolutely heartbreaking. :(