Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default OT - middle of the night rant...

My boyfriend has been working towards a promotion, and HE GOT IT! I am very proud of him! We are moving across the country to get said promotion, but it was all worth it to me! We both work for the same company, I am an assistant cosmetics manager, and he is now the assistant store manager.. so we got approval to work in the same store, everything was going good. My bf sent his contract in today, signed and dated, all that good stuff. Well I get a call today saying they need to talk to me about my contract, which I officially get tomorrow.. turns out they want me to take a 3 dollar an hour pay cut. I cannot get those 3 dollars back. I have no idea what to do. I will pick up the contract tomorrow, but won't sent it in until after the long weekend (which is this weekend in Canada). But, thats a LOT of them to ask from me! Infact, they haven't been able to fill my position in their store for over a year, and here I am going from one of the nicest places in Canada to one of the coldest places..

I have no idea what to do, basically I can be the good girl, take a huge pay cut, and likely have to get another job.. and make things easy for my bf. Or, I can fight for it, and possibly jeopardize things for myself and him. I feel SO stuck. I will also being losing 1 of my bonus', which is about 400 a year (guaranteed I lose this), and I will be losing 1,500 in commission that I make working in the busy store I am in now. It's going to net me a 6,000 a year loss. Thats pretty significant.

Anyways.. thanks for letting me rant.. I am an emotional mess and it's 3am, I haven't been awake this late in YEARS! Infact, yesterday I got UP At 4am!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

SwimGirl, negotiate with them. That's too much for them to expect! Make a counter offer at least.

This is a big move to be making... especially if you two are not married... you would be taking an income hit without any benefit to you.

Anyway, negotiate...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

That is a very big cut. What is their justification?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #4  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh that just sucks, SwimGirl! That is really a big financial hit. Interesting how they didn't mention any of this until after they had your BF committed to the move. I agree with the negotiation, but you can't start that process until you know what you are willing to settle for and what is guaranteed to make you walk.

Have you talked this over with the BF yet? How hard would it be, if you took the position with the lower pay, to go back to the old job if you and he break up?

Not a fun place to be at all --- I hope this works out for you.

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I would try to negotiate, but be ready for the fact that they may not go for your counter offer. It's a lot of money to lose, for sure...

Are you and the BF living together now? Would you be if you moved? More than anything...are you willing to go to a long-distance relationship with him if you DON'T take the job, or would you expect him to not take his new job and stay with you?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #6  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I agree about turning in a counter offer. The fact that you will lose money in bonuses and commissions, that might be mentioned too.

Talk this over with your bf. This is HUGE. It is unfair for you to move and maybe have to work TWO jobs so he can advance himself. It should atleast be a lateral move for you, not a couple steps down.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Agree with all the posts above. Now would be a good time for a Pro/Con list.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't believe you are jeopardizing his contract in any way, you are 2 separate people. Negotiate and ask for an explanation on the reason for the pay cut.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Dude that sucks. I would totally negotiate with them and tell them what you told us... in a nice way. I'm crossing fingers for you that everything goes well.

*hugs*
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote