Size Question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Bra Size Question, actually.

On average, how many dress sizes have you lost before going down a bra size? A lot? Just a few? Or am I weird?

I have gone down seven dress sizes overall, 32 to 18, and only gone down two bra sizes in the same amount of time. I mean, I was probably wearing the wrong size bra for years when I was larger than a 28, but I started out as a 48DD, am currently a 44DD, and I am fixing to go shopping for some 42DDs since these don't fit correctly anymore, not even in the inner set of hooks.

I'm very happy I haven't lost any cup size, only band ~ but I'm wondering if wearing a 44DD as a size 24/26, and wearing a 44DD as a size 18/20, is normal or not.

Do you go down a bra size when you go down a dress size, two dress sizes, three dress sizes, or something else entirely?
  • Actually, you probably have lost a little in cup size, as a DD is going to be proportionately smaller in a 44 than it is in a 48. But I think I know what you mean! I really think it depends on the person as far as how losing a dress size correlates to going down a bra size.

I haven't lost any thing in regular sizes; I'm still wearing an XL or 1X on top, still haven't lost anything on the bottom except that my pants are a little looser. But I did have to go down a band size on my bra. I went from 38G to 36G. My girls were just kind of hanging sadly in the 38G, but I'm slightly overflowing the 36G. Gahhhhh.

I think the best thing is to get measured, if you have someplace that does that. This way, you know that you're in the correct size. Hopefully. I got measured once years ago and they tried to put me in some whacky size that didn't fit at ALL, but when I go to Nordstrom they always seem to get it right.
  • Yeah, the cup of a 44DD is a lot smaller than the cup in a 48DD. Also, might you have been bigger than DD to start with? A lot of women wear D or DD just because that's what they can find.

The cup size isn't an independent "size." It's totally dependent on the band size.
  • Im not sure- but maybe you could get your bra size measured- your size may have changed more than you realize. Until I got my bra size fitted I didn't realize how wrong the size I was wearing. I was wearing like a 40D when I should have been wearing a 38D. Even now that's getting loose and I've got it at the tighest setting- I'm hoping to get back to a 36 soon
  • go somewhere and get a proper bra fitting by someone who knows what they're doing. high end lingerie stores, good full service department stores or anywhere that carries post-mastectomy bras should have a trained fitter on staff.

it's not that easy to do it properly, and the twinkie girls at victoria's secret know less than my mom.

it'll change your life.

isolde
  • Quote: Yeah, the cup of a 44DD is a lot smaller than the cup in a 48DD. Also, might you have been bigger than DD to start with? A lot of women wear D or DD just because that's what they can find.

The cup size isn't an independent "size." It's totally dependent on the band size.
    This is definitely true. I didn't realize it until I started shrinking and was buying new bras constantly. The cup size does get a lot smaller as the band size goes down.

DC, I too started out at 48DD. And like Julie said, I probably should have been wearing a large size, but anyway, now - I'm a 34 D. Barely. I can fit into some C cups as well. That D cup is a fraction of the size that my 48DD cup size was. No comparison. Not even close.

I don't remember how my dress size and bra size changed in comparison with one another. But I do know there was considerable "boobage" lost in my very last 10 lbs of weight loss. But that's okay. Everything else is much tinier too. So it all works out just fine.
  • My bra size has been very funky compared to my weight loss because I've lost 60 lbs and my body has changed immensely but my bra size has changed very little. When I first started at 250 lbs. size 20 I wore a 38D. I've gone down 3 sizes to a 14 but my bra size is now a 36D. Often the 36's feel a tiny bit large but when I try on a 34 they are all soooo small! I guess I'm in between *sigh*
  • I dont know. I tried on one of my "too little" bras the other day and it fit. The one Im wearing now, the strap goes WAY up on my back and the cups have lots of room in them. So I guess its time to venture to walmart and get a new one, cause my boob sticks out holes that are in the "too little" bra that now fits me again. Heee heee.....
  • Wow, that does make sense that the cup sizes would decrease proportionately. I had a fitting when I got the 44DDs and I'll do another fitting for the (presumably upcoming) 42DDs. I was just more curious about whether other folks lost bra size along with, before, or after losing dress size...
  • Quote: My bra size has been very funky compared to my weight loss because I've lost 60 lbs and my body has changed immensely but my bra size has changed very little. When I first started at 250 lbs. size 20 I wore a 38D. I've gone down 3 sizes to a 14 but my bra size is now a 36D. Often the 36's feel a tiny bit large but when I try on a 34 they are all soooo small! I guess I'm in between *sigh*
    In what way are the 34's too small? If they're too small in the cup but OK around the band, then you probably have lost in the band size but not in the cup. In other words, you might need a 34 DD. On the other hand, when you say the 36's are a tiny bit big, do you mean the cup or the band? If it's the cup, try going down to a 38C.

It really does help to be measured by someone who knows what they're doing. I felt so silly going to Nordstrom for that but the women are all very professional. They do it all day long and they don't make judgemental comments or raise their eyebrows. They also can look at your figure and know which brands/styles will fit you best, which run small or large, etc. Once I got over my discomfort, I found it to be a good experience. And for anyone who is wondering, they measure over your current bra. Some of the ladies want to help you put the prospective bras on, but I kick them out for that. I'm not THAT comfortable with the process!
  • I currently wear a 38H (you can find my post about bras somewhere in the archives when I discovered that I was a 38HH and not a 44DDD).

For my first 60 pounds, my cup size really didn't change.

I highly recommend being measured by someone at a department store that carries some of the higher sizes (like Norstrom or Macy's). The problem with being measured at Lane Bryant is that they will shove you into the size they have available.
  • 32 lbs. ago, I was a 40C. Now I fit comfortably into a 38C. I've lost a pants size as well.
  • Dress sizes -- I've gone from a size 24 to 16. But only last week did I get new bras. I was in 38D and last week I purchased 36C and 36D sizes. All this time I didn't need new bras yet and now just yesterday I was noticing that the cups on a new 36D is a little loose. Not the band, just the cups. Perhaps I should've gotten all 36C.
  • I went from a 44 H to a 42 G. It took me 2 pant sizes and one shirt size.
  • I've shrunk one pants size, and one cup size. No shirt size and no band size. My girls are shrinking! I'm going to be an innie by the time I'm done losing weight. I was only a C to start with, I'm down to a B now.