Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:39 AM   #1  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

Default Summer Beauties :)

OK, so we're not bikini ready, BUT that doesn't mean we're frumps! what are some of your favorite summer essentials? Cosmetics? Accessories? Summer beauty tips?

Cosmetics: MAybelline diamond shine lipstick in pink diamonds, glitzy, but still sheer not overpowering, barely there, flirty sparkle, I loooove it

Sheer peachy/ orangy toned lipgloss: Works for everyone, good daytime look, makes lips look utterly kissable, my two are Street Wear Secrets and Lies, very light iridescent peach, and Jane Flavor kiss liquid lipstick in Ginger Zinger.

Eyeliner, Cover girl perfect eye pencil usually the only other makeup I wear... can't live without it in ANY season...

IF I decide to wear makeup on my face, it's Cover Girl AllOverGlow, in rosy glow, from hairline down over shoulders and chest, whatever is exposed, usually for nighttime wear.

Always, always, ALWAYS have my nails shaped and painted....

I did just buy a brighter more lipstick, that I'm in love with... it's a raspberry color, wanted to try something new

My only accessories are my wedding ring, engagement ring, and my original white gold and diamond engagement ring, that I wear on my right hand now, and a small silver friendship pinky ring, BUT, keeping them constantly cleaned and buffed, giving them that *bling-bling* is definately a summer tip everyone should follow for all of their jewelry, any season... I HATE to see someone wearing dull jewelry! I STILL haven't found sunglasses yet, shopping for them is more traumatic than swimsuit shopping for me...

OK, beauty tips, mine are kind of odd... well, some of them...lol

I use a pore cleansing cleanser on my face and chest daily, followed by a light AHA lotion.... witch hazel with tea tree oil in between, if I need it... SUNSCREEN, don't leave home without waterbabies spf 30

once a week, full body polishing routine in the shower, Abba pureskin black walnut body polish, followed by the body hydrator. 2-3 times a week, I mix the body hydrator with a heavy aha cream and use on my arms and legs, to help cell turnover and keep my skin from looking dry.(these are my odd ones...lol) Nightly, I rub the heavy aha creeam into my hands, feet, elbows and knees... those are those alligator spots...lol

and for hair, I use straightening shampoo, conditioner, and spray to cut down on friz, I use v05 shower works hot oil once a week, and coconut oil for moisture

WOW, all that, seems like I'm high maintenence, huh... funny thing is, I take less time to get ready than everyone I know... and wear less makeup and frou-frou....lol
Old 06-12-2002, 12:03 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I don't wear much makeup....usually none, unless I'm getting REALLY dressed up. Hubby likes my fresh freckly face.

I guess my favorite summer accessories are cute hair things to pull my waist-length hair up off my neck. I have a pretty large assortment of clips and the like, and just recently invested in a pair of hairsticks (you know, those chopstick-looking things), which are great for driving with the sunroof open. Also, I seem to favor big hoop earrings in the summer - gold, of course! (I had a pair in high school that were literally as big as embroidery hoops!)

I just recently grew my nails back. I've been a nail-biter on and off since kindergarten, and they really suffered during the school year (stress sends me to my nails!) I had some purple polish on them (can you say "mid-life crisis?" ) until last night. It had chipped pretty badly, so I took it off. I get paid on Monday (my district pays us during the summer, thank goodness!), so I think I will invest in a manicure - maybe a french manicure with pink polish. I would love to get a pedicure, too. It's not my toenails so much as it is my scaly heels. (ick!)

As far as daily stuff....I'm really basic. I wash my hair with Head and Shoulders because I tend towards a flaky scalp. I use cheap conditioner - usually Suave. I buy whatever smells yummy! I have dyed my hair in the past (always a shade to bring out the strawberry blonde in me, usually in the winter when it fades), but no longer. (I had a bad dye experience. It came out with orange - and I mean Bozo-the-Clown-Orange! - stripes. Cost me $100 to fix it.)

I wash my face once a day, in the shower, with Neutrogena products. After years of searching for the right lotion for my hands, I finally found Palmer's Cocoa Butter, which is really cheap and smells SO good!

That's it for me.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:05 PM   #3  
gbo

Personally, I love makeup not so you look like a clown but a great foundation is a must to keep skin tones even and smooth. I prefer a translucent, oil free foundation. (I am quite oily) Eyebrows are a frame for tthe whole face so I keep the stray hair out but follow the natural shape and width. The face is like a canvas and can reflect the inner person, but look to the natural shape and lines of your face. A touch of eyebrow pencil to fill in where my eyebrows run out of hair toward the ends, a soft black liner (I am Apache) to make the eyes pop open , a soft natural shade of brown or gray to highlight a slightly more exotic look... not to much, a little waterproof mascara, a tawny rose blush along the high cheekbones and then a translucent loose power to finish. Jewery that matches my outfit and I am good for the day. As for hair I went from long hair to short and wear a swept up do that is easy to do and looks great.
My nails are bad to break and split but my Sister brought me a nail strengther that really works. I am finally getting my nails back. It is called Nailtechniques and you buy it at a beauty supply. It is really making a major difference to these brittle nails.
it is clear so color is not clashing with anything. My favorit color is artic white but really it looks like the inside of a mussel shell a touch of bluish purple. Still it depends on what you are wearing. I like flash and glitter so you are liable to see drastic and simple on me depending on my mood. Learning a good manicure is a great skill to have! Keep your nails hands and feet the same!

Tips: If you have dry or damaged hair mayonnaise is the best thing in this world for your hair. The eggs offer protein and the oil helps to protect the hair from the elements.
If you have oily hair use Prell it really takes the oil out!!! Once a week make sure you use something like sasson shampoo to keep the protein levels good li your hair.
Never go to sleep in makeup. The best makeup remover going is Ponds, take the make up off, cleanse your face well.(Alpha Hydrox makes a great foaming facial cleanser) and don't forget that neck! Splash with cold water to close pores,then follow with a good moistuiser. Personally I like oil of olay. You can spend a lot more but it works just as well. If you smoke a good moisturiser is a big deal as smoking ages the face.
When you take a shower keepa spritzer handy with baby oil and a touch of scent you love mixed in water . Spritz legs and arms and pat dry.
for chaffing and raw areas or areas that sweat a lot, mix your favorite powder with corn starch it feels wonderful and really beats the heats.
Do not wear dark colors in the summer , dark colors intensifies heat and that can be awful.
Drink a lot of water to help decrease calouses on your feet. Pumise any rough or thick areas. A manicure makes your feet much prettier in those oh so adorable strappy sandals! Cream them often and...........
for hands and feet that rrrrreally need help......
place your hands and feet in warm water for a minute or so lightly pat with towel and cover in vasoline. Place unpowdered surgiacl gloves on your hands and saran wrap or any plastic wrap securely around your feet and ankles. Wear them while you work around the house or while you sleep intil skin sofens and looks young and soft. Your touch should be a pleasure. I often do this as I work so much with my hands.
By the way when you shave your legs the spritz should be used.
Pam
Old 06-12-2002, 11:26 PM   #4  

I'm a no make-up sort of girl, especially in the summer, but I absolutely REQUIRE a pedicure when it becomes sandal season. I personally think shoes in general are the work of evil-doers, so I spend the whole summer with as little on my feet as possible except brightly shaded nail polish. I adore the Nut scented Body Butter from The Body Shop - a little dab will do ya, and it will shape up your heels in nothing flat.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:27 PM   #5  

Well, after reading that I'm quite the bore,lol.

My beauty things are this:

I shower after I go to the gym,

I have wash and go hair, I wash it with what ever happens to be on sale that week at the store, lol. I brush it and let it dry. Once dry I swoop it up into a french twist and clip it. (dh hates it up, o'well)

I wear my wedding ring set. (sometimes. I like to do a lot of things with my hands so most of the day they are off)

I get my eyebrows waxed.

I paint my toes and fingers only if I have a work thing to do, or if the kids want theres painted.

I wear make up only when I need to. (a work thing or going out) Even to the point where people that know me ask me what i'm all dressed up for if I have it on, lol.

I just started to high light my hair.

I have a good pair of sun glasses.

I know, boring. I use cheep soap, and use nothing in my hair. O'well. I still like the way I look, lol.

Bella23
Old 06-13-2002, 08:17 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

Default wow.. you ladies are making me think!!!

i remember the days, before i got so very ill a few years ago, when i didn't leave the house without at least foundation and lipstick, both Borghese because they go best with my nice italian girl skin.

and maybe mascara [but most brands really irritate my eyes].

and i'd get regular manicures and pedicures, and perfume, and blush. and strappy sandals for the summer.

but during my illness, i was lucky to get any kind of clothes on and get out the door, and then back in again!!

now that i'm finally on the mend, i seem to have forgotten all this wonderful girl stuff. all those sweet-smelling, soothing things that pamper and cheer us.

so, a few weeks ago, i went to bath and body shop and bought some midnight pearl stuff: the body sloughing scrub [great on my feet and legs, which flake badly because they swell so much every day, and then return to normal at night], and bath and shower gel, and the bath and shower cream gel. and a brand new long-handled brush.

it's such a pleasure to take a shower at night, now. and come out smelling so nice, and feeling so clean and soft all over.

i carry some lipstick with me, but don't usually put it on [i guess i'm halfway there!!]. and my sister bought me some nice foundation [haven't worn it recently].

but my eyebrows are waxed regulalry, and i've recently started getting weekly manicures, but always a light colo until my nails start growing back. and i always use clinique's moisturizer. the only skin that's not bagging and sagging right now is on my face!!!

there's been a lot of damage that had to be repaired, and it's happening. but it's not quite done yet. but the great news, i suppose, is that i can actually go shopping!!! show up in a mall and go to it!!! i haven't been able to do that for about 3 years.

there's a lot of catching up to do..
Old 06-16-2002, 07:53 PM   #7  
JML
Success Story!!!

You guys are making me feel like a cave woman.

I go through phases with makeup. Right now I'm in a no makeup phase. When I wear it, I wear neutragena foundation with salicylic acid to combat pimples, a little blush, and eyeliner, 2 shades of brown eye shadow (darker shade on the bottom of the lid), and mascara. I do more with eye makeup because I wear glasses and my eyes need a little help to bring them out. I rarely wear lipstick, because I don't want to detract from my eyes.

I like the way makeup looks, but I also like the way no makeup feels --- clean and light.

I hate spending time with my hair, but I can't stand looking like I just rolled out of bed. It bothers me. I have a medium length layered cut that I curl with hot rollers. I can plug them in when I make my bed, throw them in, do something else for a little while, take the things out, style, spray, and I'm done for the day. It actually stays nice all day.

I've tried blow drying, but I just can't seem to get it. I'm not good with hair. I look better when I just get out of bed. However, I wouldn't mind learning how to blow dry properly. The blow dried styles are so nice. I've got the blow dryer and the roundbrush. I'm just such a klutz I can't seem to do it.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #8  

Well, now...I LOVE girly things! (Big girl toys...feminine 'tools'!) I don't always wear makeup. When I'm in a depression, I don't feel like I deserve to look any better than my worst. But, since Jan. 1 (my start date), I have not been depressed...thank you, Lord.

I love Perlier products. I order them off HSN. My favorite is Green Tea. It smells so sweet,light, fresh, and clean. I bought a kit with shower gel, skin lotion, relaxing massage lotion (NOW, if I could just get someone else to use it on me!), deodorant (which I don't use...Secret works much better for me), and eau de parfum. I only use it when I'm going out somewhere special. For everyday use, I use Oil of Olay shower gel.

I only wear makeup when I'm going to church or out to a special function. I don't take the time each day...I'm toooo busy...doing nothing! I usually simply call mysef 'lazy'.

I wash my face (usually in the shower) with a cleanser from Adrian Arpel's line (also on HSN). Then ALWAYS use moisturizer. I'm VERY dry.

I'm a makeup junkie. I have tons of it...even though I don't use it much! I have concealers of all colors...lavender, yellow, blue, light, dark...none of which I use. It usually ends up being blusher, lipstick, and eye makeup. Two colors of shadow (lighter all over and darker in the crease and outer 1/3 of lid, powder liner, brow pencil, and lots of mascara.

I try to keep my nails long. I've been using softer colors for the summer. I LOVE 'cherry's jubilee' from Avon for winter. I also do my toenails. I've never had a pedicure but would LOVE it!

I have multitudes of jewelry (Debby says I need a will because I have an estate now). I have a lot of sterling which I lean toward for summer. But I have a modest collection of gold, too. Then, the majority of it is higher end costume stuff...Joan Rivers, Suzanne Somers, Nolan Miller, Kenneth J. Lane and others. Can you tell I used to be addicted to electronic retailing? So, since I have so much jewelry, I often times chose my outfit to go with the jewelry I want to wear.

Oh, by the way, I should tell you that I'm a shoe-a-holic, too. I have shoes and bags to match most of my outfits. This summer, my favorite colors are turquoise and purple, and I have turq and purple shoes. My current fave outfit is white capris, white tank, and a 36" long gause turq overblouse. Blue topaz jewelry set in silver, a turq beaded headband, turq tongs. I look 'stunning'...even if I must say so myself!

And...I'm gonna look even 'stunning-er' when I lose this weight!!!
Closed Thread